#81 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Okafor is nothing special and is overpaid. They still have Nene to start at C right?

Nene is signed through 2015-2016 at a disgusting 13MM/year.

Okafor has a 14MM player option for 2013-2014 that he's clearly going to pick up (if he hasn't already).

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#82 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Okafor is nothing special and is overpaid. They still have Nene to start at C right?

Well then who goes to #4 if you move Nene to C?

I mean the basic issue isn't how great they are, neither are really good, but they are passable starters at least, and they need that draft pick to start somewhere if they take the same salary back for Okafor (Deng). Not to mention Nene can't stay healthy if you need him that many minutes. They are too thin down low.

@JeremyMStrain

#83 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Nene is signed through 2015-2016 at a disgusting 13MM/year.

Okafor has a 14MM player option for 2013-2014 that he's clearly going to pick up (if he hasn't already).

Both bad contracts. That Okafor/Ariza trade was so bad.

#84 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

I get that Deng is a good player. But I'm wary of the Wizards trading picks after Mike Millar and Randy Foye.

@DJ_McCann

#85 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

I get that Deng is a good player. But I'm wary of the Wizards trading picks after Mike Millar and Randy Foye.

Well the difference is Deng is good and Miller and Foye both are not.

@bopper33

#86 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

I mean the basic issue isn't how great they are, neither are really good, but they are passable starters at least, and they need that draft pick to start somewhere if they take the same salary back for Okafor (Deng). Not to mention Nene can't stay healthy if you need him that many minutes. They are too thin down low.

But again, who cares?

The real question here is this...Do you want Deng or the #3 pick.

Losing Okafor isn't a big deal.  If they played you at the 5 next year, so what?  They aren't likely to be that good and I would bet that a healthy Deng is better than Okafor + 3rd pick anyway.

#87 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

But again, who cares?

The real question here is this...Do you want Deng or the #3 pick.

Losing Okafor isn't a big deal.  If they played you at the 5 next year, so what?  They aren't likely to be that good and I would bet that a healthy Deng is better than Okafor + 3rd pick anyway.

If it's just Deng or #3 it's not a tough choice. If it's lose two starters and get one back with the money coming out the same, it's tougher because they have no way to replace the other starter.

You can have all-stars at 1, 2 and 3 but if you have no 4 and 5 you are going to get out rebounded, and destroyed inside.

@JeremyMStrain

#88 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Pedro is proposing Josh Smith. Don't think they have the cap space for that, though.

I don't watch the Wiz much at all, does Seraphin have any potential to be decent?

#89 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I like Smith but you convinced me he's not worth a max deal so if that's what he is going to get I'd like the Wiz to look elsewhere.  Anyone have a list of PF's available as FAs this summer?  Maybe some diamonds in the rough out there?  With Beal and Deng in this scenario he wouldn't have to be some elite scorer just a solid defender that takes care of the ball.

@bopper33

#90 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Pedro is proposing Josh Smith. Don't think they have the cap space for that, though.

I don't watch the Wiz much at all, does Seraphin have any potential to be decent?

Yeah if they had the room to make ANY kind of move I'd be fine with it, but they are already over the cap (even trickier Okafor and Ariza both have player options for this year it's $21m but no moves made yet).

Seraphin flashed some talent here and there but looks like a bench option at BEST. He has also showed some JaVale McGee like knucklehead action recently off the court.

@JeremyMStrain

#91 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I like Smith but you convinced me he's not worth a max deal so if that's what he is going to get I'd like the Wiz to look elsewhere.  Anyone have a list of PF's available as FAs this summer?  Maybe some diamonds in the rough out there?  With Beal and Deng in this scenario he wouldn't have to be some elite scorer just a solid defender that takes care of the ball.

http://www.hoopsworl...nba-free-agents

I've always liked Carl Landry for a cheaper PF.

#92 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...gents-2013-2014

@JeremyMStrain

#93 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Even though he didn't work out with the Lakers, I feel McRoberts is a good target if one is bargain hunting.

#94 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

I wonder what kind of deal Millsap would command?

@bopper33

#95 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

If it's just Deng or #3 it's not a tough choice. If it's lose two starters and get one back with the money coming out the same, it's tougher because they have no way to replace the other starter.

You can have all-stars at 1, 2 and 3 but if you have no 4 and 5 you are going to get out rebounded, and destroyed inside.

They are going to get destroyed anyway!

Just get the better players and let the rest of the stuff sort itself out as time goes on.

They have Nene at one of the positions as well.

Hell, draft Ryan Kelly in R2 and use him as your 4.  At least he allows you to spread the floor some as well.

#96 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Greg Oden. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Just kidding.

@JeremyMStrain

#97 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

They are going to get destroyed anyway!

Just get the better players and let the rest of the stuff sort itself out as time goes on.

They have Nene at one of the positions as well.

Hell, draft Ryan Kelly in R2 and use him as your 4.  At least he allows you to spread the floor some as well.

If they are getting players for 2 years from now then why go after Deng now then? Clear room and go after someone younger later.

They will be much more respectable than many people give them credit for, especially if they stay healthy.

@JeremyMStrain

#98 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

I wonder what kind of deal Millsap would command?

Probably too much for the Wiz.

#99 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,636 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well I am texting with the two die-hard Wiz fans I have season tickets with -- one hates this idea one loves it so I guess it really is a divisive topic.

I'm on record saying I like the trade.

@bopper33

#100 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

If they are getting players for 2 years from now then why go after Deng now then? Clear room and go after someone younger later.

They will be much more respectable than many people give them credit for, especially if they stay healthy.

Yeah, if the plan is to improve for beyond this year, getting Deng may not make much sense. Go with the draft pick and build around the 3 young guys while waiting to clear some cap space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=