Best line in the article.

#3 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 05:50 PM

While I agree with the premise of the article (damn, that's a long blog) it's rather short on how to do it as opposed to what to do. Okay, so you sign Jordan Montgomery for whatever it takes and give up the same to acquire Dylan Cease. That's not much of a blueprint. I like both of those guys and I'd love to see them here, but neither is prime Justin Verlander when the Astros acquired him.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 January 2024 - 05:57 PM

While I agree with the premise of the article (damn, that's a long blog) it's rather short on how to do it as opposed to what to do. Okay, so you sign Jordan Montgomery for whatever it takes and give up the same to acquire Dylan Cease. That's not much of a blueprint. I like both of those guys and I'd love to see them here, but neither is prime Justin Verlander when the Astros acquired him.

Yes but I don't think there is much question that having Montgomery and Cease would improve the team. Stronger rotation and better bullpen by giving guys like Kremer and Wells middle inning roles.

#5 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:01 PM

In fairness, Verlander wasn't prime Verlander when Houston acquired him as his FIP ERA was north of 4.00. My guess is their pitching coach (Brent Strom) saw a few tweaks in Verlander's future to get the most out of him (which as we all know, happened immediately). 

• dude and mdrunning like this

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 January 2024 - 08:48 PM

My issue with their team building isn’t that the O’s aren’t trying to build up to a huge payroll right this minute and blast off to the moon in future years; it’s that they’re undervaluing the present in search of nebulous cost-efficiency gains.....When you’re winning 60 or 70 games a year, punting present value for future considerations makes sense, whether we’re talking about saving money on salary or focusing on development over current players. But now that the O’s are competing for a division title, taking away from the present makes a lot less sense.

1000 times this. Championship-winning windows are never open as long as you think/hope they will be. Circumstances, both foreseeable and unforeseeable, always intervene. Planning for who is on the 2027 roster is a problem for 2027. The problem for today is, what are you going to do to give yourself the best chance possible to win a World Series?

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 18 January 2024 - 11:13 PM

So Ben wants to try and align the actions of the Orioles with some fallacy of winning actions/timelines in rebuilding. 

Seems horribly uninformed at nearly every level.

If they trade for Burnes, it's still horribly uninformed.

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:24 AM

They are doing something. Doing nothing is doing something.

This is in lock step with what they've done every off season so far. Being good doesn't change that.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:31 AM

Half of the top 50 free agents are still unsigned and there haven’t been many big trades. It’s the least active offseason I can ever remember. Trying to keep that in perspective.
  • Mike B, russsnyder and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:31 AM

This offseason reminds me of (if I remember correctly) the 2014 offseason, when they won the division and then did literally nothing to improve. Sure enough, they got worse and wasted an entire year of their window.

#11 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 09:37 AM

This team as currently constructed could struggle to win 80 games or they could win 100 again.

They absolutely need to do something.

• Mike in STL likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#12 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:05 AM

Blake Snell about to fall right in our laps!

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:17 AM

Half of the top 50 free agents are still unsigned and there haven’t been many big trades. It’s the least active offseason I can ever remember. Trying to keep that in perspective.

True, but you have to commend the fans for taking it so well.  :-P

@mikeghg

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:19 AM

This team as currently constructed could struggle to win 80 games or they could win 100 again.

They absolutely need to do something.

I think it would take injuries to fall to 80.  I think we still will see more upside from guys like GRod, Gunnar, Bradish and some of the rookies.  Then we hopefully will have a full year of John Means.  I think an impact starter would really set the rotation as one of the best in baseball, but I would not say no to an high leverage reliever.

@mikeghg

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:26 AM

I think it would take injuries to fall to 80. I think we still will see more upside from guys like GRod, Gunnar, Bradish and some of the rookies. Then we hopefully will have a full year of John Means. I think an impact starter would really set the rotation as one of the best in baseball, but I would not say no to an high leverage reliever.

Injuries happen all the time. Making one (or two...dare to dream) big addition would both increase the potential upside and insulate in case of some injuries or poor performances. Especially in the rotation.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:56 AM

Injuries happen all the time. Making one (or two...dare to dream) big addition would both increase the potential upside and insulate in case of some injuries or poor performances. Especially in the rotation.

I know that, but the all is lost if we don't land a TOR guy, is over the top, IMO.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@mikeghg

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:20 AM

I know that, but the all is lost if we don't land a TOR guy, is over the top, IMO.

What's lost would be a big missed opportunity to improve the team. Hopefully the negative outcomes don't come true and they actually then make whatever additions are needed at the deadline. But don't know how anyone could expect an addition in July if we didn't make any this off-season, last July, two off-seasons ago, or two Julys ago.

Still time to add and make all this concern moot. But I'm void of any optimism about the priorities of team management.

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:24 AM

Team is already solid from top to bottom if they don't really do anything. Can't be understated what a Snell, Montgomery, Burnes, or Cease would do for the rotation, though.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:25 AM

The Orioles aren’t doing any of these things! They’re standing stock still, as though they’re afraid that any roster movement will let a T Rex spot them.

This made me lol

That's a good article, which encapsulates many of our frustrations.

And before I continue, let me add for those that need to hear this:

All of us think the O's have done an amazing job with drafting (and other avenues of young player acquisition) and development. We are all very excited about this young core. I think we are all excited for next season even if they don't do anything else of note. 

So please consider that the next time any of y'all want to criticize fans on here for being too negative. 

However, as the author lays out, that's exactly why this inaction is so frustrating. The team is setup amazingly well to make a run at the World Series, and sure perhaps that will happen by doing little to nothing to boost their odds, but why should the organization be content with their current odds when the avenues to bolstering them are so abundant and apparent? 

If nothing but Kimbrel ends up being their offseason, then as the author points out, that flat out fails to make any sense. 

The writer showed other examples that the O's could follow if they so choose, all of which have some merit and fall under what should be realistic for this franchise. Please seize the moment!

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:29 AM

The freaking Rays signed a SP to a multi-year contract last off-season. And they've extended their own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=