73 replies to this topic

#21 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:14 PM

I guess. They've already shown they can be a great regular season team. Who cares how well they play when the stakes don't matter?

People who watch sports for entertainment?

• BaltBird 24 and mdrunning like this

#22 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:15 PM

Does this include passing on posting about them too?

I'll probably offer a post or two per day depending on what's going on, but I'm not going to care about much until they have the chance to prove they aren't a perennial choke artist franchise.

#23 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:21 PM

I guess. They've already shown they can be a great regular season team. Who cares how well they play when the stakes don't matter?

I guess SF fans shouldn't tune in until the SB since they've already proven they can get there. That's 2 losses in what, 4 seasons to KC in the SB? Boring.

If you're only in it to watch your team win a championship - it's going to be a very disappointing ride.

Enjoy the ride and whatever happens happens.

#24 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:41 PM

I guess SF fans shouldn't tune in until the SB since they've already proven they can get there. That's 2 losses in what, 4 seasons to KC in the SB? Boring.

If you're only in it to watch your team win a championship - it's going to be a very disappointing ride.

Enjoy the ride and whatever happens happens.

Not nearly the same circumstances. They have an exciting young QB who probably should have been the MVP, who has proven he can win in the playoffs and was within an extra point of a superbowl victory over the greatest QB of his generation. A QB who led his team back in one of the greatest comebacks in a league championship game ever.

The Ravens still have Lamar, who has done the same disappearing act every chance he gets in the postseason. Nothing is different here. Same old same old. Great regular season with a terrible postseason exit.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:41 PM

Cant say slide doesnt love the attention
  • mdrunning likes this

#26 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:44 PM

Cant say slide doesnt love the attention

I just state my views. Y'all are the ones which need to challenge them constantly. Sorry if my standard of "don't play like a practice squad in the playoffs" for a franchise with a two time MVP at QB and one of the best rosters in football is too high.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 157,582 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:48 PM

The Ravens still have Lamar, who has done the same disappearing act every chance he gets in the postseason. Nothing is different here. Same old same old. Great regular season with a terrible postseason exit.

Just so completely overblown. 

'18, he's a rookie who started 1/2 the season.

'19, first full year starting. 

'20, wins one, loses one.

'21, injured.

'22, injured.

'23, wins one, loses one. 

If Jackson had been traded, I would have been fine with that. And I said at the time, he was capable of another MVP.

I fully believe the Ravens could have built a contender without him. 

But they did extend him, he did win another MVP.  
And when next year begins, the Ravens will again be on the short-list of teams which can win it all... and he's the primary reason why.

Want to say that as a 2x MVP, his career from here on out is going to be largely decided by his ability to helm a team that wins it all? I won't disagree there. 

(He's already going to the HOF, what I mean is how he's judged overall.)

Want to say he has to be better in the post-season that he was in the AFC Championship? Sure, won't disagree there either. 

If all you are really are saying is we will have to see him do it in the post-season to believe he can do it, ok, whatever.  

But there's no reason imo he can't do in the post-season, and I think the talk about his post-season failures often lurch into hyberbole. 

• russsnyder likes this

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:56 PM

Just so completely overblown.

'18, he's a rookie who started 1/2 the season.
'19, first full year starting.
'20, wins one, loses one.
'21, injured.
'22, injured.
'23, wins one, loses one.

If Jackson had been traded, I would have been fine with that. And I said at the time, he was capable of another MVP.
I fully believe the Ravens could have built a contender without him.
But they did extend him, he did win another MVP.
And when next year begins, the Ravens will again be on the short-list of teams which can win it all... and he's the primary reason why.

Want to say that as a 2x MVP, his career from here on out is going to be largely decided by his ability to helm a team that wins it all?
I won't disagree there.

(He's already going to the HOF, what I mean is how he's judged overall.)

Want to say he has to be better in the post-season that he was in the AFC Championship? Sure, won't disagree there either.

If all you are really are saying is we will have to see him do it in the post-season to believe he can do it, ok, whatever.

But there's no reason imo he can't do in the post-season, and I think the talk about his post-season failures often lurch into hyberbole.

I never said he can't, but until he shows me he can, I have no reason to be excited. Like it or not, he's written his own narrative of being a playoff choke artist, and until he silences the critics, those voices will grow louder.

