172 replies to this topic

#161 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:21 PM

Hays might have had the best chance to get on base. Mountcastle and Cowser are both striking out.

Hays gets on base, and Mateo steals second. 

I'm not sure who you want up at that point, but Mateo providing a distraction is enough for both options to deposit a pitch into the seats. Which means yeah, Cowser being a lefty might've been the correct choice. 

#162 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:31 PM

Hays getting on base is no sure thing. He's more likely than Mountcastle to go up swinging away at every slider 3 feet outside.

#163 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:34 PM

So you're saying Cowser tying it with one swing into SRO is the right choice?

#164 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 05:03 AM

I liked the idea of Cowser driving somebody in, but I wouldn't have sent Mounty up to get on base.

Should've been Hays.

TBF, Mullins missed a game tying HR by what, 5-6 feet?

I agree that Hayes was likely the better pinch hitting candidate in that situation.

He's 1-3 lifetime vs. Barlow and Mountcastle was 1- 4 lifetime against him. It's likely the strategy was that Mountcastle had the better chance of tying the game with one swing.

Cowser has been pretty cold as of late(one for his last twelve) so I can see not using him in a situation where you need a baserunner.

That said, the fact remains that Barlow stuck out the side.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#165 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 06:39 AM

Orioles hitters are always going to be susceptible to extended slumps because outside of Gunnar and to a lesser extent, Adley, they're a free-swinging bunch.  They'll score in bunches but also go dry at times.  The pitching staff has outperformed all season and that hides a lot of offensive deficiencies but now with the season ending injuries, I'm afraid it's going to get a lot harder to keep the winning pace they've had. I expect the pitching to start giving up more runs and increasing the pressure on the hitters to make up for it.  They have to get another quality starter and reliever for the second half.  To keep going out there, as is, I think you can kiss the division goodbye and they'll probably stagger down the stretch and into the play-offs as a wild card team.  Better than not being there at all but hardly the best-case scenario.  Elias obviously knows what they need so we'll see how it plays out over the next month.  

#166 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 June 2024 - 08:13 AM

Get Dave Johnson the F out of the booth.

My memory is that he was once a pretty good (not great) color guy. The Houston games were blacked out for me, so this is the first time I've heard him in awhile, and you're right. He's terrible. Why was he going on and on and on and on about his son? Who cares about your son and his 15 minutes of a major league career. He's been out of baseball twice as long as he was in baseball. Enough with that "invisiball" nonsense.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#167 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,381 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 June 2024 - 08:44 AM

I just figured that although likely wouldn't matter as we were going to lose in any event, but with 2 outs its seems more likely to get a big swing homer than 2 consecutive hits. And Cowser was the best chance at that, albeit low odds.

#168 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:29 AM

My memory is that he was once an pretty good (not great) color guy. The Houston games were blacked out for me, so this is the first time I've heard him in awhile, and you're right. He's terrible. Why was he going on and on and on and on about his son? Who cares about your son and his 15 minutes of a major league career. He's been out of baseball twice as long as he was in baseball. Enough with that "invisiball" nonsense.  

He's been up there for all the games in the losing streak.  0-fer Dave Johnson.  I never thought I'd say this but I'm beginning to miss Jim Palmer. 

• weird-O likes this

#169 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:39 AM

The CWS is over so Ben should be back soon.

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#170 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:44 AM

I went last night and it was a good game.  The hitting is in a funk but the pitching was good.  

I was worried Povich was going to be gone by the third after 30 pitches in the first, but he dug in and really pitched well.  He got beat by a great hitter.

The BP was good.  Akin is on a roll the last week or two.  His 9th inning was near perfect.

I sit in section 46 behind the plate and my seat lines up with the first baseline.  The Santander throw was absolutely perfect.  One of the best throws I have seen as far as accuracy.

I am going to go again tonight.  We are going to win.  Call in my Charles Barkley (GUARANTEE)

@mikeghg

#171 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:46 AM

I agree that Hayes was likely the better pinch hitting candidate in that situation.

He's 1-3 lifetime vs. Barlow and Mountcastle was 1- 4 lifetime against him. It's likely the strategy was that Mountcastle had the better chance of tying the game with one swing.

Cowser has been pretty cold as of late(one for his last twelve) so I can see not using him in a situation where you need a baserunner.

That said, the fact remains that Barlow stuck out the side.

I am a Hays fan, but I am using Mountcastle in that situation every time.  Two outs, you are hoping for a blast and Mounty gives you the best shot.  Plus he is the better hitter.  

• Mackus likes this
@mikeghg

#172 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:49 AM

Our best chance for the comeback was the 8th.  I really thought Kjerstad was going to get one and that was before he came up.  That at bat was a terrific battle.  He just got under the last pitch.  I thought Santander was going to need an oxygen tank after all the 3-2 foul balls.

@mikeghg

#173 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:24 AM

I am a Hays fan, but I am using Mountcastle in that situation every time. Two outs, you are hoping for a blast and Mounty gives you the best shot. Plus he is the better hitter.

You convinced me
  • Mike B and Ravens2006 like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=