• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#221 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 03:44 PM

Wow. That would have been awful. I don't think the new ownership would make a move like that.

Ehh, that wouldn't bother me.  Baltimore company, and nobody would practically say, "I can't wait to get to T.Rowe Field for a game."  Everyone will still call it Camden Yards / Oriole Park regardless of who wants pay a sponsorship.

• RichardZ likes this

#222 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:25 PM

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would care about the naming rights to the stadium when the stadium next door is also corporate named. Besides, Price Park kind of rolls off the tongue. Especially with its neighbor colloquially called the Bank.

#223 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:28 PM

No true Oriole fan would ever call OPACY anything other than OPACY.

#224 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:30 PM

Ehh, that wouldn't bother me.  Baltimore company, and nobody would practically say, "I can't wait to get to T.Rowe Field for a game."  Everyone will still call it Camden Yards / Oriole Park regardless of who wants pay a sponsorship.

I feel the same way. While I'm glad Peter never exercised his right to sell the name, it wouldn't have mattered all that much to me. When I refer to the ballparks that once had a baseball name, I still use the old name: Jacob's Field, Comisky, etc. 

There's nothing I can do about Petco :D

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#225 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:33 PM

I wouldn’t care about the official name, especially if any money helps improve the team. At least now there’s a chance that would happen.

#226 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:36 PM

The only thing that would have bugged me was that it's just another means for John to line his own pockets. If the money is going back into the franchise, I'm cool with whatever they want to call the stadium.

#227 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 February 2024 - 04:57 PM

I wouldn’t care about the official name, especially if any money helps improve the team. At least now there’s a chance that would happen.

I had to look this up, but Globe Life is the most recent corporate addition to MLB. They pay $11M/yr for naming rights. In payroll terms, that's not moving the dial very much. And it will only become increasingly marginalized over the 25 year span of their agreement with the Rangers. Sure, it's nice to have that contribution each year, but I don't see how it really affects anything on the field. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#228 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 05:40 PM

I had to look this up, but Globe Life is the most recent corporate addition to MLB. They pay $11M/yr for naming rights. In payroll terms, that's not moving the dial very much. And it will only become increasingly marginalized over the 25 year span of their agreement with the Rangers. Sure, it's nice to have that contribution each year, but I don't see how it really affects anything on the field. 

$11M/yr is a drop in the bucket for the Rangers, but lately that's been 15-20% of the Orioles' player payroll.

Also, like most long-term contracts I suspect that $11M is just the average annual value of the deal, and the Rangers are probably getting less than that now, but will get more than that per year towards the end of the term.

#229 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 06:13 PM

Plus it all adds up. Obviously none of us know what the books look like or how they will run the business, but the more that's coming in the more willing (I'd think) it'd be to spend, whether it's on payroll or other things. An extra 11M pays for several years worth of the 5% over slot draft tax for example. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#230 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 07:03 PM

I'll dislike it, but with new ownership it'll at least have a chance at feeling like a sacrificial re-investment rather than just a cash grab.  If they commit to spending whatever the revenue supports, then I'm ok with most efforts to increase that revenue, even the distasteful ones.

#231 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,405 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:52 PM

Does seem like Angelos preferred to own the team long term fairly recently. How long who knows. Whatever it was that ultimately made him say yes to Rubenstein was a godsend

• BobPhelan likes this

#232 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:00 PM

Does seem like Angelos preferred to own the team long term. At least at one time fairly recently. How long who knows. Whatever it was that ultimately made him say yes to Rubenstein was a godsend

Clearly it was reading someone on BSL continuously call him trust fund baby. To quote Josh Leyman from The West Wing, “victory is mine, victory is mine… bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.”
  • weird-O and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#233 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:31 PM

Ehh, that wouldn't bother me. Baltimore company, and nobody would practically say, "I can't wait to get to T.Rowe Field for a game." Everyone will still call it Camden Yards / Oriole Park regardless of who wants pay a sponsorship.

I guess I'm old school or maybe I'm just old. We would get used to it just like everywhere else but I like it the way it is.

#234 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:45 PM

Clearly it was reading someone on BSL continuously call him trust fund baby. To quote Josh Leyman from The West Wing, “victory is mine, victory is mine… bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land.”

“Please, please, PLEASE come and post on our site.”

- members of Oakland Sports & Life

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#235 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:32 PM

Quick interview with Rubenstein:

• You Play to Win the Game and weird-O like this

#236 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:46 AM

It's done!  Rubenstein is now in charge.

Approved by MLB owners today.  

https://www.espn.com...w-orioles-owner

https://www.mlbtrade...-wednesday.html

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan, BSLSteveBirrer and 1 other like this

#237 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

It's done!  Rubenstein is now in charge.

Approved by MLB owners today.  

https://www.espn.com...w-orioles-owner

https://www.mlbtrade...-wednesday.html

Great! Now we can finally go out and sign Tony Kemp! Oh, wait. . .

• SonicAttack likes this

#238 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

What a great day for Orioles Baseball.

#239 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 11:59 AM

Everything John did from the day he took control was for this.  Slash and burn expenses, slash and burn long-term commitments, try to get perks from adjacent development rights, "blank slate" the franchise as much as possible while making it attractive long term to someone who has / wants to spend money too... and in the end maximize profits from sale.  He just thought dad wouldn't last as long as he did.  The success Elias has had was a bonus for the fans, but never a concern for John.

Good riddance John. Forever.  Cash out the team.  Cash out the practice.  Move yourself to Nashville with the wife who can't sing. She is legitimately awful if you want to find samples online. :)  Enjoy your money dude...

#240 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 12:13 PM

Everything John did from the day he took control was for this. Slash and burn expenses, slash and burn long-term commitments, try to get perks from adjacent development rights, "blank slate" the franchise as much as possible while making it attractive long term to someone who has / wants to spend money too... and in the end maximize profits from sale. He just thought dad wouldn't last as long as he did. The success Elias has had was a bonus for the fans, but never a concern for John.

Good riddance John. Forever. Cash out the team. Cash out the practice. Move yourself to Nashville with the wife who can't sing. Enjoy your money dude...

I don't want him in that "special advisor" role. I want him expunged from the organization. Close the book on this dark chapter and move on forever.
  • SonicAttack likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=