126 replies to this topic

#21 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:09 PM

Two separate businesses, so doesn't have to be part of sale. But I'd imagine the Angeloses would sell together to maximize value. I can't decide if I think MASN is an asset or not, probably depends on if the current 2/3 split with Washington and control over tv rights remains or if MLB manages to gut it.

I'm sure it's not worth very much to them independent of the teams. I think the main plus is trying to rig the profits/rights fees so as little go to the Nats as possible, but an independent owner wouldn't have the same incentives. And I don't really want the team to have to sue Angelos every year to determine the rights fees.

• Mike B likes this

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:32 PM

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SELL THIS TEAM YESTERDAY!!
  • SonicAttack likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:41 PM

Not only would this be huge, but it would also come at a perfect time. A new owner taking over within the next calendar year would leave enough time for them to offer Adley and Gunnar whatever it takes to keep them in Baltimore for the long haul. Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but this could revolutionize the franchise.

Gunnar and Adley have no incentive to sign extensions at this point.

#24 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:44 PM

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SELL THIS TEAM YESTERDAY!!

I've long suspected that the salary dump that started pretty much when John took over control, and the lack of long-term contract commitments (see the Kimbrel deal) have always been because John wants to 1) pocket as much money as he possibly can for himself and his Nashville songbird wife while keeping the franchise afloat, and 2) minimize any and all forms of long-term debt already "on the books" so a new owner gets as clean a slate as possible to do with as they wish (which can increase the product value to a buyer).  He rolled along with both goals waiting for Peter to pass on, and the inheritance tax basis improves dramatically.  Maybe Peter is nearing his finish line and it's obvious?  Who knows.

Gawd I hope the second part is right, and we're finally nearing the other end of that path.  I know the first one is.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:46 PM

They have less incentive than they would have prior to their promotions... but both years away from the open market. 

Adley - as a catcher - especially has some incentive to listen. 

#26 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:53 PM

They have less incentive than they would have prior to their promotions... but both years away from the open market. 

Adley - as a catcher - especially has some incentive to listen. 

Perhaps, but I'm not sure the Orioles have a particular incentive--not for a catcher with four years of team control who will also be 26 by the time next season starts. Not trying to denigrate Adley here, nor do I want to see him go, but those are just the realities that go with a very physically demanding position. Think Joe Mauer.

#27 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 04:55 PM

I think catchers are more likely to be willing to give up some back end potential for up front guarantee.  Of course each person is different, and I guess the majority feel invincible in their mid-20s... but the position is tough on the knees and back and the breakdown can really impact the bat over time even if they can still command a good game.

That said, I would be surprised if any of them extend early at all...

#28 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:04 PM

David Rubenstein was born in Baltimore, so there may be hope.  

And not only that, but he also owns a 1297 copy of the Magna Carta, one of only four believed to be in existence.

How cool is that?

• Mike B and weird-O like this

#29 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:10 PM

And not only that, but he also owns a 1297 copy of the Magna Carta, one of only four believed to be in existence.

How cool is that?

Gotta put it on display at the stadium!

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:10 PM

Perhaps, but I'm not sure the Orioles have a particular incentive--not for a catcher with four years of team control who will also be 26 by the time next season starts. Not trying to denigrate Adley here, nor do I want to see him go, but those are just the realities that go with a very physically demanding position. Think Joe Mauer.

I've said previously, I would not be looking to extend Adley, and would trade him after Y4.
Maybe I'll feel somewhat differently if ownership does change.

I would be doing everything possible to extend Gunnar.   

#31 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:15 PM

We could have a Magna Carta Day. All programs that day would be written in Latin.

• Ravens2006 likes this

#32 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:22 PM

John (if he has any intelligence at all) should sell while the team is hot and take the Billions and leave.  Seriously, sell and become a multi-billionaire, it's not rocket science.  Personally, I would love for the Ripken's to be owners, but Cal doesn't have the cash.  

Make my Christmas dream come true!

• Ravens2006 likes this

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:29 PM

John (if he has any intelligence at all) should sell while the team is hot and take the Billions and leave.  Seriously, sell and become a multi-billionaire, it's not rocket science.  Personally, I would love for the Ripken's to be owners, but Cal doesn't have the cash.  

Ripken of course couldn't afford it... he'd be a face of the ownership like Jeter was in Miami. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:37 PM

I've said previously, I would not be looking to extend Adley, and would trade him after Y4.
Maybe I'll feel somewhat differently if ownership does change.

I would be doing everything possible to extend Gunnar.

Curious, what does one have to do with the other regarding Adley/new ownership?
@BSLMikeRandall

#35 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:41 PM

This has been discussed before, but I don't think anything would get done until Peter Angelos has passed. If this story turns out be 100 percent true, then maybe that reality is fast approaching. (Not that I'm wishing anyone to be dead, just to be clear.)

However, this story could also explain why no lease agreement has been reached between John Angelos and the state of Maryland.

#36 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:46 PM

Ripken of course couldn't afford it... he'd be a face of the ownership like Jeter was in Miami. 

At a reported net worth of $4.6 billion, David Rubenstein probably can't afford it himself, either. Assuming that a large portion of those assets aren't immediately liquid, it's hard to imagine him plunking down much more than, say, $1 billion for a 50 percent stake in the franchise. (I don't know what MLB's rules are regarding allowable debt, but I know the NFL imposes limits.) 

What will likely be needed are a bunch of wealthy Marylanders to each put a stake for anywhere around five or perhaps 10 percent. Cal and others could certainly be in the picture under such a scenario.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:01 PM

Curious, what does one have to do with the other regarding Adley/new ownership?

I'm dubious of an extension either way... but if there was new ownership that was willing to spend more... then you have more margin for error. 

I think the better play either way is getting a haul for him after Y4... but if you are spending a lot more, Adley doesn't have to necessarily maximize his production as much for the contract to still work.  And his command of the available resources means less too.

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:07 PM

If there's an "H" and "E" in there somewhere it can replace The Sun logo on the scoreboard.

• Ravens2006 likes this

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:12 PM

At a reported net worth of $4.6 billion, David Rubenstein probably can't afford it himself, either. Assuming that a large portion of those assets aren't immediately liquid, it's hard to imagine him plunking down much more than, say, $1 billion for a 50 percent stake in the franchise. (I don't know what MLB's rules are regarding allowable debt, but I know the NFL imposes limits.) 

What will likely be needed are a bunch of wealthy Marylanders to each put a stake for anywhere around five or perhaps 10 percent. Cal and others could certainly be in the picture under such a scenario.

I would think some or all of the current minority owners could keep their shares, so Rubenstein wouldn't need to purchase the full value of the franchise. Heck, even the Angelos family might still end up being minority owners (as long as they have no say in anything, no biggie).

And yes, MLB does have debt limits. I think they always did, but they may have tightened that after the McCourt/Dodgers debacle.

#40 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:45 PM

This is the thread I’ve been waiting 20+ years for.
  • BobPhelan, weird-O, Ravens2006 and 2 others like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=