47 replies to this topic

#21 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:04 PM

I'd love a SB title followed by a decision to walk away while on top... :)
  • bmore_ken likes this

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2024 - 10:40 AM

Gotta think Shula would've had a similar run had he not been poached by Miami.

I have always thought Shula wanted to be clear of Rosenbloom and he also had a love hate thing going on with his best player, Johnny U.  I think he realized the grass could be greener elsewhere.

@mikeghg

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 10:43 AM

Probably the coldest seat in the league at this point. Maybe Andy Reid is colder but you get the point. Every Ravens fan is better off that it is that cold and that Steve B understands the importance of continuity.
  • Mike B likes this

#24 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:09 AM

I have always thought Shula wanted to be clear of Rosenbloom and he also had a love hate thing going on with his best player, Johnny U.  I think he realized the grass could be greener elsewhere.

Shula was also offered a $70K salary (a lot in those days), GM duties, as well as a 10 percent stake in the Miami franchise (worth about $750K at the time). It was simply too good to pass up. But you're right, Shula's relationship with Carroll Rosenbloom soured after that Super Bowl loss. The Colts' owner openly blamed Shula for that Super Bowl loss and the situation became untenable.

Plus, I think Shula did lose some of his players trust after Super Bowl III. He'd always been a rather sharp disciplinarian, and when the team was riding high, his harsh words helped keep the players from getting too full of themselves. After that embarrassing Super Bowl performance, the players found his criticism a lot more difficult to accept. Shula was obviously a very good coach, but it was clear that it was time for him to move on.

• Mike B likes this

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:17 AM

Shula was also offered a $70K salary (a lot in those days), GM duties, as well as a 10 percent stake in the Miami franchise (worth about $750K at the time). It was simply too good to pass up. But you're right, Shula's relationship with Carroll Rosenbloom soured after that Super Bowl loss. The Colts' owner openly blamed Shula for that Super Bowl loss and the situation became untenable.

Plus, I think Shula did lose some of his players trust after Super Bowl III. He'd always been a rather sharp disciplinarian, and when the team was riding high, his harsh words helped keep the players from getting too full of themselves. After that embarrassing Super Bowl performance, the players found his criticism a lot more difficult to accept. Shula was obviously a very good coach, but it was clear that it was time for him to move on.

I think John and Rosenbloom both blamed Shula for the Jets loss.  Johnny maintained to the end that had Shula given him the whole second half, the Colts would have won the game.  I think Rosenbloom agreed.  

@mikeghg

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:48 AM

Even if Shula had stuck around, he'd have high-tailed it out of town in a heartbeat once he got a whiff of Irsay.

• Mike B likes this

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:48 AM

Probably the coldest seat in the league at this point. Maybe Andy Reid is colder but you get the point. Every Ravens fan is better off that it is that cold and that Steve B understands the importance of continuity.

You're right.  The seat is cold and it should be.  Good organizations don't push out good coaches.  The Ravens are a good organization, maybe the best, and John is a good coach.

@mikeghg

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 January 2024 - 11:49 AM

Even if Shula had stuck around, he'd have high-tailed it out of town in a heartbeat once he got a whiff of Irsay.

Absolutely.  He may have knocked drunken Bob out, on his way out the door.

@mikeghg

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:06 PM

Nice moment after the game last night between brothers.  Jim said he's now going to be allowed to sit at the adult dinner table with John and his father.  

418728588_2804159566405467_9056305672761

• Mike B likes this

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:09 PM

Its the Harbaughs year. Johns bringing one home too

#31 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 02:51 PM

I think John and Rosenbloom both blamed Shula for the Jets loss.  Johnny maintained to the end that had Shula given him the whole second half, the Colts would have won the game.  I think Rosenbloom agreed.  

I've heard that story too, and it might be sacrilege to say Johnny is wrong in this town, but I call BS on that.   The Colts fumbled the first play of the second half and the Jets recovered.  After that Morall had one other series which was a 3 and out.  They then went to Unitas.  He went 3 and out just like Morall.  The Jets controlled that quarter. They had 3 drives ending in 3 FGs, the end of the last drive coming a minute into the 4th quarter.  When the Colts got the ball back after that in the opening minutes of the 4th quarter, the drive ended in a Unitas interception.  Unitas led the Colts to their only points, but he was only marginally better than Morall.  I think maybe you could make a better case for the Colts winning if Unitas had played the whole game as opposed to them winning if he played the full second half. Mainly because maybe he doesn't throw the three picks that Morall did.  

The Colts had 5 turnovers, 2 missed fgs, and lost the TOP 36 to 24 minutes.  That's why they lost.  Another case of on any given Sunday.  The Jets had a good game plan and they executed it well.   If the two teams played 10 times the Colts might win 8 or 9 times out of ten.  But that day the Jets were just the better team on the field.  

• mdrunning likes this

#32 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 January 2024 - 02:53 PM

Kind of wonder if he just walks after this year, or maybe next, especially if we win a super bowl.  On one hand, coaching is pretty much always going to be fun if Lamar is your quarterback.  On the other hand, he'll be the 4th oldest coach (will be the 3rd oldest if Belichick gets canned) in the league and the workload of a HC is pretty brutal.  In 2025 we'll be in cap hell so he might just leave that for the next coach.

