• Mashed Potatoes and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#2 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 October 2023 - 12:47 PM

Our only hope in the WS is Miami or Arizona according to Slide.

#3 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 October 2023 - 12:51 PM

Looking ahead ( I can do that because I'm not a player on the team :)  )  I think I would most want to see a WS against the Dodgers.  It would be a nice tribute to Brooks!  A 40th anniversary rematch with the Phillies would also be neat to see.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 October 2023 - 01:04 PM

Even those two teams still are NL teams, so not so much probably.

• BobPhelan likes this

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 01:26 PM

Looking ahead ( I can do that because I'm not a player on the team :)  )  I think I would most want to see a WS against the Dodgers.  It would be a nice tribute to Brooks!  A 40th anniversary rematch with the Phillies would also be neat to see.

I'd like to see Atlanta.  They are the perceived best team.  Always want to beat the best. 

O's in 6. 

• weird-O likes this

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:51 PM

This team can hang with anyone.

But there are some very good teams in this postseason that are going to be tough to knock off, starting with our likely opponent in ALDS, the Rays.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:30 AM

I'd like to see Atlanta.  They are the perceived best team.  Always want to beat the best. 

O's in 6. 

Nah, I want the O's to have home field advantage. Be nice to have games 1 and 2 in Baltimore, and, if they were to win in 6, to do it at home.

• mweb08 likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:56 AM

American League

Houston 3-3
Minnesota 4-2
Tampa Bay 8-5
Texas 3-3
Toronto 10-3

Orioles were 28-16 against AL playoff teams (.636).

If I added correctly...

Houston was 20-18 (.526)

Minnesota was 15-16 (.484)

Tampa Bay was 22-22 

Texas was was 19-20 (.487)

Toronto was 17-29 (.370)

• BobPhelan likes this

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:57 AM

The Orioles are as good as anyone and they proved that for 162 games.  The only thing I worry about is their inexperience in the post season.  They are still a very young team for the most part and it's going to be new to them.  How that impacts their performance is the X factor to me.  But strictly comparing talent levels, yeah, Baltimore can beat anyone. 

#10 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 October 2023 - 08:54 AM

Does anyone have a clear preference for an ALDS opponent?

I can talk myself into facing either team...the familiarity with Tampa and confidence of going 8-5 against them in the regular season or knowing that Texas' starting pitching is majorly banged up.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#11 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:10 AM

I can talk myself into facing either team...the familiarity with Tampa and confidence of going 8-5 against them in the regular season or knowing that Texas' starting pitching is majorly banged up.

I'm not afraid of anyone, but the Rays have been annoyingly resilient for the past several weeks. They are also just better, both teams can hit but the Rays are far better at pitching, especially with the Rangers being banged up. The Rangers' bullpen is far worse than the Rays' and that's big in the playoffs. Either way, let's hope for three 16 inning games.

An aside, I know people differ on this, but for me I don't care about beating the best. The Astros don't have an asterix cause they got the Phillies last year. There's no bonus points for beating a better team, the flag they put up doesn't look any different. Give me the Rangers, Twins, and Marlins/Diamondbacks. If we can't beat the teams we were 10-15+ games better than we don't deserve it anyway. 

• BobPhelan, Mackus, Nigel Tufnel and 2 others like this

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,392 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:12 AM

TB is the better team. Period. So in that sense you think you prefer Tex but who knows. A lot of people loved getting KC in 2014 til you know it went south quick

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:12 AM

Dude, I literally never said that.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,392 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:15 AM

I'm not afraid of anyone, but the Rays have been annoyingly resilient for the past several weeks. They are also just better, both teams can hit but the Rays are far better at pitching, especially with the Rangers being banged up. The Rangers' bullpen is far worse than the Rays' and that's big in the playoffs. Either way, let's hope for three 16 inning games.

An aside, I know people differ on this, but for me I don't care about beating the best. The Astros don't have an asterix cause they got the Phillies last year. There's no bonus points for beating a better team, the flag they put up doesn't look any different. Give me the Rangers, Twins, and Marlins/Diamondbacks. If we can't beat the teams we were 10-15+ games better than we don't deserve it anyway.

Yeah screw all that beating the best stuff. Give me the easiest path possible. Oh we got 5 seed Indiana in the National Championship and not a rubber match with Duke. Thank God. Pretty sure the 2012 Ravens didnt get bonus stickers for beating Manning, Brady and then the best NFC team to win their title either.

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2023 - 09:46 AM

I knew the playoff structure really overly favored the division winners. And while I really disagree with that I understand it.

But I didn't realize until I was looking at the schedule for the wild card round that the higher seeded team gets all 3 games at home. So the Blue Jays (yes I hate them) had two more wins than the Twins while playing in the toughest division in all of baseball yet have to go to MN for 3 games. 

Total crock. Get rid of divisions and just take the top 6 teams. 1 and 2 get a bye, 3 hosts 6, and 4 hosts 5. Or even if you think you need to keep divisions still reseed at the end based on records. 

And before anybody says "well you can't do that because the division winners need some reward and they don't play the same schedule."     Don't go there. All that does is make the argument I have made for years to go to a balanced schedule.  LO

In any event this if just broken.

• 85Knight likes this

#16 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:10 AM

I knew the playoff structure really overly favored the division winners. And while I really disagree with that I understand it.

But I didn't realize until I was looking at the schedule for the wild card round that the higher seeded team gets all 3 games at home. So the Blue Jays (yes I hate them) had two more wins than the Twins while playing in the toughest division in all of baseball yet have to go to MN for 3 games. 

Total crock. Get rid of divisions and just take the top 6 teams. 1 and 2 get a bye, 3 hosts 6, and 4 hosts 5. Or even if you think you need to keep divisions still reseed at the end based on records. 

And before anybody says "well you can't do that because the division winners need some reward and they don't play the same schedule."     Don't go there. All that does is make the argument I have made for years to go to a balanced schedule.  LO

In any event this if just broken.

With the top two teams getting a bye, go back to two divisions and give each winner the bye. Re-seed after the WC round.

• BSLSteveBirrer and CantonJester like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:54 AM

Mike I'd be fine with that too but the question is just what value do divisions serve? I just don't see any. The whole area rivalry thing, to me, has been greatly diminished with the ability to see every single game on tv. 

#18 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 11:32 AM

Mike I'd be fine with that too but the question is just what value do divisions serve? I just don't see any. The whole area rivalry thing, to me, has been greatly diminished with the ability to see every single game on tv. 

You play more games vs division teams. You need to win those extra games to win the division.

What I don't like, and it may change next year, is not reseeding the teams after the 1st rd like the NFL does. MLB just assumes the 3 beats the 6. Then the 4-5 plays the one.

#19 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 October 2023 - 11:44 AM

You play more games vs division teams. You need to win those extra games to win the division.

What I don't like, and it may change next year, is not reseeding the teams after the 1st rd like the NFL does. MLB just assumes the 3 beats the 6. Then the 4-5 plays the one.

So you need to win those extra division games to win the division.

1. That's not really true. Record in division only matters if tied.

2. But that still didn't answer the question. What value does having divisions add?

#20 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 12:34 PM

It's really a toss up for me but I'm leaning towards wanting to see the Rays. They have been unbelievably resilient but at some point their losses have to catch up with them.

With Bautista I'd feel pretty confident that we could continue to dominate the AL teams like we have all season but now I think we've been brought down a notch to the rest of the pack. Hopefully the addition of Means offsets the loss of Bautista when it comes to our level of play.

I also hope the wildcard round goes all three games and this rest rejuvenates us especially on offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=