#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball/maryland-not-our-rival-not-our-conference/mkline/

LOL @ the K quote... he's not wrong. It sucks that some stupid MD fans have made us all look like morons.

#84 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Soapbox much?

They aren't wrong in that we aren't a true rivalry, but most of the casual fans today jumped on the bandwagon back when we did have a rivalry going, and can't let it go.

Do I think we have a true rivalry with ANY of these schools? No. Do I think there is always an extra little something a step down from a rivalry in every ACC game? Yes.

That "childish behavior" they are getting on happens at every school, I've seen it first hand at most of them, so to try to talk down because of the for lack of a better word...passion of the fanbase back during that elite period is pretty stupid. Especially since it happened a decade ago.
@JeremyMStrain

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Soapbox much?

They aren't wrong in that we aren't a true rivalry, but most of the casual fans today jumped on the bandwagon back when we did have a rivalry going, and can't let it go.

Do I think we have a true rivalry with ANY of these schools? No. Do I think there is always an extra little something a step down from a rivalry in every ACC game? Yes.

That "childish behavior" they are getting on happens at every school, I've seen it first hand at most of them, so to try to talk down because of the for lack of a better word...passion of the fanbase back during that elite period is pretty stupid. Especially since it happened a decade ago.

I feel like the childish behavior at Maryland was among the worst in the country for a while there. I could be wrong, I don't have the perspective that others may on how poorly behaved other universities are. But it doesn't seem like I hear about rioting that much from other schools.

#86 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I feel like the childish behavior at Maryland was among the worst in the country for a while there. I could be wrong, I don't have the perspective that others may on how poorly behaved other universities are. But it doesn't seem like I hear about rioting that much from other schools.

It got a lot of press because it was caught on live broadcast, and it was pretty bad for a while, don't get me wrong, throwing batteries at players and parents is crossing a line, but I've been to other schools and see the profane chants and taunts as much as here.

These are 18-22 year old kids, most of them on their own for the first time in their lives, with pride, school spirit, alcohol and group think playing a part, of course things like this are going to happen, they do all over. To act like it only happens there is just dumb.
@JeremyMStrain

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

It got a lot of press because it was caught on live broadcast, and it was pretty bad for a while, don't get me wrong, throwing batteries at players and parents is crossing a line, but I've been to other schools and see the profane chants and taunts as much as here.

These are 18-22 year old kids, most of them on their own for the first time in their lives, with pride, school spirit, alcohol and group think playing a part, of course things like this are going to happen, they do all over. To act like it only happens there is just dumb.

Well the profane chants I get, I barely even have a problem with that... but some of the riots, burning couches, flipping cars, etc. That happened a few times IIRC, and that's just ridiculous.

#88 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Well the profane chants I get, I barely even have a problem with that... but some of the riots, burning couches, flipping cars, etc. That happened a few times IIRC, and that's just ridiculous.

Greatly exaggerated. I was there. First "riot" was nothing more than a bunch of people streaming across campus with the uprights from the practice field to frat row celebrating. There were 2 bonfires that drunk people threw 1 couch and the uprights into.

The second one was a copycat version, but much more tame and more scattered around campus.

Even after the national title game the cops started shooting before ANYTHING happened, we couldn't even get out of the bar after the buzzer and they were shooting pepper ball bullets into the crowd, it was redic.
@JeremyMStrain

#89 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Greatly exaggerated. I was there. First "riot" was nothing more than a bunch of people streaming across campus with the uprights from the practice field to frat row celebrating. There were 2 bonfires that drunk people threw 1 couch and the uprights into.

The second one was a copycat version, but much more tame and more scattered around campus.

Even after the national title game the cops started shooting before ANYTHING happened, we couldn't even get out of the bar after the buzzer and they were shooting pepper ball bullets into the crowd, it was redic.

Right or wrong, the perception is much worse though.

Even Gary hated it. It got way more attention in MD than anywhere else.

Should it? Maybe not but again, the perception isn't good at all.

#90 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

CBS Sports: ACC files lawsuit against Maryland seeking full payment of $50M exit fee

http://www.cbssports...of-50m-exit-fee

Let the legal battle begin!
@levineps

#91 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

CBS Sports: ACC files lawsuit against Maryland seeking full payment of $50M exit fee

http://www.cbssports...of-50m-exit-fee

Let the legal battle begin!

Interesting that the ACC is filing already, since I don't believe UM has publicly said they won't pay the $50 mil....yet. But like any divorce, the only winners will be the attorneys.

#92 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

http://espn.go.com/c... ... ent-rumors

UNC saying it won't go anywhere.

Do you believe them?

#93 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8683443/north-carolina-athletic-director-email-responds-realignment-rumors

Do you believe them?

Wasn't it VT who sued to keep the Big East together, how did that work out? The schools will do what is in their own self-interest. My guess is when the dust clears on all of this, the Big East (or former C-USA) and what's left of it is going to align with what is left of the ACC.
@levineps

#94 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8683443/north-carolina-athletic-director-email-responds-realignment-rumors

Do you believe them?

Even though they were both founding members, I think UNC is a much bigger stakeholder in the ACC than MD. But to say with 100% certainty UNC would not leave for a more lucrative offer.....no, I don't necessarily believe that either. Especially if it looks serious that other schools could follow UM out.

#95 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Wasn't it VT who sued to keep the Big East together, how did that work out? The schools will do what is in their own self-interest. My guess is when the dust clears on all of this, the Big East (or former C-USA) and what's left of it is going to align with what is left of the ACC.

It was the Connecticut AG who tried to sue. VT used the backing of the VA governor to get them into the ACC, when they were not a part of the initial expansion plans.

#96 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

It was the Connecticut AG who tried to sue. VT used the backing of the VA governor to get them into the ACC, when they were not a part of the initial expansion plans.

They were one of the plantiffs IIRC, but yeah it's pretty ironic with the UConn AG now even if it's some years later.
@levineps

#97 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

CBS Sports: Big Ten may keep Rutgers and Maryland off network

http://www.cbssports...and-off-network
@levineps

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

CBS Sports: Big Ten may keep Rutgers and Maryland off network

http://www.cbssports...and-off-network

I wouldn't be too concerned about MD....I think there's just enough Terps support to get it on the basic tiers. NYC will be a much different matter though.

Just glad I have DirecTV and already get BTN on my basic tier. :D

#99 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

ESPN: ACC seeking $52 million exit fee

http://espn.go.com/c...t-maryland-exit

A North Carolina appeals court Tuesday preserved a lawsuit that could force the University of Maryland to pay a $52 million fee for leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=