246 replies to this topic

#221 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 09:54 AM

I don't know why an OC would wait until week 7 to suddenly be creative but I guess better late than never.

The playbook is pretty much an unfinished product. They will install new things all the time. In early weeks they haven't even gotten through all the verbiage in the book yet, and on Sundays they put on the play sheet the things they are going to run which might only be 25 or 30% of the entire playbook.  

My educated guess is that today they will review the game. The players are off tomorrow but the coaches will be in prepping for Wednesday's practice. Part of that prep is going over the 100 or so hours of work the quality control guys put in the last week, watching 5 or 6 of the opponents' previous games and listing every single tendency they find. Coaches take this information and start to form a game plan for the week to come. When the players come in Wednesday, their play sheet for practice might have a handful of new plays on it they haven't run yet. some not dramatic changes, maybe a change in assignment on a certain play. Some might be brand new. They'll talk about it in the meeting, go out to the field and run it "on air" (no defense) run it 7 on 7, run it against the scout team. Run it in a live setting. If there are plays that the offense (or defense) just isn't grasping come Friday, they should just be tossing them out. 

This week the Ravens had their number. What they scouted was spot on. What they installed worked like a charm. The Lions must not have recognized their own tendencies and probably didn't show the Ravens anything they hadn't already seen. 

The challenge lies in the ability to do this week after week. When what you are trying to install doesn't look good in practice, how do you adjust to be ready for the game? When you have a great week of practice then in game the opponent shows you looks you aren't ready for, how do you adjust? 

It's not like Monken was holding onto to his best plays, waiting to deploy them against the Lions in week 7. 

• Biggsy and makoman like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#222 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,678 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:14 AM

I don't know why an OC would wait until week 7 to suddenly be creative but I guess better late than never.

I don't think Monken deserves a pass so far but to be fair, an early turnover derailed the Colts game where we could have been up 14-0 in the first quarter. Then a Lamar fumble. The Steelers game was derailed by 7 drops and a wide open Flowers fall down. Then a Lamar fumble.

Yesterday almost everything went right. In the two losses so much went wrong, and was compounded by turnovers and poor coaching decisions.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#223 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:19 AM

The playbook is pretty much an unfinished product. They will install new things all the time. In early weeks they haven't even gotten through all the verbiage in the book yet, and on Sundays they put on the play sheet the things they are going to run which might only be 25 or 30% of the entire playbook.  

My educated guess is that today they will review the game. The players are off tomorrow but the coaches will be in prepping for Wednesday's practice. Part of that prep is going over the 100 or so hours of work the quality control guys put in the last week, watching 5 or 6 of the opponents' previous games and listing every single tendency they find. Coaches take this information and start to form a game plan for the week to come. When the players come in Wednesday, their play sheet for practice might have a handful of new plays on it they haven't run yet. some not dramatic changes, maybe a change in assignment on a certain play. Some might be brand new. They'll talk about it in the meeting, go out to the field and run it "on air" (no defense) run it 7 on 7, run it against the scout team. Run it in a live setting. If there are plays that the offense (or defense) just isn't grasping come Friday, they should just be tossing them out. 

This week the Ravens had their number. What they scouted was spot on. What they installed worked like a charm. The Lions must not have recognized their own tendencies and probably didn't show the Ravens anything they hadn't already seen. 

The challenge lies in the ability to do this week after week. When what you are trying to install doesn't look good in practice, how do you adjust to be ready for the game? When you have a great week of practice then in game the opponent shows you looks you aren't ready for, how do you adjust? 

It's not like Monken was holding onto to his best plays, waiting to deploy them against the Lions in week 7. 

Good breakdown.  Defense as a whole has been dominant so far around the league(relatively speaking compared to recent years) so it's not like everyone is lighting up the scoreboard, with the Dolphins being the exception.  Still, I don't think Monken had been particularly creative until yesterday.  Regardless of what the Lions were doing defensively, there had to have been other defenses they've faced with similar tendencies and schemes.  There's only so many ways you can play defense and then to suddenly break out a selection of offensive plays that have been buried for 6 weeks seems ridiculous to me.  Like I said, we'll see if they can sustain what they established against the Lions. That's the most important thing.  The last thing anyone wants to see is an offensive clusterF against Arizona. 

#224 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:22 AM

I don't think Monken deserves a pass so far but to be fair, an early turnover derailed the Colts game where we could have been up 14-0 in the first quarter. Then a Lamar fumble. The Steelers game was derailed by 7 drops and a wide open Flowers fall down. Then a Lamar fumble.