And, as far as "winning one, losing one," its the *way* he has lost. Turnovers. Bad decisions. Terrible passes. He turns into someone else. If they were in a dogfight and the opposing team just scored last, I can handle that. They are losing almost entirely on the back of Lamar being terrible. The defense showed up in the Buffalo game in 2020 and in the KC game. Lamar did not.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:00 PM

I easily prefer Lamar to Purdy.

Purdy is a good QB, but his elite production is more due to Shanahan and the top notch talent around him.
  • BaltBird 24 and russsnyder like this

#30 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:02 PM

I easily prefer Lamar to Purdy.

Purdy is a good QB, but his elite production is more due to Shanahan and the top notch talent around him.

I would argue that nearly winning a SB in your second full season is far more impressive than anything Lamar has done.

#31 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:07 PM

I would argue that nearly winning a SB in your second full season is far more impressive than anything Lamar has done.

So you prefer Kaepernick to Lamar? Jimmy G? Goff?

• mweb08 likes this

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:25 PM

He loves every QB better than Lamar when they are at their high points. I would bet he's named over 10 guys in the last 3 or 4 years he claimed is better than Lamar or he would prefer to Lamar. Maybe closer to 15 guys.
  • russsnyder likes this

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:32 PM

If they can't get there, I didn't miss anything important.

eeyore_3_992af934.jpeg

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:35 PM

I only watched half of the third quarter, fourth, and OT last night and had to work during the Christmas game so only caught bits and pieces.

But if you say you're taking Purdy over Lamar you're crazy. Only possible reason would be the rookie contract and better opportunity to build around that.

Imagine Lamar with McCaffery, Deebo, Ayuik, Kittle. Of course Purdy will look great.

#35 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:14 PM

eeyore_3_992af934.jpeg

Accurate, honestly.

#36 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:16 PM

He loves every QB better than Lamar when they are at their high points. I would bet he's named over 10 guys in the last 3 or 4 years he claimed is better than Lamar or he would prefer to Lamar. Maybe closer to 15 guys.

Maybe 7 or so.

#37 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:17 PM

Goff has shown himself to be a better postseason QB for sure.

#38 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:26 PM

Goff has shown himself to be a better postseason QB for sure.

Goff blew a 17-point halftime lead to miss the SB. I can only imagine how hard you'd go on Lamar if he did that.

#39 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:38 PM

Drew Brees won a ring in his 9th NFL season.  He had one playoff win before that year total.  ONE.  He was 5-7 in the playoffs after that season and never won more than one playoff game in ANY other year. 

Peyton won his first ring in his 9th NFL season.  He was 3-6 in the playoffs before that.  He would win 2 rings, and in the years his team didn't win the Lombardi (rest assured, he was simply along for the ride in his 18th season, run game, defense, and a very flawed SB opponent... just like the first one when they were gifted Rex Grossman and the Bears)... "his" playoff record was 7-13.

Marino never won a ring, and in 17 NFL seasons, won 2 playoff games ONE time.

Rodgers won his first ring in his 6th NFL season and he got a 4-0 on his resume.  In the other 18 of his 19 NFL seasons, he's won more than one playoff game ONE time.  "His" playoff record outside the 2010 season is 7-10.

Elway won his two rings in his 15th and 16th NFL seasons.  He went deep a bunch of times, in what was then a generally weaker-to-much weaker AFC.  Otherwise his first 14 NFL seasons ended with an L or no January games.

Trent Dilfer has a Superbowl ring and an all-time playoff winning percentage of 83.3%

These are all facts.

• bmore_ken, russsnyder and makoman like this

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:52 PM

Peyton is the best comp, IMO.  He was one of the few guys I think have actually been equal or better than Lamar early in their career but with similar playoff struggles.  

Lamar has some work to do, but there isn't much reason to think he can't do it moving forward.  Almost 100 regular season games is far more indicative of a sample than a half dozen playoff games. Especially when he's only played really badly in a couple of those games.  He's not Mahomes, but not many guys are. Even if he has let his nerves get the better of him at times, which I don't necessarily agree with, that is something you can improve on with more experience.  I'll take him over any plausible alternative and I'm excited for the next opportunity the Ravens and Lamar get in the postseason.  Some people won't deserve the ride, but he'll take them along all the same.

• russsnyder likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=