382 replies to this topic

#341 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:35 PM

There was a lot of blame to go around, but I put this loss squarely on Harbaugh and Lamar.    Yes there were a lot of dropped passes, a blocked punt, and Humphrey got burned for the TD by Pickens.   But not going for 3 right before the half changed a lot of the way the rest of that game played out.  

As for Lamar, he's supposedly a franchise QB and he is getting paid like one.  That pass in the end zone was absolutely horrible.  That's the kind of pass I wouldn't even expect from somebody like Kenny Pickett, or Mac Jones, or any other mediocre QB.  That's not the kind of pass someone who gets called one of the best in the game makes.  Pull it down, run it, throw it out of the end zone.  Do anything but turn the ball over.  You have to preserve the FG try there.  Just incredible stupidity from someone in his 6th year as a starting NFL QB.

He's no Rhodes Scholar, that's for sure.  What's the record for the most fumbles by a quarterback in a season?  If he can stay healthy for the whole season, he has a fighting chance to make history. 

#342 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:37 PM

In fairness to Lamar, if all of those excellent passes were caught today instead of dropped, the Ravens win this game going away.  It wouldn't have been close.  This loss is on the receiving unit 100%. 

#343 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:38 PM

In fairness to Lamar, if all of those excellent passes were caught today instead of dropped, the Ravens win this game going away. It wouldn't have been close. This loss is on the receiving unit 100%.

Same is true if he doesn’t throw a pathetic end zone INT. That was Boller’esque. Just terrible.

#344 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,264 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:38 PM

In fairness to Lamar, if all of those excellent passes were caught today instead of dropped, the Ravens win this game going away. It wouldn't have been close. This loss is on the receiving unit 100%.

We would be saying he deserved a better fate if he was a starting pitcher in a baseball game.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#345 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:48 PM

Same is true if he doesn’t throw a pathetic end zone INT. That was Boller’esque. Just terrible.

That was horrible. That's a throw rookies make. Inexcusable. As is the strip sack. I was good with blaming the WR room. But you're absolutely right. Those turnovers are just as bad. And those WR's aren't making $50 million a year.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#346 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:53 PM

It wouldn't have come down to that pass if the receivers do their job. Inexcusable.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#347 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 03:59 PM

Not since the 2005 flag fest in Detroit has a Ravens team been so self defeating.

I agree this is one of the worst regular season losses ever. Just unacceptable
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#348 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:02 PM

I agree this is one of the worst regular season losses ever. Just unacceptable

I feel like we say this a few times a year losing to supposed inferior teams. Gets old.

#349 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:12 PM

I feel like we say this a few times a year losing to supposed inferior teams. Gets old.

Yep, was thinking the same thing while they were imploding on the field. Every year we have to endure this garbage at least a few times. And even a lot of the games they win are ugly and inexplicable. Yeah, it gets real old.

#350 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:15 PM

agree. I wanna blame John Boy and he deserves his share of blame but I still can’t believe all the drops today.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#351 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:28 PM

Time for a regime change.

It's been time

#352 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:35 PM

It's been time

Lamar will get hurt soon and save John and company for another year.

#353 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:36 PM

All good points.

I think some credit has to go to Pittsburgh's defense as well. They made some good adjustments and they took Lamar's legs out of the game. Just a brutal game.

Their defense played well, but if Harbs takes the chip shot  three and Bateman catches a wide open pass in  the end zone, the Steelers lose despite their D playing well. 

• russsnyder likes this

#354 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:39 PM

That was terrible, but Harbaugh gave up 3 points and Bateman gave up 7. Those imo cancel out that interception. 

#355 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 04:41 PM

Lamar had a pretty clean pocket today until we lost another lineman to injury. Same shit, different week.

#356 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 05:03 PM

3rd and short. Where's Gus?

Yeah, where was he when they had 1st and goal from the 4 in the first half?  Are you frickin kidding me that he didn't get one touch or that Lamar didn't at least attempt to run it in once?  Instead of it being 14-0, they settle for a FG and a 10-0 lead.  That was the beginning of the end as far I was concerned.  Then the implosion was on starting with the Hill fumble. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#357 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 05:46 PM

Is it asking for too much to have both Baltimore teams win today???

I'm sorry.

#358 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 06:10 PM

I'm sorry.

I knew it was an impossibility

#359 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 07:00 PM

I get that the receivers dropped a lot of balls out there today.  And that did affect the game.  Both Bateman and Agholor dropped balls that could have changed this from a heartbreaking loss to a blowout win.  But it happens.  Nobody catches them all.  Earlier I just saw Travis Kelce drop one that he should have caught.  Nobody in the league is more sure handed than him.  We've seen Bateman do that before.  That and the injuries are why I am seriously questioning whether he will ever become a decent receiver.  That's plagued Agholor his whole career and is why he keeps changing teams.  

But the two mistakes by the coach and QB are the ones I think carry more weight.  Harbaugh is a veteran head coach.  He also has seen enough of this rivalry to know that points are usually tough to come by.  He's got the best kicker in the league.  Take the 3.  If he takes the 3 it's 13-3 at the break.  Even after the safety it's 13-5.  At the point in the game when Pittsburgh kicked their second FG, they might have gone for it.  Instead of 10-8, it might have stayed at 13-5.  The game may have played out differently.  Inexcusable that a head coach with Harbaugh's experience continues to bypass somewhat easy points.

And the mistake by the QB cost the team another 3 points at the least.  He actually had a pretty good day up until then.  But one bonehead mistake wiped that all out.  Inexcusable for a franchise QB to make that throw in that position.  At that point you have to protect the FG.  Even if you just cover up or throw it away.  The only thing you can't do is turn it over.   That would be a bad throw by a rookie.  A terrible throw by a veteran.  For a franchise QB, unacceptable.    Didn't he do that last season against the Bills at home?  And he threw a terrible pick against the Giants, even though it was not a red zone pick.  He has to clean that part of his game up if he wants to be considered a good passer in this league.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#360 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 08:35 PM

Their defense played well, but if Harbs takes the chip shot  three and Bateman catches a wide open pass in  the end zone, the Steelers lose despite their D playing well. 

I read where Harbaugh later said the intent was to kick the field goal after running the clock down as far as possible. However, Linderbaum thought he saw a Steeler in the neutral zone and snapped the ball back to Lamar, which caught everyone by surprise. 

Of course, it might have just been better to kick and not worry about leaving a few extra seconds to a Pittsburgh offense which was moving about as well as a stalled car at that point.

• bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=