• Please log in to reply
244 replies to this topic

#121 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:01 AM

Off topic but I think it's a really interesting take on culture as a whole. Not much willingness to "stick it out" anymore.  Don't love your current situation?  Don't try to help solve it, just change your circumstances to be a better fit for you.  And there's a time where that is absolutely the right move but I feel like as a society that line continues to move more and more towards what's best for me and not the whole.

Everything is circular. 
Maybe there will be a course correction at some point.

• glenn__davis likes this

#122 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:02 AM

The transfer portal is recruiting.

Development is different and it is vital, both for traditional HS recruits and for incoming transfers. Gotta do both individual development and team building. Willard did a good job with the teamwide development this year on the defensive end, you can't get guys to play good team defense unless they are willing to listen to you. But the individual development was non-existent, which is a major concern. Jahmir Young has flourished under Willard, but every other new and returning player has more or less stagnated. I think it takes more than a couple seasons to what is the "coaching ability" signal through all the noise inherent to young basketball players, but early indications have been disappointing.

I'd argue that Reese improved under Willard. Jahmir was good when he got here and stayed good. Scott was stagnant. DHS and Kaiser didn't show much improvement as the year went on. I thought Long was a little better this year. Geronimo was a dud at Indiana and continued as a dud for Maryland.

The rest of the roster was void of any talent to really improve on.

#123 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:16 AM

Everything is circular.
Maybe there will be a course correction at some point.

There will, when the players unionize and engage in collective bargaining with the universities. Then the ability to sign multi-year contracts will tamp down on the annual craziness.

Until then though, it’ll be like this every single year.
@BSLZackKiesel

#124 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:18 AM

Off topic but I think it's a really interesting take on culture as a whole. Not much willingness to "stick it out" anymore.  Don't love your current situation?  Don't try to help solve it, just change your circumstances to be a better fit for you.  And there's a time where that is absolutely the right move but I feel like as a society that line continues to move more and more towards what's best for me and not the whole.

I agree that the culture has changed, but I think the individuals are just responding to the people in power. Should people have loyalty to their employers? Maybe, but for the most part employers are going to lay you off the instant somebody thinks that's better for the shareholders. Similarly, a player has approximately 4 years of eligibility, and the team doesn't really care if you use it up for them on the bench, helping out as the scout team, whatever. Why should he spend two or three of those years on the bench "developing" when he can go somewhere else and develop while playing? Alabama's 4th running back might have borderline NFL talent but barely gets to play. That's great for Alabama, it's best for the whole as they benefit from that depth, but why should the RB do that when he can go somewhere and play? Or even QB, Jalen Hurts would have helped the team a lot by staying and being incredibly talented depth. Was that selfish of him to go find a starting job?

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this

#125 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:25 AM

You giving back salary to help your company hire more employees or going somewhere else where you'll get paid what you're worth?

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this

#126 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:27 AM

Off topic but I think it's a really interesting take on culture as a whole. Not much willingness to "stick it out" anymore. Don't love your current situation? Don't try to help solve it, just change your circumstances to be a better fit for you. And there's a time where that is absolutely the right move but I feel like as a society that line continues to move more and more towards what's best for me and not the whole.

What’s the benefit of “sticking it out”? The only way for these players to make a living after leaving college (whether that’s the NBA or overseas) is to play. If you aren’t playing, and another school offers that opportunity, you leave. Plain and simple.

I don’t blame any of these players for looking out for their future. God knows the NCAA isn’t.
  • BSLMikeLowe, Mackus and makoman like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#127 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:39 AM

What’s the benefit of “sticking it out”? The only way for these players to make a living after leaving college (whether that’s the NBA or overseas) is to play. If you aren’t playing, and another school offers that opportunity, you leave. Plain and simple.

I don’t blame any of these players for looking out for their future. God knows the NCAA isn’t.

I don't blame players doing what is best for them. 
They absolutely should.
Lamothe leaving would be an example I just don't get from either side.

https://forum.baltim...talk/?p=1142374

#128 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:51 AM

I specifically said that my comment was off topic.  

