#201 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 23 October 2023 - 12:33 AM

I didn't make a prediction so I feel a little dirty about saying this but I just couldn't believe how much the media was sucking off the Lions. I think they're good and this game is in no way indicative of their true talent level but we've had 8 years to evaluate Goff and he's basically Kirk Cousins 2.0. He still has a penchant for fumbles (he almost fumbled one today on one of his sacks) and for how much help he needs on offense, he doesn't have the kind of creativity/vision to carry a team the way we saw Lamar do.

Detroit made weird decisions about how to contain Lamar, and that certainly didn't help them here. They seem to have trouble with mobile QBs and there is no better mobile QB than Lamar.
  • BaltBird 24 and Steve55 like this

#202 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 05:15 AM

A lot of fans complain about the officiating in the NFL, and you're not wrong.  But there isn't much that can be done about it.  The game is the hardest sport to officiate.  Baseball has blown calls and that's not even a fast paced contact sport.  Basketball and Hockey have a faster flow, but there are only 10 people on the court or ice at any one time.   Football has 22 people on the field and every play has a ton of rules the refs need to be aware of.  It's easy to see it parked in front of the TV, the refs are at ground level trying to sort it out.  

The only way to get it 100% right is to run every play, and stop it to review every play to get the right outcome.  Nobody is going to watch that.  And even then, some plays are still hard to determine after minutes of slowed down replay from every angle.

It's not going to change, you just have to assume that in any game there will probably be about 1/2 dozen questionable calls.  The only way to avoid them not influencing the outcome is to play like the Ravens did today.   

There's different levels of bad calls.  The pass interference in the endzone against the Colts with like 30 seconds left cost them the game.  The league needs to do something about PI calls when the ball isn't remotely catchable.  A 10 foot receiver would have had trouble catching it.

#203 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 October 2023 - 05:28 AM

A lot of fans complain about the officiating in the NFL, and you're not wrong. But there isn't much that can be done about it. The game is the hardest sport to officiate. Baseball has blown calls and that's not even a fast paced contact sport. Basketball and Hockey have a faster flow, but there are only 10 people on the court or ice at any one time. Football has 22 people on the field and every play has a ton of rules the refs need to be aware of. It's easy to see it parked in front of the TV, the refs are at ground level trying to sort it out.

The only way to get it 100% right is to run every play, and stop it to review every play to get the right outcome. Nobody is going to watch that. And even then, some plays are still hard to determine after minutes of slowed down replay from every angle.

It's not going to change, you just have to assume that in any game there will probably be about 1/2 dozen questionable calls. The only way to avoid them not influencing the outcome is to play like the Ravens did today.

The league could add a sky judge and do over of any combination of a few things; give coaches specific penalty reviews, designate certain penalties as reviewable and/or allow reviews in the last 5 minutes of the half and game.

Plus, the sky judge could expedite other reviews on challenges and eliminate the farce of the head referee going into the peep show booth or looking at the tablet.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#204 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:09 AM

We need coaches to be ejected like in baseball. Let em go out on the field and just lay into the refs

In baseball the manager get tossed and sit in the clubhouse. You toss a football coach and the other team gains yardage.

#205 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:24 AM

In baseball the manager get tossed and sit in the clubhouse. You toss a football coach and the other team gains yardage.

Huh?

#206 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:29 AM

I still think the Lions are a very good football team and will win their division.  They just got punched in the face today and didn't see it coming. 

They may have been listening to all the talk over them last week. Might have been only because the Eagles & 49er's lost. Just like the Cowboys when they got beat bad came out with a big win, the Lions will whip up on the Raiders next Monday.

#207 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:32 AM

Huh?

An advantage of 15 yrds goes to the opponent if a football coach is tossed. In baseball besides the umps being pissed at the team once a manager is tossed he just sits in the clubhouse.

#208 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:36 AM

The league could add a sky judge and do over of any combination of a few things; give coaches specific penalty reviews, designate certain penalties as reviewable and/or allow reviews in the last 5 minutes of the half and game.

Plus, the sky judge could expedite other reviews on challenges and eliminate the farce of the head referee going into the peep show booth or looking at the tablet.

Unless the fans rise up and demand it the NFL doesn't like to use other leagues ideas.

#209 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:51 AM

Complete game. Just beautiful to witness. 

I loved them getting back to deception on offense. It seemed like anytime they had Lamar faking to run they hit a homerun.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#210 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:08 AM

Complete game. Just beautiful to witness.

