51 replies to this topic

#21 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:22 PM

IMO Ryan O’Hearn isn’t a good enough hitter to justify one side of a DH platoon. Frankly he’s DFA material if he can’t generate a BP arm in return (one with options?), particularly with Cowser and/or Kjerstad looking at Norfolk. 

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:27 PM

IMO Ryan O’Hearn isn’t a good enough hitter to justify one side of a DH platoon. Frankly he’s DFA material if he can’t generate a BP arm in return (one with options?), particularly with Cowser and/or Kjerstad looking at Norfolk.

800 OPS last year so he's clearly good enough if he can keep that up. Fair to doubt that he'll match that production again, it's tough to do when you walk as rarely as he did last season, but he's definitely got the ability. Hard hit stats have always been good, so also reason to be optimistic.

#23 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:33 PM

800 OPS last year so he's clearly good enough if he can keep that up. Fair to doubt that he'll match that production again, it's tough to do when you walk as rarely as he did last season, but he's definitely got the ability. Hard hit stats have always been good, so also reason to be optimistic.

IMO the roster spot is too valuable. I mean yeah, he could have an .800 OPS again. Or closer to his career .714. To me, a Ryan O’Hearn is found in AAAA on at least a half dozen teams, no? 

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:37 PM

IMO the roster spot is too valuable. I mean yeah, he could have an .800 OPS again. Or closer to his career .714. To me, a Ryan O’Hearn is found in AAAA on at least a half dozen teams, no?

Before last year, yes, guys with his resume at that point are plentiful. After he put up an 800 MLB OPS, no, those guys aren't as freely found. Gotta make a guess at what he is going forwards, but having done it is a big leg up on guys who have only struggled, IMO.
  • dude likes this

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,537 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:37 PM

O’Hearn did a lot of things differently last year to gain that increase in OPS. It wasn’t dumb luck. I don’t see any reason for a severe regression, outside of injuries or a reversion back to poor mechanics. That’s a little disaster fantasizing IMO. But I don’t think the O’s stick with him all year if that does happen. If there weren’t clear mechanical differences, I’d agree.

#26 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,822 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:39 PM

O'Hearn is such an odd one to figure out. He seems to always barrel the ball up and hit it hard, yet he had absolute terrible raw numbers from 2019-2022.

#27 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,822 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:41 PM

FWIW, I think O'Hearn is one of those "it" guys who brings just a little extra intensity. Gunnar is one of those guys. Hays is one of those guys. O'Hearn seems to be one of those guys.

#28 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 February 2024 - 02:46 PM

Yeah I think O'Hearn should get the chance to prove he's a legit hitter and whatever changes he made after leaving KC are legit

#29 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 03:24 PM

OK, but they both signed Major League contracts.  They're basically ML minimum so it doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things, but you are literally throwing away 1M.  Maybe the new approach is to do that and then pass them through waivers and pay them to be AAA depth.  The Orioles already did that with Tucker Davidson and the Reds recently did it with a catching option (literally paying them Major League money to stash them at AAA).

The bigger issue, beyond the modest money, is playing time.  Neither McKenna or Hilliard have significant roles.  There's zero point to adding a quality prospect into a bench position.

They picked up O’Hearn last year 1.3M knowing he might not make the team, which he didn’t. It is something Elias likes to do. Spend a little extra on the fringes. Guaranteeing Hilliard 800K is to make it less likely he’s claimed if or when he’s waived. I believe they tried it with Jake Cave last year but the Phil’s still claimed him. It’s a win win for the player. No split contract if he goes to AAA. I also don’t think we’ll see both McKenna and Hilliard both but if they still have Mateo and are comfortable with him covering CF in addition to SS, I think it’s McKenna who goes.

I do agree that with a full OF and O’Hearn here, that it makes no sense to carry either Kjerstad or Cowser. I think Cowser is headed to Norfolk but I’m guessing they make room for Kjerstad. His role should be DH/RF. I don’t think he’s a ML 1B at this point. Santander can get time at 1B. He looked good there last year.

