44 replies to this topic

#41 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 10:23 AM

Good post even though we differ in how much run we'd give him.

People can keep talking about how these other people struggled to start their careers, but this is on a whole different level. It's not just struggling, it's complete ineptitude as he's simply being overmatched to date. He's taking hittable pitches, sometimes for strike 3, he's getting blown away by average ish fastballs, and he's not really getting particularly unfortunate results when he does actually put the ball in play.

Yeah, Gunnar was "bad" but after game 3 last year his OPS was only under .600 on one day. I think we'd all be mostly fine keeping him up and working through it if that's the kind of bad we were talking about.

Bregman started his career 2-38, .053/.143/.053 in 10 games. He only had 18 games at AAA but was 22. He then went 3-5 and had a .938 OPS the rest of the year (39 more games). I guess that's the hope, and Elias watched it happen.

• mweb08 likes this

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, Gunnar was "bad" but after game 3 last year his OPS was only under .600 on one day. I think we'd all be mostly fine keeping him up and working through it if that's the kind of bad we were talking about.

Bregman started his career 2-38, .053/.143/.053 in 10 games. He only had 18 games at AAA but was 22. He then went 3-5 and had a .938 OPS the rest of the year (39 more games). I guess that's the hope, and Elias watched it happen.

Regarding Bregman, I'd want to see batted ball data to get a better idea of how those at bats went besides the awful outcomes, but him striking out 10 out of 38 at bats compared to Holliday's 18 times in 34 at bats is a significant difference.
  • makoman likes this

#43 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:05 AM

Good post even though we differ in how much run we'd give him.

People can keep talking about how these other people struggled to start their careers, but this is on a whole different level. It's not just struggling, it's complete ineptitude as he's simply being overmatched to date. He's taking hittable pitches, sometimes for strike 3, he's getting blown away by average ish fastballs, and he's not really getting particularly unfortunate results when he does actually put the ball in play.

It's one thing to be bad but when you're bad and you look bad at the same time it's a different level. That's why I keep saying he needs to swing early because once he gets down it's over. He got his 2nd hit by swinging at the first pitch.

#44 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,289 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 11:13 AM

It's one thing to be bad but when you're bad and you look bad at the same time it's a different level. That's why I keep saying he needs to swing early because once he gets down it's over. He got his 2nd hit by swinging at the first pitch.

That's also how Henderson got out of his rut last year. He became a lot more aggressive early in the count.

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 12:10 PM

Unless he has a nice weekend vs Oak I dont want him starting against NY. Obviously he wont vs lefties anyway. But not against RHP too. Again, Ill say to look beyond the slash line numbers and dig into more advanced stats. You strike out at this rate and hit the ball on the ground at this rate you have to make some real changes to mechanics and approach. Not gonna be easy to do that up here at the MLB level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=