#41 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:39 PM

Stroman doesn't seem completely unrealistic to me even with the Angelos factor. His cost should be down enough that maybe he's in that contract range they were repeatedly offering Bassitt a year ago.

...and he's one of the reasons I can't believe we can't work something for Burnes.  They can trade Burnes (who they can't get more than 2024 out of), sign Stroman to a 2-3-4 year deal to replace Burnes and then trade Adames to the Marlins for more pitching. 

The Brewers can build a 5-6 year infield, get more years out of a guy like Stroman and still save 10+M versus spending more money with a terrible infield and losing Burnes and Adames after this season.

....and somehow, we can't figure out how to sell that.

#42 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:49 PM

....and somehow, we can't figure out how to sell that.

...and this comment goes towards Weber's comment(s).....

Part of that is how incredibly realistic, easy even, it should be to accomplish that given all the available players, the wealth of trade assets, and the hoarded treasure in the warehouse .....

The best move is still available.  It's reasonably available and doesn't take some crazy "....well, maybe the DBacks will trade Zach Gallen" type suspension of reality.

The Brewers aren't giving him away.  You have to bring something, but what they need is the places the Orioles have depth.

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,619 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:50 PM

Problem with Stroman is off the field comments that could be a problem specifically with Dean Kremer.

Mayo for Luzardo would be bittersweet for those guys since they’re brother-in-laws.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#44 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:59 PM

...and for those that want to blame Angelos ....you can add Burnes to today's payroll and still make it go down.

This loosely ties to this thread (24 predictions).....you just can't do everything Jake 'predicts' on a 26-man roster.

If Hays wins a GG (cool), where are Mullins and Santander (no additional trades) when Kjerstad makes the roster in ST and Cowser comes up in "April of May" and never goes back down.

How does Holiday make opening day (has to play every day) with Henderson finishing 3rd in MVP (playing every day) with Westburg playing 135 games....but Ortiz's "65 gade defense" makes a difference when Urias and Mateo are somehow still on the roster (no additional trades).

Mountcastle hits 31 HRs (cool) but that's playing every day.  What happened to OHearn? did we just release a guy that had a pretty big impact on the 2023 roster?....why did we release him, so we can have Kjerstad and Cowser on the roster but not playing?

If you want to do #1 (add a starter), then you are using assets that are part of these predictions that won't be part of these predictions. 

Pick a lane.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#45 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:12 PM

Problem with Stroman is off the field comments that could be a problem specifically with Dean Kremer.

Irresponsible.  I have some other comments.  Delete or not or let's discuss as much as you want publicly or privately.

#46 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:16 PM

Mayo for Luzardo would be bittersweet for those guys since they’re brother-in-laws.

Mayo is married to Luzardo's sister?  Mayo has 3 brothers, one of them (maybe it's on-the-line, but I don't see it).

Both played for MSD in Parkland.  Luzardo was 4 years ahead of him.  

#47 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:36 PM

Stroman is projected by MLBTR at 2/44, by fangraphs at 3/66. If those deals are impossible we might as well just shut it down until the family sells. Trading for someone is ideal, but if everyone is asking for stupid deals then just sign Stroman and call it a day, that is adequate IMO. I'm not asking for any of the guys who want 9 figure deals, but he seems plausible and he's an acceptable option.

I would be down with Stroman. In this day and age, you probably need to include an opt out after 1 year. They haven’t signed any FA to a multi year deal but maybe they’ll surprise me.

#48 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:38 PM

I would be down with Stroman. In this day and age, you probably need to include an opt out after 1 year. They haven’t signed any FA to a multi year deal but maybe they’ll surprise me.

I'm not in for Stroman.  He seems super-super interested in his Wine Brand.  I don't need to fund a Wine Brand.

#49 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:42 PM

Are you an Angelos?

I guess that’s some kind of humor or jab. Too much for you to come up with something better?

#50 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:51 PM

I'm not in for Stroman.  He seems super-super interested in his Wine Brand.  I don't need to fund a Wine Brand.

If you questioned his durability or effectiveness I’d take it more seriously than him having his own Wine brand. Really?

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 04:08 PM

If you questioned his durability or effectiveness I’d take it more seriously than him having his own Wine brand. Really?

