277 replies to this topic

#261 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 09:20 PM

Maybe results meant nothing to him. I don’t know. I know he hired Elias and didn’t interfere with:

1. Building a ML quality analytics department
2. Building a ML quality Latin American talent procurement department
3. Building a brand new Dominican complex
4. Drafting who the baseball people wanted to draft

Whether John Angelos cared about results he let Mike Elias do all of the things that produced results. Most people, who don’t hold any personal animus, would give that person some credit for the results.

This.

John was a terrible owner. Peter was a terrible owner.

I will give John credit for hiring Elias, allowing Elias to do Elias things, and not interfere. Maybe John didn't care one bit whether the Orioles won 50 games or 100 games, but hiring Elias and taking a step back allowed the Orioles to be where they are today. I'll at least acknowledge he did that correctly.

#262 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:21 AM

I give John credit for:

• Lying about opening the books to the media.
  • Crying poor about young talent while the team is flying high in a playoff race.
  • Announcing a new lease with the governor even though there was no new lease.
  • Trying to extort parking lots and other development rights in exchange for a lease.

Good riddance.

• BSLMikeLowe, DuffMan, Ravens2006 and 1 other like this

#263 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:52 AM

I give John credit for:

• Lying about opening the books to the media.
  • Crying poor about young talent while the team is flying high in a playoff race.
  • Announcing a new lease with the governor even though there was no new lease.
  • Trying to extort parking lots and other development rights in exchange for a lease.
Good riddance.

You forgot...

- Providing some of the worst RSN coverage imaginable to save money for himself

#264 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 07:00 AM

You forgot...

- Providing some of the worst RSN coverage imaginable to save money for himself

And making sure he very visibly celebrated with the team when they won the division, as though he did literally anything to contribute to it.

#265 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:47 AM

Suspending Kevin Brown.

Putting a positive spin on that man is toxic positivity IMO.

#266 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:24 AM

I don't understand the exercise of arguing which Angelos was worse. A bad owner is a bad owner. I look forward to the day when that wretched name is never uttered again.  

• Slidemaster likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#267 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:21 AM

WTF is this Orioles press conference?  Wes Moore doing a political speech and talking about Baltimore homicide rate.  Awesome.

#268 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:25 AM

I don't understand the exercise of arguing which Angelos was worse. A bad owner is a bad owner. I look forward to the day when that wretched name is never uttered again.  

After 30 years it's needed therapy for our PTSD. We'll get over it.

• weird-O likes this

#269 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:33 AM

After 30 years it's needed therapy for our PTSD. We'll get over it.

Peter Angelos was a hero until about 1999 or 2000, so it's not a quite 30 years of trauma.  Just 25 :)

#270 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:10 AM

Peter Angelos was a hero until about 1999 or 2000, so it's not a quite 30 years of trauma.  Just 25 :)

I guess it depends on each individual's perspective. Pete lost me after '97 when he forced Davey Johnson out. That after Miller had been ousted the year prior and it seemed almost certain Gillick was just going to ride out the last year of his contract in '98. At that point I could sense we were in trouble. But yeah, the first few years were good....especially when he refused to use replacement players and protected Cal's streak.

• SonicAttack likes this

#271 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:15 PM

I guess it depends on each individual's perspective. Pete lost me after '97 when he forced Davey Johnson out. That after Miller had been ousted the year prior and it seemed almost certain Gillick was just going to ride out the last year of his contract in '98. At that point I could sense we were in trouble. But yeah, the first few years were good....especially when he refused to use replacement players and protected Cal's streak.

Yeah, Johnson leaving was hard to take, especially since most of his playing career was in Orioles black and orange.  You would have thought a sense of loyalty and knowing what an amazing manager he was would mean more to ownership.  Angelos could be very vindictive and Johnson never was one to hold back his opinions.  It was fairly obvious that the two disliked each other and that it was not going to end well. 

#272 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:51 PM

I guess it depends on each individual's perspective. Pete lost me after '97 when he forced Davey Johnson out. 

Right (sort of).  Everyone looks at the symptoms of the disease.  The symptoms are the things that made people mad.

The disease was that PGA thought he knew Baseball better than the so called professionals and that singular approach (which manifests itself everywhere in his life, including the Law Firm...it's not greed, it's control) is the root of all of the issues..

That's led to every single symptom Orioles fans have lamented over the last 25+ years.  Who they've hired.  How they've operated.  It's an utter failure of Leadership 101.  It's 1B of the things to fix for the new Ownership Group.

• makoman likes this

#273 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:52 PM

WTF is this Orioles press conference? Wes Moore doing a political speech and talking about Baltimore homicide rate. Awesome.

There shouldn't have been a politician there period.

#274 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:24 PM

There shouldn't have been a politician there period.

I'll hesitate to comment on specifics until I watch it, but....

...sure there should.  Politicians are part of the fabric of every city.  The question is why can't you do an event without being a pundit?  You can just be the Mayor Governor of the City State .

#275 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:27 PM

I'll hesitate to comment on specifics until I watch it, but....

...sure there should.  Politicians are part of the fabric of every city.  The question is why can't you do an event without being a pundit?  You can just be the Mayor of the City.

Wes Moore is the governor. 

Mayor Brandon Scott would've tried to lead us all in prayer. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#276 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:35 PM

Wes Moore is the governor. 

My bad, not paying attention

#277 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:36 PM

Mayor Brandon Scott would've tried to lead us all in prayer. 

Baltimore needs prayer.  

#278 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:37 PM

Baltimore needs prayer.

He says from thousands of miles away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users