@bopper33

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:03 PM

Sean Manaea is about the max level pitcher I can envision them signing.

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:50 AM

Someone tell Andy that Marco Gonzales is a salary dump.

#5 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:20 AM

I would love to get Dylan Cease, but not sure what it would take to get him. He is in a free agent until after the 2025 season and while he had a down year last year hopefully it’s just a blip and he gets back to normalcy with the Orioles…note my confidence

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:26 PM

I would love to get Dylan Cease, but not sure what it would take to get him. He is in a free agent until after the 2025 season and while he had a down year last year hopefully it’s just a blip and he gets back to normalcy with the Orioles…note my confidence

Remember what we got for Erik Bedard?  I think it'd take a comparable package for Cease.  Bedard had a much better year immediately before the trade than Cease just had and you could argue overall better career-to-date, but Cease had a far better peak season (albeit two seasons prior) and is a year younger than Bedard was.

A top-25 level prospect, another top-100 guy, and maybe two more organization top-20 guys.

• Hooded Viper likes this

#7 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:15 PM

Talk is Kjerstad or Cowser + Ortiz or Norby as the basis of a deal. Not sure if that's the WS demand or the Oriole offer.

#8 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:18 PM

I was hearing on the radio today that little activity overall is expected during the winter meetings. The market for pitchers just hasn't set itself yet and teams are preferring to wait. That includes the White Sox, who don't appear to be in any hurry to move Cease under the current climate. Until the first big pitching domino, such as Jordan Montgomery or Blake Snell, actually falls, teams will probably play it close to the vest while the pitching market begins to establish itself, be it free agency or via trade.

#9 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:25 PM

Remember what we got for Erik Bedard?  I think it'd take a comparable package for Cease.  Bedard had a much better year immediately before the trade than Cease just had and you could argue overall better career-to-date, but Cease had a far better peak season (albeit two seasons prior) and is a year younger than Bedard was.

A top-25 level prospect, another top-100 guy, and maybe two more organization top-20 guys.

Cease looks to me right now as a flawed mid-rotation guy who still has upside. I don't know what the White Sox have actually asked for in return, but I'm guessing it likely includes numerous players who the Orioles are not amenable to trading. Maybe that's why the White Sox are said to be waiting to move Cease. Once the front-line free agents come off the board, they're hoping the lack of supply will drive up the price.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:41 PM

Talk is Kjerstad or Cowser + Ortiz or Norby as the basis of a deal. Not sure if that's the WS demand or the Oriole offer.

Sounds about right, plus some deeper guys, depending on which choices from the two categories above.  I'd have preferred to signed a big FA than to give up that much talent for two years, but I'm not against such a trade.

• mdrunning likes this

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:49 PM

Didn't they ask for Holliday at the deadline?

Screw Cease. I'd ignore them based on the absurdity of that alone.

#12 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:15 AM

Active:

"Any pitchers want a one year deal?

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:22 AM

Wonder what it'd take to land Glasnow.  Just a rental, but a damn good one.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:54 AM

Didn't they ask for Holliday at the deadline?

Screw Cease. I'd ignore them based on the absurdity of that alone.

That's my recollection. But it seemed like every report of "O's and team X are talking trade" last year, had the other team asking for a package that included Holliday. As if JH wasn't already too much of an ask, they decided to really look foolish.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#15 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 09:21 AM

Two years of Cease isn’t worth that many cost controlled years. Not by a long shot. This is why I wanted Sonny Gray. Go sign a good SP2 to a FA contract and hope the signing with GRod/Bradish/Means can make for a dominant front four. 

#16 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 10:25 AM

Rather injury prone, but on top of that, would the Orioles be willing to send top prospects to a division rival?

When's the last time a true top-of-the-rotation pitcher with one year until free agency was traded in the offseason? There have been some traded at the deadline, but I'm rather hard-pressed to think of one traded in this manner.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 10:45 AM

He's awesome, but agree with mdrunning.... not real excited about giving up the player cost for the rental to a division rival.

#18 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 December 2023 - 10:49 AM

What would we realistically have to give up to get Glasnow? Would Cowser and Ortiz do it?

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 10:53 AM

What would we realistically have to give up to get Glasnow? Would Cowser and Ortiz do it?

That'd definitely do it, IMO.  Glasnow won't cost as much as Cease, due to only having one year of control.

#20 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:49 PM

Two years of Cease isn’t worth that many cost controlled years. Not by a long shot. This is why I wanted Sonny Gray. Go sign a good SP2 to a FA contract and hope the signing with GRod/Bradish/Means can make for a dominant front four. 

Just saw that Cincinnati was asked for four top prospects from the White Sox for Cease. That included RHP Rhett Lowder, who MLB has ranked as the No. 41 prospect, RHP Chase Petty (outside the top 100), as well as two position prospects that rank Nos. 9 and 11, respectively, in the Reds' organization.

If Chicago's asking price starts with young pitching prospects, the Orioles aren't coming within a tankful of gas of getting Cease.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=