48 replies to this topic

#21 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:52 PM

That doesn't seem like a huge package for Cease.

One guy in the top 50 and three guys outside the top 100.

#22 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:59 PM

That doesn't seem like a huge package for Cease.

One guy in the top 50 and three guys outside the top 100.

But if the White Sox insist on a pitching-heavy front of the deal, the Orioles aren't the best match.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:02 PM

Just saw that Cincinnati was asked for four top prospects from the White Sox for Cease. That included RHP Rhett Lowder, who MLB has ranked as the No. 41 prospect, RHP Chase Petty (outside the top 100), as well as two position prospects that rank Nos. 9 and 11, respectively, in the Reds' organization.

If Chicago's asking price starts with young pitching prospects, the Orioles aren't coming within a tankful of gas of getting Cease.

O's don't have any top-100 pitching prospects, but Povich, McDermott, and Johnson are all enticing guys who could improve a package.  If the White Sox are talking to the Orioles at all, then they seemingly aren't insisting on building the trade around a pitching prospect as the #1 and/or #2 pieces.

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:03 PM

I do think that it'd be great news for the Orioles if the White Sox want to go for a large number of prospects rather than one or two really premium guys.

#25 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:26 PM

It may not be that the White Sox inherently prefer pitching, just that’s who they prefer from the Reds.

I agree I’d rather give up more quantity than quality (obviously it would still take at least one very high quality prospect)

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:28 PM

It's been an abnormally slow Winter Meetings so far, no?  Is everything else awaiting what Ohtani does?

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:31 PM

Would love to see the Os add another RP along with the SP. The RP might come in a trade too. Elias said yesterday that teams are discussing our active roster guys. Makes sense. There just is a squeeze on our infield in particular. Too many mouths to feed

#28 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:33 PM

It may not be that the White Sox inherently prefer pitching, just that’s who they prefer from the Reds.

I agree I’d rather give up more quantity than quality (obviously it would still take at least one very high quality prospect)

Perhaps, but most teams will want at least some pitching in return if they are trading a pitcher.

#29 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:34 AM

What would we realistically have to give up to get Glasnow? Would Cowser and Ortiz do it?

That'd definitely do it, IMO.  Glasnow won't cost as much as Cease, due to only having one year of control.

If you want to argue the value of 2 guys in the top 50-60 prospects, ok, but I don't think that's a deal the Rays care about.

I still have Glasnow to the Dodgers.  The Dodgers need some impact at the top of the rotation, he's a SoCal kid and they don't care about the money.  Everyone has them signing Ohtani and if that happens, prospects like Rushing and Cartaya plus a non-Bobby Miller younger SP for Glasnow and Margot would seem right in terms of fit and need.

Not that the Orioles would even be interested in the 25M pitcher, in an inter-division trade, for a guy with some injury history, but the deal would be more like Basallo and Parada (Mets 3rd team in)....so something like....Basallo, Santander, Urias and Seth Johnson for Glasnow (ignoring the 3 real reasons Glasnow isn't a consideration).

#30 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:50 AM

No way I'd trade Basallo. He's either the catcher-in-waiting as Adley gets more expensive, or he could possibly be Mountcastle's replacement at first by 2025. Basallo would be up there near Jackson Holliday as far as trade availability. From everything I've read, his bat could really be something special. You don't trade that.

• SonicAttack likes this

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 02:01 AM

You're crazy if you think Glasnow is netting that much.
  • Mackus likes this

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:04 AM

Consider the source. Dude consistently undervalues.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:05 AM

No way I'd trade Basallo. He's either the catcher-in-waiting as Adley gets more expensive, or he could possibly be Mountcastle's replacement at first by 2025. Basallo would be up there near Jackson Holliday as far as trade availability. From everything I've read, his bat could really be something special. You don't trade that.

Exactly. Best pure hitting prospect in the system.

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:22 PM

Basallo is untouchable. Compare his performance/age/level with other international superstars. He’s special.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:27 PM

Basallo is untouchable. Compare his performance/age/level with other international superstars. He’s special.

Agreed, he is virtually untouchable.

• BobPhelan likes this

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:29 PM

I was a little surprised you ranked Mayo over Basallo.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#37 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:40 PM

I was a little surprised you ranked Mayo over Basallo.

It’s very close. Mayo is virtually ML ready.

#38 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:42 PM

It’s very close. Mayo is virtually ML ready.

Only worry I have with Mayo is that LF should limit his overall HR potential a bit.

#39 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:46 PM

Only worry I have with Mayo is that LF should limit his overall HR potential a bit.

It could but he hits the ball so hard I doubt the non-homers turn into many outs.

#40 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:37 PM

Active:

"Any pitchers want a one year deal?

I'm sure they'll sign whoever is left in late February/early March. 🙄

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users