632 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 04:32 PM

I've definitely heard lots of Analysts regard Vrabel as one of the best coaches in the league.  
As far as how he is on gameday, no opinion.  Don't watch them enough to have one. 
Also not sure how large a percentage of the entirety of a HC's worth is on gameday. 

I'd say Harbaugh averages -3.5 WAR a season. :)

@BSLMikeRandall

#22 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 04:32 PM

ESPN's Matchup Predictor gives the Ravens a 68.6% chance of winning.

The Ravens are 3 point favorite, and the Over / Under is 40.

I'm sick and damned tired of ESPN's matchup predictor. They don't take into account how good this team is at playing badly against bad teams.

#23 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 07:01 PM

My bold prediction is the Ravens win if the receivers don't drop TD passes. Harbaugh doesn't pass on chip shot FGs, and we utilize the running game more  when we're ahead. Now will any of that happen? your guess is as good as  mine. 

#24 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 07:04 PM

My bold prediction is the Ravens win if the receivers don't drop TD passes. Harbaugh doesn't pass on chip shot FGs, and we utilize the running game more when we're ahead. Now will any of that happen? your guess is as good as mine.

I do know they're trying to get better every week. Does that help?

#25 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 09 October 2023 - 11:04 PM

I do know they're try to get better every week. Does that help?

I seriously want to laugh at that, but it's still too fresh  :-|

#26 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 October 2023 - 11:33 PM

I am not saying Vrabel is a great coach. Just saying he is a good bet to outcoach Harbs. Perspective is important. :)

I don't think Vrabel is a good bet to outcoach a telephone pole, much less another NFL head coach.

#27 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 06:10 AM

I don't think Vrabel is a good bet to outcoach a telephone pole, much less another NFL head coach.

Well, I'd take the telephone pole over Harbs at this point... :)

#28 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 07:32 AM

My bold prediction is the Ravens win if the receivers don't drop TD passes. Harbaugh doesn't pass on chip shot FGs, and we utilize the running game more when we're ahead. Now will any of that happen? your guess is as good as mine.

They utilize the run game, until one of the RB's inevitably fumbles. Then Monken and the whole offense panics foe 2 quarters.

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:00 AM

Is a trip to London the best thing for a team that struggles to do the simple things right? Is it a distraction? Is it a welcome distraction so they get out of their own heads? 

These two teams have history. I expect it to be chippy. I expect the Ravens to commit a personal foul at an inopportune time. I expect the Ravens to be not even ready for some trickery at some point. 

Titans 24 - Ravens 16

@BSLMikeRandall

#30 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:13 AM

They utilize the run game, until one of the RB's inevitably fumbles. Then Monken and the whole offense panics foe 2 quarters.

Fumbles happen and if you look at the replay the ball was stripped. It's not like he was carrying the ball carelessly, defensive players make plays too. They utilize the run game. Just not enough when ahead. There's no reason when we led the game for 3 quarters and the pass/run ration  was  38/19(RBs).  That's double the pass plays for a team ahead for most of the game. 

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:22 AM

Fumbles happen and if you look at the replay the ball was stripped. It's not like he was carrying the ball carelessly, defensive players make plays too. They utilize the run game. Just not enough when ahead. There's no reason when we led the game for 3 quarters and the pass/run ration  was  38/19(RBs).  That's double the pass plays for a team ahead for most of the game. 

The more things change the more they stay the same with this offense.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#32 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:37 AM

Exactly.  The one constant is Harbaugh.  Makes you wonder who's really calling the plays. 

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:39 AM

To be fair, they use the pass as an extension of the run game often. But they don't do it well. They have completed 26/27 passes behind the line of scrimmage and gained 94 yards. If a RB went 27 carries for 94 yards, its 3.5 YPC. Thats not good enough.

Other teams do this often as well, the Ravens are only 11th in the league in such passes. But KC averages 5.3 Y/A on 37 of those passes. MIA, 9.4 on 33 attempts!! The only two QBs who throw more passes, less than or as efficiently behind the LOS as the Ravens is the Cardinals and the Patriots. So, through 5 weeks now, whenever you see a pass behind the LOS, your basically having Mac Jones under center for a play. 

It's not a strength. They don't have the guys to make the plays to make it work. They don't have the line to get out there and block on a screen. It's inefficient, stop doing it. Hill and Edwards both average more than 3.5 YPC, so just pound it with them. 

I know the rebuttal is "they just have to execute better", or "those plays set up other plays." I've heard that coach speak non-sense too much.

• NewMarketSean and bmore_ken like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#34 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 10:26 AM

I had such hope for Monken

#35 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 10:29 PM

Gosh it's amazing how little I care about this game or their season anymore after last week.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 10:40 PM

Gosh it's amazing how little I care about this game or their season anymore after last week.

Apathy is running rampant. Apathy is worse than anger. Anger means you care at least.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,553 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 October 2023 - 11:19 PM

Threw $50 on Titans ML

Pay me
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#38 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 12:10 AM

Apathy is running rampant. Apathy is worse than anger. Anger means you care at least.

Feels like 2015-2018 Ravens football pre Flacco injury.

#39 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 October 2023 - 04:43 AM

To be fair, they use the pass as an extension of the run game often. But they don't do it well. They have completed 26/27 passes behind the line of scrimmage and gained 94 yards. If a RB went 27 carries for 94 yards, its 3.5 YPC. Thats not good enough.

Other teams do this often as well, the Ravens are only 11th in the league in such passes. But KC averages 5.3 Y/A on 37 of those passes. MIA, 9.4 on 33 attempts!! The only two QBs who throw more passes, less than or as efficiently behind the LOS as the Ravens is the Cardinals and the Patriots. So, through 5 weeks now, whenever you see a pass behind the LOS, your basically having Mac Jones under center for a play. 

It's not a strength. They don't have the guys to make the plays to make it work. They don't have the line to get out there and block on a screen. It's inefficient, stop doing it. Hill and Edwards both average more than 3.5 YPC, so just pound it with them. 

I know the rebuttal is "they just have to execute better", or "those plays set up other plays." I've heard that coach speak non-sense too much.

I've generally been of the opinion that RB screens don't work in our offense unless they're executed as RPOs with Lamar, and even then they're questionable because 1: defenses have to put a spy on Lamar, which ruins the whole thing about drawing them out so you can throw a screen pass behind them, and 2: even if defenses sell out on Lamar, Lamar himself has the ability to make an unblocked defender miss, so it just feels kind of pointless to throw the ball to a worse runner even when they do commit.

We've run jet sweeps in the past, and I think we've had limited success with WR screens, but this is the first time in many years that most of our offensive line, especially the career Ravens, have had to block for a RB screen, and they're clearly off on the execution, or defenses aren't biting on it.

Throwing the ball outside on a WR screen makes a lot more sense because the defense is going to be watching up the middle for a Lamar run.  If they shift outside to block the screen then it's an easy RPO keeper and there's an open lane up the gut for Lamar or a RB to run the ball.

• Mike in STL likes this

#40 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 October 2023 - 03:01 PM

I think all the bitching show people care.  I don't see any apathy, but that is JMO.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=