#21 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

The Orioles should sign Kim for the $500,000 deal they agreed to with him before they screwed up his future in Korea. If they back off now because they realize it was a mistake, then they will bring even more shame and embarrassment to the organization, and potentially cause lasting damage to the kids career. There is right and there is wrong... sign this young man for the money you agreed on OR somehow find a way to repair his career in Korea by persuading (pay a fee or fine, etc.) the Koreans to allow him to play there.
  • Can_of_corn and RShack like this

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

The Orioles should sign Kim for the $500,000 deal they agreed to with him before they screwed up his future in Korea. If they back off now because they realize it was a mistake, then they will bring even more shame and embarrassment to the organization, and potentially cause lasting damage to the kids career. There is right and there is wrong... sign this young man for the money you agreed on OR somehow find a way to repair his career in Korea by persuading (pay a fee or fine, etc.) the Koreans to allow him to play there.

I endorse everything about this post...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

This just confirms that the rest of the scouting community was right and our guy(s) were wrong. I would guess that Ray P. suggested this kid and after all of the publicity (everyone saying the kid was being way overpaid) someone Duquette or Angelos insisted on seeing this kid before committing to the dollars. It looks bad for sure but the Korean baseball association stepping in, probably saved the Orioles from a 500K mistake. Unfortunately, the kid winds up the loser through no fault of his own.

Good Post...we should do the right thing by the kid but I am guessing we will not.
@mikeghg

#24 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

Dan Duquette on Korean P Seong Min-Kim - "We are not going to sign him. We are electing not to sign him." O's had agreed to terms in Jan.

Steve Melewski ‏@masnSteve

More Duquette on Kim - There was a time where we couldn't sign him, but we decided under circumstances the right thing 2 do would b move on.

The question that remains is, will the Koreans life their ban on Kim or did the O's effectively ruin this young man's professional career?

I really hope some media organization decides to make a case of this and holds DD's feet to the fire to do right by this kid.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Just shows that despite the improvements on the field and throughout the organization we still have a long way to go. The Os have butchered this every step of the way.

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

CoC, you know it won't be Baltimore media. They haven't had teeth in well over a decade.

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Duquette couldn't even give a straight answer about whether or not the Orioles are allowed back into Korea. Ugh.

#28 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Unless I hear news that is contrary to what the situation appears to be- the O's (Duquette and those involved) should hold their heads in outright shame if Kim is blackballed/banned in Korea, and be genuinely embarrassed by their actions throughout.

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Unless I hear news that is contrary to what the situation appears to be- the O's (Duquette and those involved) should hold their heads in outright shame if Kim is blackballed/banned in Korea, and be genuinely embarrassed by their actions throughout.

Could not agree more. DD and the Orioles screwed this up IMO. They way overpaid for the kid, and did not respect the process, and got called on it. My problem with DD is he acts as if he is smarter than everyone else, but he clearly screwed this up. They should honor the original agreement they made, even if he can not play a lick. A deal is a deal.
@mikeghg

#30 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Just make it right. Even if the O's don't pay him, at least desperately mend relationships with the KBO and persuade them to let the kid be able to sign with their teams. (I remember a while ago the kid was basically put in limbo and couldn't play in the KBO or with the O's.)

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, this whole thing blows. The O's should pay the kid even if they let him go. They should also apologize to the Korean outfit, say it was entirely their mistake, admit that they failed to do their homework, and ask for forgiveness. They should also ask the Korean outfit if there's anything they can do to help baseball in Korea, offer to send over Buck and some coaches to do clinics in the off-season, ask Cal, Palmer, and Eddie to go along and help, etc.

There is absolutely no good reason to not resolve this in a positive way. Their goal should be to resolve this in a way that leaves a good taste, not a bad taste, for everybody involved. If they do it right, they can end up with the Korean's loving the O's instead of being PO'd at them. If DD doesn't wanna spend the money to make it right, well, too bad. He should eat the cost and be more careful about screwing up next time...
  • Chris B likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#32 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

I asked Dan@MYKBO if Kim was still banned in Korea currently. He is. I think it likely that Dan will make mention if the ban is lifted.

Here is his website if anyone wants to take a peek.

http://www.mykbo.net/

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

I tweeted to Dan Connolly, Britt and Roch yesterday that a lot of O's fans are interested in what the Orioles plans are to make Kim whole, but of course didn't get any replies. Their finding an answer to that question might require actual journalism, heaven forbid.

#34 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I tweeted to Dan Connolly, Britt and Roch yesterday that a lot of O's fans are interested in what the Orioles plans are to make Kim whole, but of course didn't get any replies. Their finding an answer to that question might require actual journalism, heaven forbid.

Supposedly half the national media has issues with the O's and/or Angelos maybe we should start asking them to look into it?

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Supposedly half the national media has issues with the O's and/or Angelos maybe we should start asking them to look into it?

Ask Keith Law. He hates everyone.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Camden Depot: Following Up on Kim Seong-min and the Orioles
http://camdendepot.b...ng-min-and.html

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,484 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Interesting to see the cultural differences. Here in the US, the blame pretty much lies solely on the Orioles for how they botched this up and left the kid to dangle in the wind over there. But in Korea it seems a fair amount of people are placing equal blame on Kim and his family for being greedy and not following procedure when they should have known better.

#38 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Great read and once again points to this embarrassment brought on by Duqette and Company. Fix this Dad Duquette. Its the right thing to do.

#39 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Some new info from Daniel Kim ‏@DanielKimW

Seong Min Kim's mother wrote me an email out of no where. Not sure where to begin with this story. #Ouchie #Orioles

Seong Min Kim's family was contacted by the #Orioles during the 30 day ban period. Family says they have the phone records to prove it.

Before Ray Pointevint was hired by the #Orioles, he served as Seong Min Kim's agent.

In a matter of few days, Pointevint went from being Seong Min Kim's agent to #Orioles Exec Director. Weird stuff.

Btw Steve Melewski follows Daniel Kim so he saw this info...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=