196 replies to this topic

#21 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:48 PM

I'd have been somewhat interested in the Gray or Maeda deals.  Gray would've cost the O's their 1st round pick, though.  And Maeda isn't a reliable bet to be the top guy I think we need, so he'd only have been an acceptable option if they had added two SP.

Gray is absolutely worth a first round pick. It’s the cost of doing business. 

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 01:52 PM

Gray is absolutely worth a first round pick. It’s the cost of doing business. 

I think it'd have been worth doing.  However, signing Gray wouldn't be my top choice for the rotation, so I won't criticize them for not beating this deal until/unless they don't do anything better.

They're notorious for doing nothing, and I'll crush them for that if it's again the decision, but right now I'm still of the mindset that there are many good options still available, including multiple options I'd prefer to this type of deal for Gray.

#23 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:00 PM

I think it'd have been worth doing.  However, signing Gray wouldn't be my top choice for the rotation, so I won't criticize them for not beating this deal until/unless they don't do anything better.

They're notorious for doing nothing, and I'll crush them for that if it's again the decision, but right now I'm still of the mindset that there are many good options still available, including multiple options I'd prefer to this type of deal for Gray.

Realistic options? Maybe Montgomery, but Gray is exactly the type of arm the O’s could use. They’re not breaking the bank for Yamamoto, and you can forget Kershaw, Do you really want to pay $30m a year for a five inning arm in Blake Snell?

#24 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:01 PM

We've got Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, and Kremer who are all locks or near locks for the rotation depending on health. Irvin will probably get another go at it.

I wouldn't expect any major FA SP signing.

A team with playoff aspirations would not consider Dean Kremer a lock or even a near-lock for the rotation. He’s a long arm until he gets better control of his arsenal (including developing an out pitch). 

• makoman likes this

#25 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:07 PM

A team with playoff aspirations would not consider Dean Kremer a lock or even a near-lock for the rotation. He’s a long arm until he gets better control of his arsenal (including developing an out pitch).

Yeah Kremer shouldn’t be handed anything. If we got someone good and Kremer ended up the 5th starter I’d be ok with it, not a high bar for that spot.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:10 PM

Ill take Stroman for cheaper over Gray and the comp pick. Gray is safer but not by some wide margin.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:21 PM

Realistic options? Maybe Montgomery, but Gray is exactly the type of arm the O’s could use. They’re not breaking the bank for Yamamoto, and you can forget Kershaw, Do you really want to pay $30m a year for a five inning arm in Blake Snell?

You gotta clarify if you're talking what I expect they'll actually do (or even be willing to do) versus what is possible to do given all the resources available.  Seems like you're toggling between the two.

I expect nothing.

But literally any of the pitchers on the market could be reasonable.  Yamamoto would be my preferred FA option. I like a few trade options as well.  Gray was on my list, but not at the top.

#28 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:23 PM

2/$24M for Maeda with the Tigers

He would've been a nice get for the O's.  I guess JA has set a very small budget, of course.  

#29 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:26 PM

Do you really want to pay $30m a year for a five inning arm in Blake Snell?

Maybe for Snell, I think so. 

#30 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:04 PM

We've got Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, and Kremer who are all locks or near locks for the rotation depending on health. Irvin will probably get another go at it.

I wouldn't expect any major FA SP signing.

Kremer shouldn't be anointed anything. Someone is going to get hurt. Thats just the nature of the business. As hard as GRod can throw, TJ is in his future not if, but when is the question. An ace caliber SP is certainly a need. Kremer as a 5th, if he earns the spot, or someone goes down. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:21 PM

Kremer takes a lot of crap on this board- but he's more than serviceable as a 4th/5th starter.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:27 PM

Kremer takes a lot of crap on this board- but he's more than serviceable as a 4th/5th starter.

His xERA was 4.96. 21st percentile in baseball. xBA was in the 15th percentile. I guess its not really saying anything to say a guy is a serviceable 5th SP but thats as far as it goes with Kremer.

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:37 PM

His xERA was 4.96. 21st percentile in baseball. xBA was in the 15th percentile. I guess its not really saying anything to say a guy is a serviceable 5th SP but thats as far as it goes with Kremer.

He was good enough to make 32 starts on a 101 win team. 

Part of the reason they won 101 games, is that he was able to make 32 starts, and give you 172.2 competitive innings. 

If you are grading him vs. front-end starters, he doesn't hold up.

If you are grading him vs. other 4th and 5th starters league wide, he's an asset. 

If you can do better than him, that's great.  

I'd like to obtain one front end starter, and knock people down a spot...  but if you went into the year with Kremer, Wells, Irvin holding 2 of the last 3 rotation spots; that's better than most. 

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:46 PM

Everything says he was quite lucky this year. If hes the 5th guy its not the end of the world but you cant rely on him and you have to expect regression.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 04:52 PM

Everything says he was quite lucky this year. If hes the 5th guy its not the end of the world but you cant rely on him and you have to expect regression.

Maybe.  He's made 53 starts, and pitched 300 innings the last two years, and he's been pretty effective.  I think it would be more of a surprise that he completely falls apart vs. continues to be useful in '24.

• BaltBird 24 and mdrunning like this

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2023 - 12:39 PM

CBS Sports: MLB rumors: Yankees talking specifics on potential Juan Soto trade, Bo Bichette speculation shot down by Jays

https://www.cbssport...t-down-by-jays/

#37 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 December 2023 - 05:39 PM

He was good enough to make 32 starts on a 101 win team. 

Part of the reason they won 101 games, is that he was able to make 32 starts, and give you 172.2 competitive innings. 

If you are grading him vs. front-end starters, he doesn't hold up.

If you are grading him vs. other 4th and 5th starters league wide, he's an asset. 

If you can do better than him, that's great.  

I'd like to obtain one front end starter, and knock people down a spot...  but if you went into the year with Kremer, Wells, Irvin holding 2 of the last 3 rotation spots; that's better than most. 

True, But the Orioles are in a position where they shouldn't have a rotation in 2024 that just better than most. 14th in the league is better than most. They are in position to have a rotation in the top handful of teams. But we won't with the FO we have.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 10:28 AM

CBS Sports: MLB rumors: Dodgers still eyeing Yoshinobu Yamamoto after Shohei Ohtani, Francisco Alvarez open to extension

https://www.cbssport...n-to-extension/

#39 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 08:41 PM

The Dodgers have reportedly come to terms on a trade for the Rays' Tyler Glasnow. The deal is predicated, however, on Glasnow agreeing to an extension, which is expected, according to Jeff Passan.

#40 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:48 PM

Tigers are giving Flaherty $14 million to pitch for one season. Good for them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=