You obviously haven’t golfed lately.

#62 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 09:24 PM

They aren't taking removing Kremer from the rotation. Wells was the guy but his elbow is shot.

#63 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 06:04 AM

You obviously haven’t golfed lately.

Golfing today, actually. Yeah it's pricey but not stadium-level pricey!

I left after two hours. I wasn't expecting the game to start until 8. 

Kinda glad I didn't stay.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#64 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 06:41 AM

The bullpen has been pitching great lately so I'm not going to rag on them because of last night.  The whole pitching staff has been elite and one of the best in baseball.  And if it wasn't for the pitching, this team would probably be a few games over .500.  You aren't going to win many games scoring 2-3 runs.  

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 07:04 AM

8th overall in runs scored.

#66 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:52 AM

8th overall in runs scored.

Not lately. 

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 08:57 AM

Not lately. 

Well, obviously.  Cumulative stats vs 'lately.' 

Could the offense be better? Sure. 

The team as a whole is very good; and I don't believe they've played near their best ball yet. 

Which is kind of crazy to say when they are on a 105 win pace.

#68 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:33 AM

Well, obviously.  Cumulative stats vs 'lately.' 

Could the offense be better? Sure. 

The team as a whole is very good; and I don't believe they've played near their best ball yet. 

Which is kind of crazy to say when they are on a 105 win pace.

I tend to think this is about where they are and will be going forward.  Pitching dominates the game and the Orioles are no exception. There's a decent chance that no one hits .300 on this team but will do most of their damage via the long ball.  They'll score just enough runs to complement their pitching/defense and win around 95 games.  Can't complain about that.  Could be a lot worse.  Still, it's tough to watch with the game being so one-dimensional. 

#69 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 May 2024 - 09:55 AM

Only 19 qualified players in all of MLB are hitting .300 or better. It wouldn’t be a team failure if nobody on the Orioles did.

#70 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:38 AM

I tend to think this is about where they are and will be going forward.  Pitching dominates the game and the Orioles are no exception. There's a decent chance that no one hits .300 on this team but will do most of their damage via the long ball.  They'll score just enough runs to complement their pitching/defense and win around 95 games.  Can't complain about that.  Could be a lot worse.  Still, it's tough to watch with the game being so one-dimensional. 

Actually, offense is down across the League this year.  We'll see if the summer months picks it up, but probably another micro-change to the ball as they seek whatever it is that they seek.

Since you seem fine tuned to the fractional changes in 3-outcome rates, I'm sure you're getting more enjoyment of the Game this season with HR, BB and K rates all lower this year.  Yay.

#71 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:41 AM

Actually, offense is down across the League this year.  We'll see if the summer months picks it up, but probably another micro-change to the ball as they seek whatever it is that they seek.

Since you seem fine tuned to the fractional changes in 3-outcome rates, I'm sure you're getting more enjoyment of the Game this season with HR, BB and K rates all lower this year.  Yay.

That was my point.  It's a one-dimensional game right now and pretty hard to watch.  At least for me.  But I know I'm in the minority and most younger people really have no reference point to compare other time periods, so the game today is the bee's knees to them. 

#72 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 10:42 AM

Only 19 qualified players in all of MLB are hitting .300 or better. It wouldn’t be a team failure if nobody on the Orioles did.

Pretty sad, isn't it? 

#73 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:07 AM

That was my point.  It's a one-dimensional game right now and pretty hard to watch.  At least for me.  But I know I'm in the minority and most younger people really have no reference point to compare other time periods, so the game today is the bee's knees to them. 

The approach you don't like is down this year, which means your enjoyment is up, right?

#74 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:17 AM

I just think its funny that .300 is still some arbitrary standard number that oldheads look at as having some kind of relevence. For one, its absolutely harder to hit for avg today. Pitchers throw harder, more breaking pitches, nastier pitches, shifting, etc. Two, and most importantly we know how we can value and compare hitters over eras. Adam Dunn who hit .237 for his career and struck out a billion times was a more productive offensive player than Steve Garvey who hit .294 for his career. Its undeniable
  • BobPhelan likes this

#75 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:22 AM

Chris Gomez hit .302 over 581 PAs and 3 years as an Oriole. We need more Chris Gomez's.

#76 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:27 AM

We need guys who get on base so guys who hit home runs aren't doing so with empty bases.

#77 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:35 AM

O'Hearn, Cowser, Gunnar, Westburg, and Adley are all between. .372-.344 OBP, which is fine. Mountcastle, is a little under where you'd like to see him. Mateo is over .300, which is good for him.

Santander and especially Mullins have killed the offense. Would also be nice to get some contribution from Hays.

#78 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:55 AM

Hitters today don't even try to hit for a higher average because its meaningless to them. Its not that the better hitters couldn't do it, they just don't care. They gladly take their strikeouts and wait for the next, best chance to hit a homerun. Hey, if this what you dig, carry on.

#79 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 19 May 2024 - 12:02 PM

The 96 Orioles hit 257 HRs and batted .274 as a team. That .274 BA would lead the all of MLB by far in 2024. It was 10th in the AL in 1996. They certainly didn't have to sacrifice average for power back then, and I don't think the guys of that ERA we're significantly better hitters than this ERA, minus the supplements.

The game just evolves and changes.

#80 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 May 2024 - 01:21 PM

Hitters today don't even try to hit for a higher average because its meaningless to them. Its not that the better hitters couldn't do it, they just don't care. They gladly take their strikeouts and wait for the next, best chance to hit a homerun. Hey, if this what you dig, carry on.

Yes because that has been proven to be the more valuable way to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=