#33 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 03:13 PM

I've heard that story too, and it might be sacrilege to say Johnny is wrong in this town, but I call BS on that.   The Colts fumbled the first play of the second half and the Jets recovered.  After that Morall had one other series which was a 3 and out.  They then went to Unitas.  He went 3 and out just like Morall.  The Jets controlled that quarter. They had 3 drives ending in 3 FGs, the end of the last drive coming a minute into the 4th quarter.  When the Colts got the ball back after that in the opening minutes of the 4th quarter, the drive ended in a Unitas interception.  Unitas led the Colts to their only points, but he was only marginally better than Morall.  I think maybe you could make a better case for the Colts winning if Unitas had played the whole game as opposed to them winning if he played the full second half. Mainly because maybe he doesn't throw the three picks that Morall did.  

The Colts had 5 turnovers, 2 missed fgs, and lost the TOP 36 to 24 minutes.  That's why they lost.  Another case of on any given Sunday.  The Jets had a good game plan and they executed it well.   If the two teams played 10 times the Colts might win 8 or 9 times out of ten.  But that day the Jets were just the better team on the field.  

Between Unitas and Morrall, they threw the ball 41 times and completed 17.  Dismal day passing and like Roman in the 2019 play-off game, you wonder why Baltimore didn't run the ball more on the Jets.  Tom Matte had 116 yards on only 11 carries, including a 58 yarder.  Just a miserable game and it was more than obvious that the Colts, fresh off a 34-0 beatdown of the Browns for the NFL Championship, believed all the hype how much better they were than the Jets.  Especially after the Packers had pounded the Chiefs and Raiders in the first two Super Bowls.  The AFL was a joke, a minor league to the players in the NFL.  It all ended that day in the Orange Bowl and the Vikings tasted the same bitter pill the following year. 

• cprenegade likes this

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 04:03 PM

Kind of wonder if he just walks after this year, or maybe next, especially if we win a super bowl. On one hand, coaching is pretty much always going to be fun if Lamar is your quarterback. On the other hand, he'll be the 4th oldest coach (will be the 3rd oldest if Belichick gets canned) in the league and the workload of a HC is pretty brutal. In 2025 we'll be in cap hell so he might just leave that for the next coach.

I dont sense hes ready to walk away or slow down. I mean you never really know but I think the guy is a football lifer. Coaches into his 70s if health and other life things permit.

#35 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 04:28 PM

There's no doubt about it that Lamar saved Harbaugh's neck when he inserted him into the starting role.  The season was going nowhere, they were 4-5 and if Flacco doesn't get hurt and plays out the season, I'm fairly confident that the Ravens go 8-8 at best.  Maybe worse and I do think Bisciotti pulls the trigger after that.  And for those interested, before Joe had his career resurrected in Cleveland, he was 7-19 covering 5 seasons, including 2018.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#36 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 04:06 PM

There's no doubt about it that Lamar saved Harbaugh's neck when he inserted him into the starting role.  The season was going nowhere, they were 4-5 and if Flacco doesn't get hurt and plays out the season, I'm fairly confident that the Ravens go 8-8 at best.  Maybe worse and I do think Bisciotti pulls the trigger after that.  And for those interested, before Joe had his career resurrected in Cleveland, he was 7-19 covering 5 seasons, including 2018.  

I'm happy for browns fans that they now have something to cheer for. But the reality is Flacco's resurrection came against bad teams and he's thrown a lot of picks. That doesn't bode well against playoff teams. 

#37 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 06:40 PM

I'm happy for browns fans that they now have something to cheer for. But the reality is Flacco's resurrection came against bad teams and he's thrown a lot of picks. That doesn't bode well against playoff teams. 

Currently Houston 38; Cleveland 14.  Back to back pick 6's.  (LOL)

#38 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 13 January 2024 - 08:00 PM

Currently Houston 38; Cleveland 14. Back to back pick 6's. (LOL)

Not surprised

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 06:50 PM

Youll never see a team collapse and quit on Harbaugh the way the Eagles did on Sirianni the last 5 or 6 weeks. Never. And its capable of happening to most coaches. Its why guys like Tomlin and Harbaugh are special. Winning is hard in this league. Only one team ultimately doesnt end up disappointed.

#40 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 07:03 PM

There's no doubt about it that Lamar saved Harbaugh's neck when he inserted him into the starting role. The season was going nowhere, they were 4-5 and if Flacco doesn't get hurt and plays out the season, I'm fairly confident that the Ravens go 8-8 at best. Maybe worse and I do think Bisciotti pulls the trigger after that. And for those interested, before Joe had his career resurrected in Cleveland, he was 7-19 covering 5 seasons, including 2018.

I think I recall some reported rumors that Harbaugh and the Ravens had agreed basically to amicably part ways at the end of that season. No idea the accuracy of that, and maybe we'll never know. If JLC was the insider that started the rumors then it was total B.S. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=