In general - in the specific context of the current NCAA landscape - I don't blame any player for jumping around to find a situation that best suits them.  I feel no ill will at towards a player that leaves MD for greener pastures.  Similarly I feel very little connection to a transfer player that comes to MD for one year.  

That said, I think in the more "broad" game of life, I think there are absolutely benefits to grinding through situations that aren't ideal.  You learn toughness, you learn perseverance, you learn how to get through hard situations which make you a more well-rounded individual.  Shoot, that's what athletic training is at its core right?  Put stress on your body to make it stronger. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#129 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:59 AM

You giving back salary to help your company hire more employees or going somewhere else where you'll get paid what you're worth?

My comment said nothing about money.  I guess that's where everyone's mind goes first though.

#130 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:11 AM

My comment said nothing about money.  I guess that's where everyone's mind goes first though.

You aren't vying for playing time, so I figured money or workload is a more relatable factor that'd cause you to change course much like a college athlete would make a similar decision.

#131 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:56 AM

There will, when the players unionize and engage in collective bargaining with the universities. Then the ability to sign multi-year contracts will tamp down on the annual craziness.

Until then though, it’ll be like this every single year.

A bit off-topic since it's football, but I hear from people connected to a lot of CFB coaches and programs and they say the upcoming spring portal window will be like nothing we've seen yet. Get ready for a lot of Kadyn Proctor like craziness. One person theorized it might ultimately be a good thing, because the messier it gets the sooner we reach the endgame. We'll see.

#132 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

Off topic but I think it's a really interesting take on culture as a whole. Not much willingness to "stick it out" anymore. Don't love your current situation? Don't try to help solve it, just change your circumstances to be a better fit for you. And there's a time where that is absolutely the right move but I feel like as a society that line continues to move more and more towards what's best for me and not the whole.

The Lebron Effect. The man ruined the generation after him.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#133 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:35 PM

The transfer portal is recruiting.  

Development is different and it is vital, both for traditional HS recruits and for incoming transfers.  Gotta do both individual development and team building.  Willard did a good job with the teamwide development this year on the defensive end, you can't get guys to play good team defense unless they are willing to listen to you.  But the individual development was non-existent, which is a major concern.  Jahmir Young has flourished under Willard, but every other new and returning player has more or less stagnated.  I think it takes more than a couple seasons to what is the "coaching ability" signal through all the noise inherent to young basketball players, but early indications have been disappointing.

The transfer portal is plugging holes. Recruiting is building a foundation, reputation, and success stories that go with all of it. That helps you become a destination for those entering the portal.

It would then behoove you to learn to cull from the herd of transfers in order to bring on the players that match your org philosophy. 

But yeah, you can’t put the cart before the horse (and the transfer portal is the cart in my attempt at a metaphor). 

#134 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:33 PM

The Lebron Effect. The man ruined the generation after him.

lmao. Love it. That’s next level.

#135 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 08:55 AM

The Terps overperformed my expectations going in to Willard's first year, and underperformed my expectations going in to his second year.  Year 3 through 5-ish I think will tell a better story about where he can get the program, school athletic department support (i.e. money) being a factor too, like it or not.

#136 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 March 2024 - 04:02 PM

Maryland reportedly showing interest in Zach Martini (Princeton).
@BSLZackKiesel

#137 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 04:00 AM

Don't make me root for a guy named Martini.
@DaKittenz

#138 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 March 2024 - 11:06 PM

Don't make me root for a guy named Martini.

Dirty, ain’t it
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

@fuzydunlop

#139 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:43 AM

Worth noting that the transfer portal officially closes for men’s basketball on May 1st. It’s somewhat telling that neither Jordan Geronimo or Jahari Long have entered, and while they certainly still could, it’s likely time to start assuming they’ll be back in College Park next season (though Long will likely miss most, if not all of the 2024-25 season with a torn ACL).

Maryland has one open scholarship remaining, assuming no additional departures.
@BSLZackKiesel

#140 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:49 AM

Earn playing time? Wait your turn? Work towards an end goal vs. being given it right away? 

I could write a novella on this.  But will just say spot on, you're right.  And it's not a good thing for general human development in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=