The last two drafts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:57 PM

Look at the stats for the 2 Class A teams. Not much there. Delmarva has yet to win. Frankly, Bowie doesn't knock my sox off, either. It's early, I know. But I hope this year's draft is more productive.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,880 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:01 PM

Uh...they've already graduated someone from the 2022 class. And you're worried about how many games into the lower level seasons?

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,476 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:04 PM

Well if they ain't hitting like Norfolk then they're just not worth a damn, I guess.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:05 PM

I don't even know how to respond to this thread.
  • BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,880 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:06 PM

Aside from the obvious in Holliday...Bradfield is #5, Beavers #7, Horvath #11, Fabian #12, Wagner #14, and Baumeister #18 in the system.

Really don't understand this complaint right now. What do you expect?

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,735 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:12 PM

Should start to see the talent from Latin America begin to trickle into Delmarva and Aberdeen, too.

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,613 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:40 PM

Mike, enjoy the place this organization is in and relax bud.

• Mike B and russsnyder like this

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:18 PM

Of course there needs to be more time and as pointed out there is still some talent showing fron the last 2 drafts . That said, 2 things of note. One, we drafted more pitching in '23. That is likely going to come along a bit more slow. Or at least its gonna be hard to pop off the screen throwing once every 5 days or so vs playing every day. Two, people need to understand how unreal it was to hit on 7 or 8 draft prospects who flew through the minors  . 1 or 2 is understandable. Granted numerous high 1st round picks but Adley, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Norby, Westburg, Gunnar, Holliday all essentially flew through the minors at essentially the same time. Playing multiple levels each year. Especially the HS draftees. The track say Beavers is on is much more common and Beaver while prob never a top 100 guy is a real prospect. Keep normal in perspective

• makoman likes this

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:00 PM

Interesting thread.

Drafting is important. I’d argue player development is more important. You don’t hit on this many players without the latter being dialed in.

I have ZERO concerns about these past two draft classes.

I know it’s rich coming from me given my meltdowns in 2021-2022, but in Elias we trust. There isn’t a better GM in baseball.
  • BobPhelan, russsnyder and makoman like this

#10 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:59 AM

Anybody checking the minors lately?

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,880 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:03 AM

https://forum.baltim...hart-and-stats/

https://forum.baltim...hart-and-stats/

• BobPhelan likes this

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 April 2024 - 10:54 PM

I don't have any specific problems with the last 2 drafts.

I will say this.  The first 3 drafts were (seemed) very stable in their execution.  Who they drafted, signing across the board, methodical.

The 2022 draft was chaos compared to the first 3 drafts.  Nobody seems to care and we don't have to discuss it, but it was.  Very different from the apparent execution previously. 

We had some hyper-oddity in the 2023 draft also.  Something nobody wants to try and explain (laughed about it, but it's insane that it happened).

My guess would be the 2024 draft will look a lot like the 2019-2021 drafts. 

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 05:09 AM

I don't have any specific problems with the last 2 drafts.

I will say this.  The first 3 drafts were (seemed) very stable in their execution.  Who they drafted, signing across the board, methodical.

The 2022 draft was chaos compared to the first 3 drafts.  Nobody seems to care and we don't have to discuss it, but it was.  Very different from the apparent execution previously. 

We had some hyper-oddity in the 2023 draft also.  Something nobody wants to try and explain (laughed about it, but it's insane that it happened).

My guess would be the 2024 draft will look a lot like the 2019-2021 drafts. 

What about the 2022 draft was "chaos" in comparison to the previous drafts?  Looks pretty par for the course to me.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 06:12 AM

What about the 2022 draft was "chaos" in comparison to the previous drafts?  Looks pretty par for the course to me.

He was asked this in the past and predictably gave a dude like cryptic response. He said every single pick was "weird" or "strange". Im not sure what the exact quote was so I dont want him to be able to focus his response on me misquoting him if I didnt get the exact quote correct. 

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:52 PM

He was asked this in the past and predictably gave a dude like cryptic response. 

This is a lie.  I asked you if you wanted to go through them and you passed (or seemed to).  I don't really care.  It's a conversation about baseball.  Some people want to get bent on things when you point them out, but again, it's observation, I don't really care.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,273 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:13 PM

No one is gonna sit here and go through 20 + freaking picks wirh you and discuss why each one was weird or strange. Call me a liar you intellectually dishonest post deleting/changing bandwagon Os fan. Convienant you responded to my post instead of glenn's post. Wait for this doozy glenn. Assuming he even repsonds to you.

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:34 PM

Looks pretty par for the course to me.

What was their signing % the first 3 drafts?

#18 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:39 PM

No one is gonna sit here and go through 20 + freaking picks wirh you and discuss why each one was weird or strange.

fwiw, I'm ok doing it or not doing it.  Point out simple things and people want to get bent.  Don't really care and then they want to know why we're on 18 (or 80) pages.  <<shrug>>  The fact is I was willing to and you (apparently) didn't want to.  That's ok, but don't act like I'm the intellectual coward.

Call me a liar you intellectually dishonest post deleting/changing bandwagon Os fan. 

So you call me intellectually dishonest and can't get through the sentence without proving you are the intellectually dishonest one.  Way to go Wile E.  Can't make this stuff up.

#19 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:06 AM

What was their signing % the first 3 drafts?

I don't know off the top of my head.  You tell me.

I know in 2022 they had the McLean kid that didn't sign and then they took some late round fliers on some guys.  If that's what you're referring to as chaos then perhaps we just have very different ideas of what chaos means.

#20 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:24 AM

Cowser was hitting .205 with 24 strikeouts in 55 PA in his first year in Aberdeen. Last years draft looks promising to me but a lot depends on Bradfield.

I don’t understand Dude’s comments on the last two drafts but that’s ok. It’s like pulling teeth to get an answer and then you probably need a Dude to English translator. Sure, Bradfield didn’t fit their typical college batter profile. No lefty power bats is maybe what he’s talking about. Horvath and Cunningham are RH bats with power. Last year was the CF draft. Bradfield, Josenberger (2B so far) and Etzel (10th) are more speed guys.

As for the 2022 draft, again I don’t see the issue. They nailed 1:1, went with Beavers next, then Wagner and Fabian. Most of their drafts involve hitting big on their first two selections and so so after that, with the exception of Ortiz and Mayo, in 2019 and 2020 both in the 4th round.

2019 Adley and Gunnar
2020 Kjerstad and Westburg
2021 Cowser and Norby
2022 Holliday and Beavers
2023 Bradfield and Horvath. (TBD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=