51 replies to this topic

#41 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 03:40 PM

Marlon, Hamilton, Williams, Stephens, Stone, Darby, Maulett.

Bring on Miami.

#42 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:41 PM

Last year they left Armour Davis, playing his first NFL game, alone on Hill with no safety help on a long TD. All of the coaches, head and DC, sat there and decided it wasn't worth burning a TO apparently. Roquan also wasn't here, and I think (?) the highly overrated Chuck Clark was still wearing the helmet mic at the time??? That was fully preventable (the whole comeback) by someone having the common sense to dictate a lot of 3 or 4 deep and forcing Tua to go underneath.

Bend don't break, and don't let anyone behind you against that team. Greatly increases your chances of winning.

#43 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 04:47 PM

They are as good a regular season team as there is.

Until they show the ability to elevate in the playoffs like Philadelphia and KC have, I just don't believe they're a real contender. They play their worst in the most critical moments.

I don't know if the lights get too bright or if their heartbeat gets too fast or what. When the pressure is on, they fold.

#44 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:28 AM

Last year they left Armour Davis, playing his first NFL game, alone on Hill with no safety help on a long TD. All of the coaches, head and DC, sat there and decided it wasn't worth burning a TO apparently. Roquan also wasn't here, and I think (?) the highly overrated Chuck Clark was still wearing the helmet mic at the time??? That was fully preventable (the whole comeback) by someone having the common sense to dictate a lot of 3 or 4 deep and forcing Tua to go underneath.

Bend don't break, and don't let anyone behind you against that team. Greatly increases your chances of winning.

The issue is that those plays weren't obviously busted presnap because MacDonald was trying to disguise coverages by putting Hamilton in the box showing blitz. Either he or Williams was supposed to break back out and cover deep zone, and based on the comments post-game I'm pretty sure it was Hamilton.

On another play I think Hamilton bit on a deep crosser from Waddle and left Hill alone with JAD.

We just weren't very talented at CB that game and Hamilton was still figuring out his role.

#45 MikeinOwingsMills

MikeinOwingsMills
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:50 AM

Not saying they're "better" than us, certainly not this season....but do we give any breath to the Steelers as a potential threat?

I admit I'm worried that this OC change creates a spark, the light suddenly comes on for Pickett, they close out hot and become an even bigger burr in our saddle than we anticipated.

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:52 AM

Zero concern from me about the Steelers. Doesnt mean we'll beat them or hold them off for the division, but if they derail you, then you weren't going anywhere anyways.
  • Biggsy and PrimeTime like this

#47 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:19 PM

The issue is that those plays weren't obviously busted presnap because MacDonald was trying to disguise coverages by putting Hamilton in the box showing blitz. Either he or Williams was supposed to break back out and cover deep zone, and based on the comments post-game I'm pretty sure it was Hamilton.

On another play I think Hamilton bit on a deep crosser from Waddle and left Hill alone with JAD.

We just weren't very talented at CB that game and Hamilton was still figuring out his role.

To me that situation calls for straight up "show over the top coverage" pre snap and don't get cute. I get that someone, probably Hamilton, failed to switch over... but why put it on rookies with zero or almost zero NFL experience to pull off Ed Reed style bait and switch there? Show over the top coverage, show it blatantly, and force them to dink and dunk and take the underneath. The score and the clock is your friend.

Ugh, anyway, I still think that was a coaching mistake at its core because of who was available and the position the staff put them in. It's like me asking a slow base runner to steal third as the tying run in the last inning, and there's a cannon behind the plate... then putting all the blame on the runner for not getting a better jump on the pitch.

#48 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:35 PM

To me that situation calls for straight up "show over the top coverage" pre snap and don't get cute. I get that someone, probably Hamilton, failed to switch over... but why put it on rookies with zero or almost zero NFL experience to pull off Ed Reed style bait and switch there? Show over the top coverage, show it blatantly, and force them to dink and dunk and take the underneath. The score and the clock is your friend.

Ugh, anyway, I still think that was a coaching mistake at its core because of who was available and the position the staff put them in. It's like me asking a slow base runner to steal third as the tying run in the last inning, and there's a cannon behind the plate... then putting all the blame on the runner for not getting a better jump on the pitch.

it's 100% a coaching mistake to tell a rook in his 2nd game to disguise coverages by lining up in the box and then break out into the opposite side of the field in deep zone.  That said, if MacDonald dialed that up with Hamilton now, I'd be fine with it (and I'm sure he has.)

#49 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 03:57 PM

Hill is going to get his yardage one way or another.  It's inevitable.  What you don't want is him taking a ball to the house like he did last year.  Keep him out of the endzone and above all else, apply consistent pressure on Tagovailoa, make him uncomfortable and get him to the ground a few times.  Maybe even get a pick or two.  Miami doesn't worry me defensively.  The Ravens should score their 24-30 points against them.  Play a clean game and it should be a W. 

• PrimeTime likes this

#50 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 December 2023 - 12:05 PM

Hill is going to get his yardage one way or another. It's inevitable. What you don't want is him taking a ball to the house like he did last year. Keep him out of the endzone and above all else, apply consistent pressure on Tagovailoa, make him uncomfortable and get him to the ground a few times. Maybe even get a pick or two. Miami doesn't worry me defensively. The Ravens should score their 24-30 points against them. Play a clean game and it should be a W.

I've put this out there a few times but the 2023 Ravens are their own worst enemies.

Catch the ball, don't throw it to the other team, don't put the ball on the carpet and if those things happen, I will take this club to win 99 times out of 100.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:01 PM

I've put this out there a few times but the 2023 Ravens are their own worst enemies.

Catch the ball, don't throw it to the other team, don't put the ball on the carpet and if those things happen, I will take this club to win 99 times out of 100.

I agree, but I watch way too much football and that is the case with just about every team.

@mikeghg

#52 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 04:50 PM

I agree, but I watch way too much football and that is the case with just about every team.

At least with two out of 3 things the Ravens have been very good.  Lamar's int rate is really low at 1.5%, and we haven't been plagued by drops other than the Pitt game where the entire team decided to dip their gloves in butter.  Still need to work on putting the ball on the ground, but that's a pretty good start.

I think Lamar's making a bit more of a conscious effort to secure the ball - his fumbles lately have seemed at least understandable.  Earlier in the year he had some serious WTF fumbles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=