Yesterday almost everything went right. In the two losses so much went wrong, and was compounded by turnovers and poor coaching decisions.

I hear you and yes, the turnovers and poor execution has been a killer for this offense so far.  I'm speaking more to Monken trying out plays that have been in hiding until yesterday.  Even Ron Woodson on the radio broadcast was saying how different the play selection was and how potentially unstoppable it could be.  We'll see how it goes on Sunday. 

#225 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,678 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:27 AM

I saw a difference in playcalling too yesterday.

Not sure why it wasn't being used earlier on but it wasn't the playcalling that lost us the Colts and Steelers game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#226 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:30 AM

It was there in the Cincy game. More of the routes seemed to be in the intermediate range and not the short or behind the LOS type. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#227 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,652 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2023 - 11:13 AM

Hey guys it is okay to be happy and positive for at least a day.

• 1970, Biggsy, bmore_ken and 1 other like this
@mikeghg

#228 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 11:14 AM

Like I said, we'll see if they can sustain what they established against the Lions. That's the most important thing.  The last thing anyone wants to see is an offensive clusterF against Arizona. 

Right, more error free games than not.  We shall see. 

#229 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 12:01 PM

The biggest thing I like about Monken is the team is not breaking the huddle with 5 seconds left on the play clock...ever. It was a happening once or twice a drive under whats his face. 

The only time the play clock sniffs zero is if Lamar is calling out an adjustment based on the defense, he actually has time to survey now. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#230 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 01:42 PM

I literally said the same thing in the General thread. Personally I'm on cloud 9 right now. 

• Mike B likes this

#231 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 October 2023 - 02:58 PM

There was a group of people from Detroit tailgating next to us. They left Michigan at midnight. Drove straight to Baltimore. Tailgated. Saw their team lose 38-6. Drove back to Michigan after the game.

Don’t envy them.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#232 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2023 - 03:16 PM

I did the exact inverse of that for the Malice in his Heart game back in the day. Definitely brutal.

#233 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 October 2023 - 03:20 PM

I did the exact inverse of that for the Malice in his Heart game back in the day. Definitely brutal.

You were there?  I was too!  We didn't drive up and back the same day -- but man, bad game to attend live.

Imagine getting smack talked by Lions fans in the mid 2000's?

Nightmare 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#234 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 03:32 PM

How all these opposing fans getting in the stadium

#235 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 03:47 PM

The league could add a sky judge and do over of any combination of a few things; give coaches specific penalty reviews, designate certain penalties as reviewable and/or allow reviews in the last 5 minutes of the half and game.

Plus, the sky judge could expedite other reviews on challenges and eliminate the farce of the head referee going into the peep show booth or looking at the tablet.

Yep! Been saying it forever now. I've always said you want 3 upstairs with direct live video feed access, and well trained on how to use it including frame by frame stepping. Most plays we wind up griping about have been shown to us by the live broadcast truck before the next snap, usually within 10 to 15 seconds of the prior play being over. Possession, line of gain, and in / out of bounds should absolutely be reviewable by "the booth" at any time of game without the coaches needing to burn a challenge.

#236 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 04:42 PM

Once you get complacent, that's when they crush you. We're on to Arizona. All business. 

:)

@BSLMikeRandall

#237 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,071 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 05:34 PM

The best part of this performance is that no matter how good or bad the rest of the season goes, now we know its in there this season.  Even if they limp into the playoffs and grab the last Wild Card spot, there will be some room for hope that is based on an actual performance and not just faith that they can get hot and pop off a big win where they play really well.

#238 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,652 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:28 PM

How all these opposing fans getting in the stadium

Raven PSL holders sell their tickets 

@mikeghg

#239 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:50 PM

The best part of this performance is that no matter how good or bad the rest of the season goes, now we know its in there this season. Even if they limp into the playoffs and grab the last Wild Card spot, there will be some room for hope that is based on an actual performance and not just faith that they can get hot and pop off a big win where they play really well.

Im not sure why there was any doubt about this before this weekend. Ive been as critical of this teams inconsistency as anyone but Ive always thought their A/B game was one the best in the league

#240 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:53 PM

There hasn’t been doubt from me about him having it in him. Of course he does. It’s about the likelihood of it happening. It needs to not be such a rare thing. Sunday gave me a ton of hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=