• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:41 PM

I love how all of these streaming services are just recreating cable TV - just with a less efficient distributed-node service that offers minimal cost benefit and selection options.

If Comcast was my only choice for TV service, I'd go with a streaming service. But that's based on the fact that Comcast sells an unreliable product, and they obviously take great pride in offering the worst customer service. Aside from that, I'm lost as to why streaming live TV at the same cost as cable/satellite is a giant leap forward. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#22 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:35 PM

If Comcast was my only choice for TV service, I'd go with a streaming service. But that's based on the fact that Comcast sells an unreliable product, and they obviously take great pride in offering the worst customer service. Aside from that, I'm lost as to why streaming live TV at the same cost as cable/satellite is a giant leap forward. 

Fubo is a bad example with their hidden fees. YouTube TV is $73 ($78 if on Apple TV) for cloud DVR and streaming on your TV, tablet, phone. Xfinity's bare-bones package might be comparable, but I doubt it once you figure in the cable boxes you have to rent from them. Once you get beyond the introductory rates, the cable package might be twice as expensive. 

Cable's only leg to stand on re: live streaming platforms is they have the RSNs and yeah, MLB managed to tie their finances into that dying model. 

#23 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 04:14 PM

Fubo is a bad example with their hidden fees. YouTube TV is $73 ($78 if on Apple TV) for cloud DVR and streaming on your TV, tablet, phone. Xfinity's bare-bones package might be comparable, but I doubt it once you figure in the cable boxes you have to rent from them. Once you get beyond the introductory rates, the cable package might be twice as expensive. 

Cable's only leg to stand on re: live streaming platforms is they have the RSNs and yeah, MLB managed to tie their finances into that dying model. 

That sounds like a good reason to make the move. From the comments in this thread, I was under the impression that the cost difference was negligible. I had YTTV last year, as a requirement for Sunday Ticket. It worked well, and it was able to watch MLB playoffs with no problem. 

#24 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2024 - 04:20 PM

I love how all of these streaming services are just recreating cable TV - just with a less efficient distributed-node service that offers minimal cost benefit and selection options.

This is what people that still have cable tell themselves to rationalize how much they are overpaying.

And you do not need to subscribe to YTTV for Sunday Ticket. If you can wrangle a student email address from a friend/family, it’s 109$ for the year. No sub required either way.

@fuzydunlop

#25 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 04:26 PM

This is what people that still have cable tell themselves to rationalize how much they are overpaying.

And you do not need to subscribe to YTTV for Sunday Ticket. If you can wrangle a student email address from a friend/family, it’s 109$ for the year. No sub required either way.

Sunday ticket alone will let you watch the Sunday afternoon games, but that's it. 

#26 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 March 2024 - 06:33 PM

Sunday ticket alone will let you watch the Sunday afternoon games, but that's it.

An OTA antenna will get you most of the rest.
  • weird-O likes this

@fuzydunlop

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 March 2024 - 07:16 PM

An OTA antenna will get you most of the rest.

Cool story.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:08 AM

I thought we were talking about getting baseball and other programming as well - not just Sunday NFL games.  If the only thing you ever want to watch is NFl games then yes, I agree, there are cheaper ways to do it.

#29 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 March 2024 - 02:30 PM

Streaming is cheaper overall, and by a good margin. Thats what I was getting at.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=