• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#241 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 March 2024 - 12:23 PM

What a Fantastic day this is. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#242 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2024 - 12:50 PM

David M. Rubenstein

Some people call Wednesdays hump day...but I'm thinking for this Wednesday "The Next Chapter" sounds better. Thoughts? Go @Orioles

#243 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:42 PM

Best day in Orioles baseball in the past 40 years.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#244 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:09 PM

2,131 was OK.

#245 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:17 PM

2,131 was OK.

Delmon Young Double, too. Can't argue against the overall importance of today though. Hard to believe we got here.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#246 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:43 PM

2,131 was OK.

Was never a huge Cal fan and at 7 years old, 2131 just didn't hit me.

Delmon double was definitely up there, though.

#247 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:22 PM

I was genuinely afraid that the Angeloses would own the Orioles for my entire life. John was, incredibly, even worse than Peter. And now they're gone. Gone forever. Good riddance.

It's a new day!

#248 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:22 PM

Because of the long term possibilities  today and the day ELias was hired are about equal. Culturally the Os have needed to go back 50 years. THe Oriole Way was dead and gone for a long time. This is a very real opportunity to have a new Oriole Way with sustained success. Elias built up the first aspect of it. New ownership needs to do their part. It sounds like Rubenstein understands all of this too. Hes talked about getting MASN resolved. Hes talked about supporting Elias.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#249 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:42 PM

Presser scheduled for tomorrow at 11 AM. Assuming it still happens whether the game is PPD or not

#250 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 06:13 PM

W/ PA's passing on, David now has full ownership, the Angelos family is out.  Yay!

#251 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:03 PM

I was genuinely afraid that the Angeloses would own the Orioles for my entire life. John was, incredibly, even worse than Peter. And now they're gone. Gone forever. Good riddance.

It's a new day!

John was leaps and bounds better than his father simply for giving Elias the keys and stepping away - even with the shoestring budget.
  • BobPhelan and RichardZ like this

#252 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:15 PM

John was leaps and bounds better than his father simply for giving Elias the keys and stepping away - even with the shoestring budget.

I dunno man. He was a despicable, greedy, petty man. The comments about how the Orioles couldn't afford FAs because the fans didn't attend enough went over like a lead balloon, and he gave Elias almost zero budget to operate with.

#253 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:22 PM

Father and son were both awful in their own different ways. I wouldn't put one above the other as better/worse. What they did share in common is that both were incredibly thin-skinned and petty. (see: Jon Miller and Kevin Brown)

• BobPhelan, Slidemaster, makoman and 1 other like this

#254 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:22 PM

W/ PA's passing on, David now has full ownership, the Angelos family is out. Yay!

He doesn't have full ownership yet, still just 40%. That'll come soon though, plan was to complete the sale after PA passed. Just not, you know, within a week.
  • BaltBird 24 and SonicAttack like this

#255 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:30 PM

Father and son were both awful in their own different ways. I wouldn't put one above the other as better/worse. What they did share in common is that both were incredibly thin-skinned and petty. (see: Jon Miller and Kevin Brown)

This is probably the correct take.

#256 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:32 PM

https://www.thebalti...PP3CIJNDGW3KHA/

#257 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:52 PM

Yes, David. Yes, yes, yes.

“I hope not to be blamed for all the things that might happen that don’t go right, but I’ll deserve the blame if I haven’t done a good job in supporting those who built the team to where it is today, particularly Mike Elias,” Rubenstein said. “My job is not to tell them how to do what they know how to do and I don’t know how to do, but to do what I can to support them."

• BobPhelan likes this

#258 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:53 PM

Elias' results were of zero concern to John. He was a perfect fit for what John wanted to do with salary, the result on the major league field didn't matter to him at all. Whether Elias teams won 100+ or lost 100+ made zero difference to Johnny.
  • weird-O and SonicAttack like this

#259 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 09:04 PM

Elias' results were of zero concern to John. He was a perfect fit for what John wanted to do with salary, the result on the major league field didn't matter to him at all. Whether Elias teams won 100+ or lost 100+ made zero difference to Johnny.

Agree. And to think John was better because he stayed out of Elias' way doesn't account for the full perspective because the current core players developed are still under team control. Thankfully we'll never get the full perspective of what it would eventually look like under John's budget, but if we did I can't imagine anyone patting him on the back for not meddling in baseball operations as all of the top players are traded away or walk in 5 years, and we're back at square one as a 100-loss team starting another painful rebuild.

#260 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 09:06 PM

Maybe results meant nothing to him. I don’t know. I know he hired Elias and didn’t interfere with:

1. Building a ML quality analytics department
2. Building a ML quality Latin American talent procurement department
3. Building a brand new Dominican complex
4. Drafting who the baseball people wanted to draft

Whether John Angelos cared about results he let Mike Elias do all of the things that produced results. Most people, who don’t hold any personal animus, would give that person some credit for the results.
  • BobPhelan and BaltBird 24 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=