#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,706 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:41 PM

Forgot KC got Wacha. He's good.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:48 PM

Game 4 without Cowser in a starting lineup.

• SonicAttack likes this

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,706 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:52 PM

Yeah if they brought him north, you're going to have to find a way to get him (regular) ABs.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,390 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:52 PM

This is a bummer. 

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:53 PM

Not surprising. Its gonna take an injury or extended poor play for him to get reg ABs. It also makes me wonder if they see him in the same light as some of their other guys. Hes getting the Stowers treatment while Gunnar got immediate PT. Westburg didnt play every day last year but probably 4-5 days a week. I think we know Holliday will play regularly once he arrives. Same with Mayo IMO. You were surprised they didnt move Hays. I saw others suggest moving Santander this offseason. To make room for Cowser, Kjerstad or both. Im not sure they really believe in either.

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:33 PM

Two righty starters and still no Cowser. Then I would MUCH prefer they had kept McKenna and sent Cowser down. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#9 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:45 PM

Hyde said Cowser would possibly start tomorrow. Said something like it’s hard to fit guys in at the beginning cause nobody needs a day off, will get more chances when people start needing a break.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,138 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:46 PM

Hyde said Cowser would possibly start tomorrow. Said something like it’s hard to fit guys in at the beginning cause nobody needs a day off, will get more chances when people start needing a break.

Kind of what I was thinking.  Early season is different because everyone is fresh and there are lots of off days.  

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:50 PM

Thats an excuse. The plan, if they trust and believe in him, should have been he plays 4-5 days a week from the jump. Might as well play him vs LHP too. Not like Mateo/McCann are world beaters and thats 100% who whos essentially gonna take the OHearn spot against LHP. OD it was Mateo. Yesterday it was McCann as Adley DHed
  • makoman likes this

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:54 PM

Sure, what Mako and Mack says makes sense, but I still would have liked to see Cowser get one of these starts against righties. 

As I said before though, I fear this is a much bigger issue than simply no need for rest days at the beginning of the year. I don't see where the playing time is coming from unless there's an injury or poor performance from someone he'd step in for (good chance of that happening at some point). The guys he'd step in for are all either going to be treated as everyday players and/or would get days off against lefties (Mullins and O'Hearn + some Adley at DH while McCann catches).

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 03:56 PM

But as my love/hate relationship with Cowser shows I also understand why they are hesitant to take ABs away from OHearn or Hays for him too. I dont think they exactly know what they have with him either. Or better put are leery to just throw him in there to find out in a season with such high expectations

#14 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:05 PM

Sure, what Mako and Mack says makes sense, but I still would have liked to see Cowser get one of these starts against righties. 

As I said before though, I fear this is a much bigger issue than simply no need for rest days at the beginning of the year. I don't see where the playing time is coming from unless there's an injury or poor performance from someone he'd step in for (good chance of that happening at some point). The guys he'd step in for are all either going to be treated as everyday players and/or would get days off against lefties (Mullins and O'Hearn + some Adley at DH while McCann catches).

Yeah, it makes sense what he said but ultimately I agree with what you and 2035 said. Maybe it will change later in the year, but they seem to have a weird relationship with their prospects, loathe to trade them or to really play them sometimes. I thought it'd be different with him than Stowers, and again I'll say yes it's early, but they aren't exactly treating him like a top 50 in baseball prospect, no reason that kind of guy shouldn't play several times a week and just kind of sink or swim. Maybe the prospect rankers are wrong, but if BA and pipeline like him that much you'd think somebody in baseball does too and would give you some sort of value, better than having just another defensive replacement if that's the plan. I say this too though as someone who doesn't love Hays.

• mweb08 likes this

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:11 PM

I'm also not the biggest Hays fan, so I'd love to see Cowser get a lot of those starts in LF vs righties. I just don't see the O's treating Hays that way and I also get why they're unlikely to do so. 

• makoman likes this

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:29 PM

Its a tough spot for Cowser in particular. I think Kjerstad too. At least for now. Will see what happens going forward. See how Hays and Mullins perform. Assume OHearn and Santander wont return next year. But again, my sense is Holliday and Mayo are going to be handed reg playing time when their time arrives. Some more trepidation with Kjerstad and Cowser.

#17 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:37 PM

Smh Cowser isn't starting, just send him down then.  Elias is frustrating at times, this is one of them. 

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,390 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:42 PM

Its a tough spot for Cowser in particular. I think Kjerstad too. At least for now. Will see what happens going forward. See how Hays and Mullins perform. Assume OHearn and Santander wont return next year. But again, my sense is Holliday and Mayo are going to be handed reg playing time when their time arrives. Some more trepidation with Kjerstad and Cowser.

Someone will likely get hurt or perform poorly enough for at least one of Cowser or Kjerstad to get legit run. But until then it's not ideal imo.

As for Holliday and Mayo, I can't imagine them bringing up the former without a ton of expected playing time, but Mayo is more interesting and challenging, at least if Holliday is also up. It's not hard to carve out some time vs lefties, but otherwise it's a question of where do they want him to play and who are they good with taking time away from. If I were Jordan Westburg, I might be a bit pressed to get off to a good start.

#19 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,766 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:54 PM

His new name should be Stowers...

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,766 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 April 2024 - 04:55 PM

But as my love/hate relationship with Cowser shows I also understand why they are hesitant to take ABs away from OHearn or Hays for him too. I dont think they exactly know what they have with him either. Or better put are leery to just throw him in there to find out in a season with such high expectations

Won't know until he gets an opportunity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=