Professional Baseball is a full-time grind.  Physically.  Mentally. Emotionally.  Players make sacrifices (family, other) to play MLB, especially at the highest level.  You already know that. 

MLB contracts are guaranteed.  You know that too.

My concern is that once he gets this next contract, he'll have a comfort level splitting time with his 'other passion' which is going to do nothing for me on the mound.  If I'm wrong, whatever.  I'm super willing to let anyone else figure it out with their money.

If you somehow make me build him into a contract, I'd want to go something like 1/25M which is 17.5M for 2024 and a 7.5M buyout on a similar Team option (so 1/25M rolling forward for each year) and I defer 2.5M out of each year to the last year of the deal which he only gets if the Orioles exercise the first 3 options.(so there's 10M for him after year 4) and he can void the team option (and the deferred money) after any year he wants. 

I'm going to make him pitch for his money. Since I think there's a 0% chance they can work that out, good luck to whoever else.  I don't hate the guy (I've argued for him in the past), I just don't trust his commitment to Baseball today.

#52 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 January 2024 - 05:41 PM

I guess that’s some kind of humor or jab. Too much for you to come up with something better?

I am just baffled how anyone can say with a straight face that they don't support these statements when it comes to SP?

1. We have to
2. No excuses if we don’t
3. Complete failure if we don’t

There are zero legit reasons the O's don't bring in a legit TOR type starter. And no "its management's money' isn't a legit reason in my book since they have pieces they can trade (excess pieces) that cost them nothing. Now do the HAVE TO? Of course not they are the owners. They can do what the heck they want. And if that's the case then #2 and 3 fit perfectly.

• bmore_ken likes this

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,619 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2024 - 06:09 PM

Mayo is married to Luzardo's sister?  Mayo has 3 brothers, one of them (maybe it's on-the-line, but I don't see it).

Both played for MSD in Parkland.  Luzardo was 4 years ahead of him.  

Actually I think one of Coby's older brothers is married to Luzardo's sister and they were both groomsmen in the wedding. Something like that.

• dude likes this

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,619 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2024 - 06:09 PM

Irresponsible.  I have some other comments.  Delete or not or let's discuss as much as you want publicly or privately.

Whats irresponsible? He was tweeting support of Kyrie Irving after his anti-emetic comments if I'm not mistaken.

#55 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 06:37 PM

I am just baffled how anyone can say with a straight face that they don't support these statements when it comes to SP?

1. We have to2. No excuses if we don’t3. Complete failure if we don’t

There are zero legit reasons the O's don't bring in a legit TOR type starter. And no "its management's money' isn't a legit reason in my book since they have pieces they can trade (excess pieces) that cost them nothing. Now do the HAVE TO? Of course not they are the owners. They can do what the heck they want. And if that's the case then #2 and 3 fit perfectly.

Can we agree that the Orioles aren’t getting a TOR through FA? If so it comes down to who is available and what you’re willing to give up. Who do you want?

#56 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 January 2024 - 09:12 PM

Can we agree that the Orioles aren’t getting a TOR through FA? If so it comes down to who is available and what you’re willing to give up. Who do you want?

Do I think the O's won't get one in FA? No I don't think they will. But they sure as hell could afford to. I want Montgomery.

As to the rest thats been laid out already. Top of the list probably Burnes or Lazardo.

#57 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:05 PM

Seattle traded Ray to SF and he's not going to pitch until mid to late season. Seattle isn't trading a pitcher. The O's may  wait until close to ST to see who's left that will take a 1 yr deal.

#58 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:07 PM

Depends on the target. The White Sox probably aren't interested in guys like Hays or Mountcastle since they are mostly tearing down and would want longer term assets. The Marlins probably would be since they're just reshuffling and still looking to compete.

I agree. But somebody else might. Maybe a contender who needs vet players and w/part w/prospects. The prospects could go to the WSox or Miami as part of the trade package in a 3 -way deal.

#59 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:56 PM

Just go sign someone. Screw these teams that are trying to pillage us

That's not the Oriole way. 

#60 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 02:02 PM

Seattle traded Ray to SF and he's not going to pitch until mid to late season. Seattle isn't trading a pitcher. The O's may  wait until close to ST to see who's left that will take a 1 yr deal.

As per usual the last few years. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=