• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:32 PM

The Ravens win it all, Harbaugh gets a 2nd SB title.... how is he remembered? HOF lock at that point? Does he continue to coach, or step away?

The Ravens go out earlier than expected, let's say they lose the Divisional Round game at home. Does his seat get hot despite the regular season success?

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:37 PM

His job is safe, despite his flaws. He's definitely helped by almost always having an abundance of talent, but the guy has a .618 career WPCT. Would be higher if Lamar had finished 2021 and 2022 healthy.

Another SB win and he's probably a near lock for the HOF someday.
  • DuffMan likes this

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:38 PM

I think the Ravens are his for as long as he wants, unless the bottom drops out for multiple years. And yes, he will get HOF consideration.

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:45 PM

He's an asset after the clock hits zeroes, and until the opening kick off next game. When the game clock is rolling, he's a spectator at best along for the ride, and sometimes a hinderance by inaction.

The games are won more by DeCosta and Newsome, and the IR list. Been that way for a long long time, and will remain that way no matter what happens this year or any future years.

Solid CEO. Too often a terrible heat of the moment conductor / driver. Gifted a good to great overall roster every season.

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:48 PM

John will be 62 next year. He's been the HC here 16 years. He's not old, but not quite young either. It's fair to ask how long he wants to stick around.

He's the fourth oldest head coach behind Carroll, Belichick, and Andy Reid.

I'd give Macdonald a raise and head coach in waiting title for when John decides to walk away.

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:56 PM

He should be a HOFer if he wins another title. Even if he doesn't he should have consideration. His resume is basically the same as Cowher's for example.

I don't think he has a hot seat any time soon. He's best buddies with both the owner and GM and has an easy excuse that he lost his QB the past 2 years. If this had been a limp into the playoffs type of year maybe, but he had the best record in the league. I also don't see him as the kind of guy that wants to be retired so I don't see him leaving any time soon either, but who knows.

• russsnyder likes this

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:05 PM

The Ravens win it all, Harbaugh gets a 2nd SB title.... how is he remembered? HOF lock at that point? Does he continue to coach, or step away?

The Ravens go out earlier than expected, let's say they lose the Divisional Round game at home. Does his seat get hot despite the regular season success?

2nd Super Bowl makes him a HOF lock if he wins and walks away from the game accomplishing nothing else. Though it took Tom Flores with 3, way too long. He'll keep coaching through Lamar's tenure. end of that he may be pushing 70, then call it quits maybe. But Pete Carroll is 72. Belichick is a dinosaur. 

Another divisional round loss and I'd heat his seat up. Bisciotti won't though. The job is his unless they start going 5-12 with a healthy Lamar. I'm sure Steelers fans are as tired of Tomlin as some of us are with Harbaugh, and Bisciotti envies them.

Even with this run, I could take him or leave him. Monken or McDonald could take over head coaching, still call their plays, and the results are the same. Harbaugh has a list of mile long of people he could thank for his success. It's hardly his own doing. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,937 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:06 PM

I think he's a HOF coach already, but he's an absolute lock with a 2nd Super Bowl.

As far as hot seat, only is something disastrous happens.  Like if they lose their first game again and then disappoint next year...I could see a change.  His gameday flaws are obvious and probably unfixable at this point.  I still think his good outweighs that but I also think its entirely reasonable for anyone to want to go in a different direction with someone with hopefully less obvious flaws.  Especially so if we get bitten again (John's fault or not) as a heavy playoff favorite.  I might be one of those people if we lose, depending on how it happens, and I probably would've fired him after last season if I was in charge.  I don't expect a loss nor a coaching change if we do lose.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,937 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:07 PM

Not a Lamar thread, but if Lamar wins MVP and the Super Bowl, he can retire the next day to focus on his restaurant and he's a Hall of Famer, too.

• DuffMan likes this

#10 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:08 PM

Funny thing, the Hall of Fame. One general rule of thumb regarding the Hall is if you have to ask the question (does so-and-so belong in the Hall?), the answer is usually "No."

• SonicAttack likes this

#11 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 02:15 PM

Funny thing, the Hall of Fame. One general rule of thumb regarding the Hall is if you have to ask the question (does so-and-so belong in the Hall?), the answer is usually "No."

It's not the ask, its if you have to think hard about it. If Harbs wins his 2nd Super Bowl, you don't have to think. He just is. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:21 PM

I think some will not appreciate John until he is gone.  I get agitated at some of his decisions but I think he is one of the best in the game.  I have long said that today's fans are tougher on their hometown manager, coaches, players than ever before.  We see their every move and play and no one is perfect.  The Ravens are tough, develop players, and win games at a high rate.  John gets credit from me on that.

He may be a HOF coach now, and if he wins he is almost a lock.

I also think John will semi retire from the Ravens similar to Ozzie, and just a gut feeling it will be in the next 2 to 3 years.

@mikeghg

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:47 PM

As much as his in-game tactics infuriate me at times, I think his ability to maintain the respect of his players and that they always play hard for him is more important. I also think he’s improved in moving on from coordinators who are no longer effective, though he still seems to wait about a year too long on that. And if he must hire family cronies, then do it at the lower profile positions (like Taggart-RBs).

In a league where 5 years seems like a long tenure for a HC, his accomplishments are Hall-worthy. Of course he’s been helped tremendously by having a patient owner and very good GMs, but plenty of other coaches could, and have, screwed it up.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 03:55 PM

I agree with the general sentiment.... he's had a HOF career as is.  
I respect - and believe - the continuity is a good thing organizationally. 

I do think if the Ravens win it all, that might be it for him.  (I think that second title would have him much more appreciated Nationally.)
I also think if the Ravens get bounced in the Divisional Round, the seat does get hot.

Not hot enough that he'd be forced out, but an unhappy fanbase, that would spend from now through July talking about the lack of post-season success from the last Super Bowl through now. 

(And if they go out early, and Macdonald takes a HC job elsewhere.... there is going to be a lot of sentiment locally and Nationally that the wrong guy walked.) 

#15 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 04:13 PM

With the completion of his 16th season at the helm of the Ravens, Harbaugh has tied the combined tenures of Weeb Ewbank (1954-1962) and Don Shula (1963-1969) as head coaches in Baltimore. That's pretty good company and even better longevity.

• 85Knight likes this

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 04:33 PM

Gotta think Shula would've had a similar run had he not been poached by Miami.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2024 - 04:46 PM

With the completion of his 16th season at the helm of the Ravens, Harbaugh has tied the combined tenures of Weeb Ewbank (1954-1962) and Don Shula (1963-1969) as head coaches in Baltimore. That's pretty good company and even better longevity.

Next season he’ll tie Earl, if you count his 1985-86 stint, as longest-tenured coach/manager of any Baltimore pro sports team.

• DuffMan likes this

#18 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 05:35 PM

John is HC as long as he wins, start losing and the tide turns, see Belichick.   

#19 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 07:57 PM

I don't see Harbaugh stepping down anytime soon. He is a young 61. His parents are in great shape. Excellent genes. I think he sticks around for Lamar's Ravens career.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:01 PM

I don't see Harbaugh stepping down anytime soon. He is a young 61. His parents are in great shape. Excellent genes. I think he sticks around for Lamar's Ravens career.

That would be kind of cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=