#21 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:06 PM

3 days from now, 4 teams that were excited to make the playoffs, will go home.

A week later, only 4 teams will stand.

All the teams (all 12) have strengths and weaknesses.  It doesn't matter WHO you play, it matters HOW you play.

The Orioles are 11 wins from hanging a banner.  

Show up and play your ass off. 

#22 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:33 PM

You want Texas to stick a fork in Tampa Bay. You don't want any part of that garbage can ballpark. 

• BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:44 PM

I remember being really happy to get to face KC in '14. I'll just wait and see who we get without much rooting interest or hope of a possibly easier path. It'll be the hotter team either way, I guess.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:23 PM

Dude, I literally never said that.

Just a jab about how you said we’ve “struggled” against the NL this year and how that has any bearing on what would happen in a theoretical World Series.

#25 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:29 PM

Just a jab about how you said we’ve “struggled” against the NL this year and how that has any bearing on what would happen in a theoretical World Series.

If we get to the World Series the last thing I'll be worried about are those records against the NL. I remember those series we lost being extremely competitive and we could have easily won a couple of them.

The record against the AL is a much bigger sample size and tells a better story even though it won't matter much when we face those teams again.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#26 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:26 PM

Part of me wants to face the Brew Crew in the WS, because I think it's funny to see the 30th MLB market in the finals....

...but I want Woodruff in the offseason so maybe it's better for them to bow out in the WC round and look at their team and reposition it for 2024 instead of running it back with this group..

#27 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:49 PM

3 days from now, 4 teams that were excited to make the playoffs, will go home.

Twins win a Playoff Series for the first time in more than 2 decades, end longest active losing playoff streak.

All sweeps, 2 road, 2 home.  Everyone is rested for the next round.

See you next year Rays, Jays, Crew and Fish.

Everyone is a couple bad bounces from going home.  Show up.

#28 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 05:58 AM

I remember being really happy to get to face KC in '14. I'll just wait and see who we get without much rooting interest or hope of a possibly easier path. It'll be the hotter team either way, I guess.

Yep.  All I was really hoping for was a grueling, bullpen-taxing 3-game series.  We didn't get that but TEX bullpen isn't great anyway.

The advantage of playing the WC round is that if you DO win, you come in feeling pretty good about yourself.  Show up early in Game 1, make sure TEX knows they ain't playing the Rays anymore.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 07:18 AM

I dont like Os fans liking tweets and laughing at Minn and Tor postseason losing streaks. We on a 4 game losing streak ourselves so lets chill with all that s**t

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 07:18 AM

Yep. All I was really hoping for was a grueling, bullpen-taxing 3-game series. We didn't get that but TEX bullpen isn't great anyway.

The advantage of playing the WC round is that if you DO win, you come in feeling pretty good about yourself. Show up early in Game 1, make sure TEX knows they ain't playing the Rays anymore.

Well said. Suppress their momentum in game 1.

#31 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 October 2023 - 07:21 AM

Yep.  All I was really hoping for was a grueling, bullpen-taxing 3-game series.  We didn't get that but TEX bullpen isn't great anyway.

The advantage of playing the WC round is that if you DO win, you come in feeling pretty good about yourself.  Show up early in Game 1, make sure TEX knows they ain't playing the Rays anymore.

They will figure that out real quick when they see/hear all of the fans rockin the Yard.

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:05 AM

I dont like Os fans liking tweets and laughing at Minn and Tor postseason losing streaks. We on a 4 game losing streak ourselves so lets chill with all that s**t

Isn’t it 5? The sweep by KC then the 2016 WC in Toronto?

Agreed. Lot of new fans that have zero clue about playoff baseball and our best record in the AL is meaningless as of now. I’m all for all the Johnny come lately’s jumping on board; the more the merrier. But I have a feeling there’s only one way this can end that would make them happy.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:09 AM

Isn’t it 5? The sweep by KC then the 2016 WC in Toronto?

Agreed. Lot of new fans that have zero clue about playoff baseball and our best record in the AL is meaningless as of now. I’m all for all the Johnny come lately’s jumping on board; the more the merrier. But I have a feeling there’s only one way this can end that would make them happy.

I forgot 2016. Prob wise that Ive completely blocked it out.

#34 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:17 AM

39 years is one of the longest droughts in the game, and 1998-2011 isn't so long ago either, so anyone having schadenfreude is kind of throwing stones in glass houses.

I'm ok with anyone being pleased with Blue Jays failures though. 

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:46 AM

Have the O's played any big series on the road this year aside from Tampa that may have had a playoff feel?  We had a bunch of big series at home and the team and fans showed up huge.  But I can't recall if there were many huge sellout crowds on the road or how the team played in those games if there were.  I know we showed up and played great in Tampa, but that's not a huge sellout crowd.  Will be interesting to see if crowd noise and energy on the road is any sort of a factor for some guys.

Only two more days to go!!

#36 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:52 AM

Have the O's played any big series on the road this year aside from Tampa that may have had a playoff feel?  We had a bunch of big series at home and the team and fans showed up huge.  But I can't recall if there were many huge sellout crowds on the road or how the team played in those games if there were.  I know we showed up and played great in Tampa, but that's not a huge sellout crowd.  Will be interesting to see if crowd noise and energy on the road is any sort of a factor for some guys.

Only two more days to go!!

The Houston series mid September was big for both, we were trying to hold off the Rays and them their two division rivals. They averaged over 35k+ each game. I don't know how it really felt at the time.

August also had @Sea and @Tor where we did well in front of 40k+ fans several times. @NYY the 4th of July felt important at the time because we seemed to be unraveling. Anything earlier was probably too early to have a really important feel.

Anyway, we did well in all those series.

• Mackus likes this

#37 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:00 AM

Format stupid. Cant believe baseball would plan a  series where after 162 games you  aren't guaranteed at least one home playoff game. Sure two teams didn't care but two teams sure as heck did. Its just bad planning. No series should be less than best of 5 anyway. All IMHO of course.....lol

#38 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:10 AM

Format stupid. Cant believe baseball would plan a  series where after 162 games you  aren't guaranteed at least one home playoff game. Sure two teams didn't care but two teams sure as heck did. Its just bad planning. No series should be less than best of 5 anyway. All IMHO of course.....lol

I get your point but you can't complain that much if you're the 5th best team in the league. In that case though they shouldn't reward a worse division winner, the 7th best team in the league got a home series.

Re: Having 5 games or traveling for both sides to get a home game, they're already playing in March and November and this is an easy place to cut a few days. Maybe they should go back to 154 for regular season, I don't really care either way about that I guess.

#39 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:17 AM

Even if you keep to a 3 game WC series you can do it.

Monday travel.

Tuesday am game at away team.

Tuesday night travel.

Wednesday night game at home team.

Thursday day or night game at home team.

Friday travel.

or 

Monday travel.

Tuesday game at away team.

Wednesday travel.

Thursday game at home team.

Friday day game at home team.

Friday night travel.

They do this all the time during the regular season.

Now the real fix is to do away with divisions. Balanced schedule. Top 4 make the playoffs. 7 game series. 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3.

I know beating a dead horse.....lol

#40 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:18 AM

This is a perfect example of, give an inch and they'll take a mile. Those teams were blessed to have a 3 game series, rather than 1 and done.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=