#30 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 03:31 PM

Yeah I think O'Hearn should get the chance to prove he's a legit hitter and whatever changes he made after leaving KC are legit

If another ML team feels he’s legit and will give us a little something, I’d rather Kjerstad get that chance. I don’t think we’ll lose much, if anything offensively this year. The biggest difference is O’Hearn being able to play a decent 1B but Santander can fill in occasionally for Mountcastle. We need to open a spot for Kjerstad this year and moving O’Hearn is more likely and logical than moving Santander.

#31 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,768 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 February 2024 - 03:32 PM

I do agree that with a full OF and O’Hearn here, that it makes no sense to carry either Kjerstad or Cowser. I think Cowser is headed to Norfolk but I’m guessing they make room for Kjerstad. His role should be DH/RF. I don’t think he’s a ML 1B at this point. Santander can get time at 1B. He looked good there last year.

...and Mountcastle.  That's LF-CF-RF-1B-DH with the OF and O'Hearn and including AR significantly at DH.

#32 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 03:35 PM

FWIW, I think O'Hearn is one of those "it" guys who brings just a little extra intensity. Gunnar is one of those guys. Hays is one of those guys. O'Hearn seems to be one of those guys.

Don’t you think Frazier brought intensity? I think he did but I didn’t want him back. I can’t think of many guys on the team who aren’t intense.

#33 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 03:36 PM

...and Mountcastle.  That's LF-CF-RF-1B-DH with the OF and O'Hearn and including AR significantly at DH.

Of course. We agree. Mark it down. February 4, 2024.

#34 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,354 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 February 2024 - 04:45 PM

There are plenty of at bats for either Coswer or Kjerstad to be getting near full time playing with the big club, especially Cowser who can play CF.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 05:59 PM

If another ML team feels he’s legit and will give us a little something, I’d rather Kjerstad get that chance. I don’t think we’ll lose much, if anything offensively this year. The biggest difference is O’Hearn being able to play a decent 1B but Santander can fill in occasionally for Mountcastle. We need to open a spot for Kjerstad this year and moving O’Hearn is more likely and logical than moving Santander.

Agree with this but when you consider what you might get back, I think then it becomes debatable. O'Hearn, Kjerstad and what you get in return for Santander could definitely be more advantageous short and long term to Santander, Kjerstad and what you get in return for O'Hearn. O'Hearn had just as good of an OPS as Santander last year. The offensive drop might be scant of anything, and I think Tony has way more trade value. But also think it may be too late in the off-season to pursue any trades and maybe we're just slow playing all the prospects.

#36 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 06:08 PM

Agree with this but when you consider what you might get back, I think then it becomes debatable. O'Hearn, Kjerstad and what you get in return for Santander could definitely be more advantageous short and long term to Santander, Kjerstad and what you get in return for O'Hearn. O'Hearn had just as good of an OPS as Santander last year. The offensive drop might be scant of anything, and I think Tony has way more trade value. But also think it may be too late in the off-season to pursue any trades and maybe we're just slow playing all the prospects.

I just think there’s no chance they trade Santander and some chance they move O’Hearn. Sure, Santander has more value because he has more of a track record. It’s not as much what we get for O’Hearn as it is opening a spot for Kjerstad.

#37 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 06:11 PM

There are plenty of at bats for either Coswer or Kjerstad to be getting near full time playing with the big club, especially Cowser who can play CF.

Based on an outfield of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Mountcastle and O’Hearn at 1B and some DH, and Adley probably getting 40+ starts at DH, where do you see these full time at bats coming from?
  • dude likes this

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 06:11 PM

I think there will be some real competition in ST this year. Think we see another smaller trade at some point. Likely moving one or two of Urias, Mateo, McKenna, Hilliard but could also be a young prospect. Anyway, Im buying that guys like Kjerstad, Cowser, Holliday can really win OD spots if they perform well. Especially Cowser and Kjerstad. See how it shakes out.

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 06:19 PM

Btw count OHearn as one of the guys who could be traded too. Say Kjerstad or Cowser perform in ST and the Os trust in giving them the OHearn ABs from last year. Again, we will how ST goes. Some real competition this year IMO.

#40 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 February 2024 - 02:29 AM

Significantly better chance that neither McKenna or Hilliard make the opening day roster than both of them do.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=