I loved them getting back to deception on offense. It seemed like anytime they had Lamar faking to run they hit a homerun.

I think Monken gave a peek at the deeper plays in his playbook yesterday. He backed off a little once the game was in control.

Good to see more misdirection and some play action RPO's. Having a option play where Lamar fakes a handoff, then runs to the LOS only to stop and throw a ball. Not sure any defender can be disciplined enough to maintain their assignment with that amount of conflict.

#211 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:14 AM

Thought this yesterday while at the game and again when I watched the highlights. Are the WRs fighting too much for extra yards? I mean on one hand I love the passion but on the other hand that can also result in fumbles. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#212 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:23 AM

I think Monken gave a peek at the deeper plays in his playbook yesterday. He backed off a little once the game was in control.
Good to see more misdirection and some play action RPO's. Having a option play where Lamar fakes a handoff, then runs to the LOS only to stop and throw a ball. Not sure any defender can be disciplined enough to maintain their assignment with that amount of conflict.

I don't know why an OC would wait until week 7 to suddenly be creative but I guess better late than never.

#213 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:24 AM

They will surely be a top 5 DVOA team after today. Maybe top 3.

Pretty good day by DVOA

Aaron Schatz

@ASchatzNFL
Baltimore had 126.8% DVOA for yesterday's win over Detroit.

That's now the best single game for this season and the No. 14 best single game ever since 1981. #RavensFlock
8:19 AM · Oct 23, 2023

https://twitter.com/...429108463173837

#214 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:43 AM

Unless the fans rise up and demand it the NFL doesn't like to use other leagues ideas.

They do it in college football, which is essentially the NFL's minor league.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#215 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:44 AM

Just no more RPO/mesh point stuff with Justice Hill. The fumble rate on the Jackson- Hill exchange is like 50%
@primetime667083

#216 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:46 AM

Pretty good day by DVOA

Aaron Schatz

@ASchatzNFL
Baltimore had 126.8% DVOA for yesterday's win over Detroit.

That's now the best single game for this season and the No. 14 best single game ever since 1981. #RavensFlock
8:19 AM · Oct 23, 2023

https://twitter.com/...429108463173837

Seems a little, as the kids say, "sus". 

Better game than scoring 70? Maybe because they gave up 20 instead of 6, but they won by 50 instead of by 32. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#217 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 08:57 AM

Seems a little, as the kids say, "sus". 

Better game than scoring 70? Maybe because they gave up 20 instead of 6, but they won by 50 instead of by 32. 

I guess cause it's adjusted to the defense, and the Lions were 3rd before yesterday, 2nd overall. Broncos currently last in defense, 30th overall. I don't really know how it works though.

• Mike in STL likes this

#218 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 09:20 AM

I don't know why an OC would wait until week 7 to suddenly be creative but I guess better late than never.

Well I mean the receivers were dropping TD passes two weeks ago.  :mrgreen:

#219 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 October 2023 - 09:25 AM

To be honest, I believe today was all about the O line. Lamar had time time to be MVP Lamar

I think the offensive line, maybe more than any other unti, needs to blend together to build the teamwork that is needed to run block and to protect Lamar.The Ravens starting offensive line had not played a full game together until the Titans game.  I thought they did okay that game but yesterday they looked like the line we thought they could be.  Linderbaum and Stanley are the keys.  IMO, both were very good yesterday.  If they can all stay on the field, Lamar can be Lamar and good things are going to happen.  I am anxious to see if they can continue to build on the momentum in Arizona next week.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#220 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 23 October 2023 - 09:34 AM

I think the offensive line, maybe more than any other unti, needs to blend together to build the teamwork that is needed to run block and to protect Lamar.The Ravens starting offensive line had not played a full game together until the Titans game.  I thought they did okay that game but yesterday they looked like the line we thought they could be.  Linderbaum and Stanley are the keys.  IMO, both were very good yesterday.  If they can all stay on the field, Lamar can be Lamar and good things are going to happen.  I am anxious to see if they can continue to build on the momentum in Arizona next week.

It was good to see Gus get off some nice runs and the blocking overall was the best of the season so far.  It took Stanley a few games to get back into playing shape and Moses was overpowering Hutchinson the entire day.  I just wish they could stay healthy for the remainder of the season but I doubt that's possible.  Enjoy it while it's here.  The pass protection was outstanding too. 

• bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=