244 replies to this topic

#101 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 07:01 PM

Hope he shoots a few hundred FTs a day and works out some mechanics / form / rhythm / something. Still say they win 3 maybe 4 more conference games if he makes a few more FTs a game.

#102 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 07:04 PM

Hope he shoots a few hundred FTs a day and works out some mechanics / form / rhythm / something. Still say they win 3 maybe 4 more conference games if he makes a few more FTs a game.

If he made a few more a game he'd be shooting over 100% :)

If he shot 80% that'd have meant an extra point and a half a game. That's full season rates, not just conference play so maybe slight difference depending on what sample you had in mind.

#103 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2024 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like Ja'Kobi Gillespie (Belmont) is close to a done deal. Had a very productive visit to College Park over the weekend, and could be announcing his transfer soon.

Gillespie had been scheduled to visit Florida this weekend, that’s now been cancelled. Maryland almost certainly has their PG for 2024-25.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#104 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 March 2024 - 07:58 PM

247Sports ranks Gillespie as the 10th-best player in the transfer portal, and the 2nd-best point guard behind Dug McDaniel.

Rice is ranked as the 34th-best player in the portal, and the 7th-best shooting guard.
@BSLZackKiesel

#105 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:00 PM

Rice is an example of why ranking lists can be so stupid. Literally impossible to know what you have with him.

#106 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:27 PM

Gillespie had been scheduled to visit Florida this weekend, that’s now been cancelled. Maryland almost certainly has their PG for 2024-25.

Gillespie has made it official, and will be transferring to Maryland.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#107 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:29 PM

Gotta be able to go 8 or 9 deep with quality players to have a chance. Not sure where we stand right now. 

#108 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 06:57 PM

Gotta be able to go 8 or 9 deep with quality players to have a chance. Not sure where we stand right now. 

Players on MD's current roster:

Guards: Gillespie, Rice, Palmer, Stephens

Wings: Harris-Smith, Kaiser, 
Bigs: Reese, Queen, Traore, Pierce

#109 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:11 PM

Agree we need 8. I want two more transfers and I'll be able to get excited. I see 6 solid players right now assuming Rice counts which I'm not sold on.

Not sure if we have any studs. Queen's got the pedigree but that's a big ask for a freshman. Reese is good and can occasionally take over but hasn't been consistent enough to really be considered a stud.

Still, far more favorable outlook today than a week or so ago. Glad Willard and Co are trending in the right direction.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#110 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:23 PM

Maryland reportedly showing interest in Bryce Pope (UC San Diego) and Jason Rivera-Torres (Vanderbilt).
@BSLZackKiesel

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:26 PM

Get a few more things done and lie it all at the feet of Willard. I personally think he got too much of a pass this year. Yes, we have heard how the boosters or AD department has stepped it up with NIL. Thats great and it undoubtedly plays a role in competing. Willard still did a poor job this past year.

#112 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:38 PM

Get a few more things done and lie it all at the feet of Willard. I personally think he got too much of a pass this year. Yes, we have heard how the boosters or AD department has stepped it up with NIL. Thats great and it undoubtedly plays a role in competing. Willard still did a poor job this past year.

This is undoubtedly true. You’re spot on here. This is frankly a make or break year for KW from my perspective (doubt that the University sees it that way).

#113 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:08 PM

Pretty solid roster ASSUMING DHS and Kaiser improve, Queen is legit, and Rice lives up to the hype.

Alot of ifs, but plenty of early promise.

#114 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:51 PM

That may have been the case 10 years ago but no longer.  The transfer window/class is probably just as important as the actual recruiting class at this point.

I should’ve been more apparent. I was referring specifically to Willard @ Maryland. He has to establish that he can develop players in today’s environment. Also, I disagree that the transfer portal is as important as the actual recruiting class. I mean, sure if you’re a championship-caliber team that just lost a center to the NBA, absolutely the portal might be your best answer. But Maryland? If they’re actually viewing the portal just as vital to their success as recruitment, that portends bigger problems down the road. 

#115 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:07 AM

I should’ve been more apparent. I was referring specifically to Willard @ Maryland. He has to establish that he can develop players in today’s environment. Also, I disagree that the transfer portal is as important as the actual recruiting class. I mean, sure if you’re a championship-caliber team that just lost a center to the NBA, absolutely the portal might be your best answer. But Maryland? If they’re actually viewing the portal just as vital to their success as recruitment, that portends bigger problems down the road.

Nah it's 2024.
The portal is going to be vital from here on out for everyone. Less program building, more turnover, and musical chairs.

#116 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:21 AM

Nah it's 2024.
The portal is going to be vital from here on out for everyone. Less program building, more turnover, and musical chairs.

If you accept mediocrity out of recruitment and development, then that’s all you have left. That’s my point. 

#117 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:33 AM

If you accept mediocrity out of recruitment and development, then that’s all you have left. That’s my point. 

There largely won't be development going forward. That's going to be life. 

AAU culture says you just leave year to year, and join new teams.
That combined with the NIL, just means rampant turnover year-to-year.

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:35 AM

The transfer portal is recruiting.  

Development is different and it is vital, both for traditional HS recruits and for incoming transfers.  Gotta do both individual development and team building.  Willard did a good job with the teamwide development this year on the defensive end, you can't get guys to play good team defense unless they are willing to listen to you.  But the individual development was non-existent, which is a major concern.  Jahmir Young has flourished under Willard, but every other new and returning player has more or less stagnated.  I think it takes more than a couple seasons to what is the "coaching ability" signal through all the noise inherent to young basketball players, but early indications have been disappointing.

#119 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:55 AM

I'd argue the portal, in 2024, is more reliable and a better option than HS recruiting. Obviously you don't want to rely on it to build your team every year, but it can be just as valuable a resource.

#120 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:00 AM

There largely won't be development going forward. That's going to be life. 

AAU culture says you just leave year to year, and join new teams.
That combined with the NIL, just means rampant turnover year-to-year.

Off topic but I think it's a really interesting take on culture as a whole. Not much willingness to "stick it out" anymore.  Don't love your current situation?  Don't try to help solve it, just change your circumstances to be a better fit for you.  And there's a time where that is absolutely the right move but I feel like as a society that line continues to move more and more towards what's best for me and not the whole.

• BSLChrisStoner and Ravens2006 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=