632 replies to this topic

#621 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 06:09 PM

I agree about the run blocking but the RB room is very underwhelming at the moment. Perhaps Keaton Mitchell can get a look here over the next few weeks and provide us with a more complete back.

I think Hill has looked good on several runs.  Maybe you need to feed him more than 8 carries.  With Gus, it's just been lousy blocking up front.  If you give him a crease, he'll get you those 5 yards, no sweat.  I really didn't anticipate the OL being an issue this year but it's quickly becoming one. 

#622 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 October 2023 - 06:37 PM

Yup. Both are issues. RBs and OL run blocking

I'm blaming the OL a little more. They can't pass block either

#623 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,100 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 06:45 PM

I'm blaming the OL a little more. They can't pass block either

I agree with that. But as jamie said, the rb room isnt inspiring either

#624 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

I agree with that. But as jamie said, the rb room isnt inspiring either

If the OL is playing like a top 10 unit, you can definitely get by with Edwards and Hill. Unfortunately they're not. Zietler is declining. Simpson has been pretty bad. And Stanley hasn't been playing up to his normal level. They can definitely get better if they stay healthy.

But a top end RB can make up for mediocre blocking as well. They can also take those runs Edwards and Hill take for 10 to 20 yards to the house instead.

Everyone has seen it in SF. Shanahan has always had a good run game with guys like Mostert, Elijah Mitchell, Jeff Wilson ect. As soon as he got CMC, it elevated even more. Those chunk runs have turned in to TD's.

Get a guy like Barkley, and pray he stays healthy, and you all of a sudden see some of these big runs turn into TD's. You see the small cracks that Hill tries to bounce around, and Edwards isn't quick enough to hit in time, turn into positive gains, because a guy like Barkley sees it, hits it right away, and breaks a couple arm tackles, and is gone.

#625 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 October 2023 - 08:19 PM

If the OL is playing like a top 10 unit, you can definitely get by with Edwards and Hill. Unfortunately they're not. Zietler is declining. Simpson has been pretty bad. And Stanley hasn't been playing up to his normal level. They can definitely get better if they stay healthy.

But a top end RB can make up for mediocre blocking as well. They can also take those runs Edwards and Hill take for 10 to 20 yards to the house instead.

Everyone has seen it in SF. Shanahan has always had a good run game with guys like Mostert, Elijah Mitchell, Jeff Wilson ect. As soon as he got CMC, it elevated even more. Those chunk runs have turned in to TD's.

Get a guy like Barkley, and pray he stays healthy, and you all of a sudden see some of these big runs turn into TD's. You see the small cracks that Hill tries to bounce around, and Edwards isn't quick enough to hit in time, turn into positive gains, because a guy like Barkley sees it, hits it right away, and breaks a couple arm tackles, and is gone.

Zeitler fell off the grand canyon compared to last year. I don't ever really recall seeing someone that's healthy decline that fast.

It also doesn't hurt that running backs are insanely devalued right now. You're going to trade a king's ransom for a lineman. You're probably getting Barkley and salary relief for a 5th rounder or maybe lower.

#626 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:32 PM

I would be seriously surprised to see the Ravens trade for Barkley.  

First, I don't think the Giants will trade him.  Assuming a loss tonight they are 1-5.  That seems like they would be sellers.  But if you look at the potential wild card race in the NFC, nobody has more than 3 wins.  Dallas can get to 4 with a win on Monday night, but everyone else is at 3 or less.  The Giants are not out of it.  But without Barkley, their offense is dead.  Their defense is not bad.  The only chance they have is to manage the game offensively and hope to win an ugly low scoring game.  If they come back and win, even more reason not to sell.

Second, I don't know that the Ravens have the cap space to pay Barkley.  I admit I'm not nearly an expert at cap space but it seems like the Ravens don't have the money to pay for a Barkley contract at this point.

Third, why would they pay Barkley the money they would have to if they weren't willing to give Dobbins an extension?  Neither is reliable injury wise.  Seems like that would be chasing something.  If Barkley could stay healthy it would be a good addition, but if not it's just a waste of money.  The RB group isn't great, but Barkley seems like someone you get if you know that's the last piece to put you into the SB.  I don't think I can say that.  

#627 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:00 AM

Have the Ravens ever made a splashy in-season trade on offense? Nothing jumps out at me.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#628 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:15 AM

I would be seriously surprised to see the Ravens trade for Barkley.

First, I don't think the Giants will trade him. Assuming a loss tonight they are 1-5. That seems like they would be sellers. But if you look at the potential wild card race in the NFC, nobody has more than 3 wins. Dallas can get to 4 with a win on Monday night, but everyone else is at 3 or less. The Giants are not out of it. But without Barkley, their offense is dead. Their defense is not bad. The only chance they have is to manage the game offensively and hope to win an ugly low scoring game. If they come back and win, even more reason not to sell.

Second, I don't know that the Ravens have the cap space to pay Barkley. I admit I'm not nearly an expert at cap space but it seems like the Ravens don't have the money to pay for a Barkley contract at this point.

Third, why would they pay Barkley the money they would have to if they weren't willing to give Dobbins an extension? Neither is reliable injury wise. Seems like that would be chasing something. If Barkley could stay healthy it would be a good addition, but if not it's just a waste of money. The RB group isn't great, but Barkley seems like someone you get if you know that's the last piece to put you into the SB. I don't think I can say that.

Who knows what the Giants want to do, but even if the NFC is mediocre they’re still 13th in the conference.

At the deadline Barkley will still be owed just about 5M. OTC has the Ravens at a little over 6M in space and some restructuring still possible. Seems possible.

Paying a guy for < 2/3 of a year is a lot different than a big contract with perhaps two guaranteed years, IMO. I don’t think Dobbins necessarily tells us anything.

None of that to say I think they should, I have no real opinion. You never know when RBs are going to fall off and he doesn’t have great stats this year, but I haven’t watched him play and his team stinks.

#629 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:31 AM

Have the Ravens ever made a splashy in-season trade on offense? Nothing jumps out at me.

Eugene Monroe

#630 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 October 2023 - 10:55 AM

I think Hill has looked good on several runs.  Maybe you need to feed him more than 8 carries.  With Gus, it's just been lousy blocking up front.  If you give him a crease, he'll get you those 5 yards, no sweat.  I really didn't anticipate the OL being an issue this year but it's quickly becoming one. 

I am hoping the Oline gets better as they play together a little more.  I thought Stanley was better yesterday after a terrible Pitt game.

The Ravens are still playing against heavy boxes, and I think they need to take more shots down the field.

@mikeghg

#631 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 11:23 AM

I am hoping the Oline gets better as they play together a little more.  I thought Stanley was better yesterday after a terrible Pitt game.

The Ravens are still playing against heavy boxes, and I think they need to take more shots down the field.

Stanley did seem way better. The whole line pass blocked well, Lamar barely seemed pressured. Run blocking did not seem very good, though the Titans were playing to stop the run too.

#632 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 11:47 AM

I wonder how much of the problem is teams stuffing the box or the Ravens run blocking schemes?  Even when teams knew the Ravens were going to run when Roman was here, there usually wasn't much they could do about it. 

#633 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 01:46 PM

They added Keith Moreland at the deadline back in '89... ah, never mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=