98 replies to this topic

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Like I said before, I would guess that our designated rival will be Rutgers. Not sure why they would change things up from the past rivalries. But it won't matter all that much imo.

Rutgers is already in the same division. The question is who the cross-divisional rival is.

#42 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

East (Leaders) West (Legends)

Indiana Illinois

Maryland Iowa

Ohio State Michigan

Penn State Michigan State

Purdue Minnesota

Rutgers Nebraska

Wisconsin Northwestern

I like that UM will play PSU, OSU every year. That might wear off after they get slaughtered a few times, but the novelty will be cool for the first year or two.....especially for the old-timers who miss playing Penn State.

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Rutgers is already in the same division. The question is who the cross-divisional rival is.

Oh ok. Well whoever it is, it's going to be meh.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Will you guys be happy if/when the Big 10 expands to 16 teams....because 2 potential teams are Duke and UNC.

That would basically make this move the best of all worlds for Terps fans if that happens, right?

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,931 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Will you guys be happy if/when the Big 10 expands to 16 teams....because 2 potential teams are Duke and UNC.

That would basically make this move the best of all worlds for Terps fans if that happens, right?

If Duke and UNC were coming, I'd like this move a lot more.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Sure, it would be great to have them. I'd be happy with UVA too. I still think they're going to try to hold out for Notre Dame though.

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Adding those two teams would be great.

However, I would love if UNC screwed over Duke and left without them. ;) So it would be UNC and lets say UVA.

Not that I expect that.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Adding those two teams would be great.

However, I would love if UNC screwed over Duke and left without them. ;) So it would be UNC and lets say UVA.

Not that I expect that.

Cant imagine UNC and Duke splitting up...that would have to be a package deal you would think.

ALTHOUGH, if the Big 10 doesn't want Duke(because of football) and its too profitable for UNC to say no, you wonder if they would split?

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Cant imagine UNC and Duke splitting up...that would have to be a package deal you would think.

ALTHOUGH, if the Big 10 doesn't want Duke(because of football) and its too profitable for UNC to say no, you wonder if they would split?

I don't think that would be the only reason they wouldn't necessarily want them much. The other reason is that they'd do nothing for them in terms of expanding their TV market if they could get UNC without them.

But yeah, I doubt that happens.

BTW, is there anything prohibiting basketball teams from playing each other twice in out of conference play?

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I think it's more about the makeup of the school. Most Big 10 schools are large, public, state universities that are also good academically. The only real exception to the rule is Northwestern and I seem to recall they were a tough sell to get into the conference.

That said, I can't imagine a world where dook and unc aren't in the same conference.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

The ACC would have to reach the point where things are as bad as they are in the Big East right now for UNC to leave Duke. I doubt it will get to that point for the ACC. At worst they will become what the Big East used to be, which is still a little better than the current Big East, CUSA, MWC, etc.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

So that Ohio State becomes the FSU game in years we host. I'm wondering if they move it off-campus to M&T or FedEx? I hope not, but if they are trying to get a few $$$, they'll do it.
@levineps

#53 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

I don't think that would be the only reason they wouldn't necessarily want them much. The other reason is that they'd do nothing for them in terms of expanding their TV market if they could get UNC without them.

But yeah, I doubt that happens.

BTW, is there anything prohibiting basketball teams from playing each other twice in out of conference play?

I don't think so...I know it has happened with Duke in terms of playing a scheduled game and then also playing that team in one of the tourneys in November.

But in terms of actually scheduling them? i don't see why not.

It just makes it harder because you play X amount of NC games and you have to get a lot of teams in..plus the big schools want some cupcake games.

I will be interested to see if MD and Duke do any kind of home and home series...but I think for that to happen, MD would have to give Duke 2 games and Duke give MD 1...with the idea that MD wants/needs it more than Duke, so you go by our terms or not at all.

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

So that Ohio State becomes the FSU game in years we host. I'm wondering if they move it off-campus to M&T or FedEx? I hope not, but if they are trying to get a few $$$, they'll do it.

Probably so. And when the time comes I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens when Michigan and Nebraska visit.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Missouri and Kansas were supposed to be incredible rivals and Mizzou left the Big 12 and Kansas behind.

Do we have solid information that UNC is incredibly loyal to Duke or are we just speculating because they have a great basketball rivalry?

#56 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

The ACC would have to reach the point where things are as bad as they are in the Big East right now for UNC to leave Duke. I doubt it will get to that point for the ACC. At worst they will become what the Big East used to be, which is still a little better than the current Big East, CUSA, MWC, etc.

Yea, I don't think it happens either.

if FSU and Clemson bolt and then VT and UVA leave, I could see the ACC add teams like Louisville, memphis, Marquette, Nova, etc...Maybe some football but also a lot of basketball only teams...and be the new Big East, where they have a lot of schools not playing football.

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I don't think so...I know it has happened with Duke in terms of playing a scheduled game and then also playing that team in one of the tourneys in November.

But in terms of actually scheduling them? i don't see why not.

It just makes it harder because you play X amount of NC games and you have to get a lot of teams in..plus the big schools want some cupcake games.

I will be interested to see if MD and Duke do any kind of home and home series...but I think for that to happen, MD would have to give Duke 2 games and Duke give MD 1...with the idea that MD wants/needs it more than Duke, so you go by our terms or not at all.

I was just wondering because in theory, if that is allowed, UNC and Duke could still have a home and home regardless of if they're in the same conference.

#58 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Missouri and Kansas were supposed to be incredible rivals and Mizzou left the Big 12 and Kansas behind.

Do we have solid information that UNC is incredibly loyal to Duke or are we just speculating because they have a great basketball rivalry?

I think the loyalty would be there.

It goes beyond just basketball, although that is obviously the #1 thing.

Hopefully Nuclear and Seth can chime in on this one.

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

There's a distinction though with the Mizzou/Kansas analogy. Mizzou left because they were very unhappy with the Big XII and the revenue disparity (they practically begged for a B1G invite that never came). Both UNC and Duke are very happy with the ACC right now, and MD leaving shouldn't change that. But like I said, if the ACC starts going through what the Big East has, then it's every man for himself.

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Probably so. And when the time comes I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens when Michigan and Nebraska visit.

Northwestern probably faces the same dilemma, they scheduled an Illinois game for Wrigley, which ironically seats less, atleast baseball-wise. I can't seem to recall them rescheduling one for Soldier Field atleast recently, maybe they have?

I could see MD doing it more likely for Michigan, heck I'd say Penn State would be more likely than Nebraska if the demand was there (assuming they aren't too hurt from the scandal if the program falters). For Nebraska, they'd probably have to see that 20k+ Nerbaskans would travel for that game.

I think they'll always schedule 6 home games, if they have a 7th I can see it.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=