23 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 09:02 AM

2014 is better than this season (so far). We had a quiet owner who spent an appropriate amount of money. A GM who made meaningful deadline trades. It was a fun bunch of guys. Plus, Game 2 was the single greatest game I ever saw in person.  

This group of guys is also a fun bunch. But outside of the 26 guys who dress every day, the rest of it is infuriating as F. 

If this team reaches heights the 2014 team didn't, then my mind could change. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 09:14 AM

2014 is better than this season (so far). We had a quiet owner who spent an appropriate amount of money. A GM who made meaningful deadline trades. It was a fun bunch of guys. Plus, Game 2 was the single greatest game I ever saw in person.  

This group of guys is also a fun bunch. But outside of the 26 guys who dress every day, the rest of it is infuriating as F. 

If this team reaches heights the 2014 team didn't, then my mind could change. 

I see what you're saying, but it also reminds me a little of Trea, who because he couldn't/didn't watch any of the games, got caught up in all of the ancillary soap opera-ish stuff.  The games are pretty awesome!  I think the 2023 team is more fun to watch than 2014, because they play a more interesting style of baseball.

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2023 - 09:33 AM

I too am old enough to remember the very best of days of Oriole baseball, but this season is fast approaching some of those seasons.  This team seemingly rises to the occasion every time they are challenged.  They have just come off one of the most grueling stretches I can ever remember.  Two West coast trips, then another trip out to Houston, then to Cleveland where the Guardians and Francona, played like it was a play off series, yet a dog tired, Oriole team got back off the deck  on the shoulders of their two most veteran starters and got two extremely important games at the end of a 17 game stretch of games without a day off.  Hyde called the stretch unfair and he is right, but the club answered one more time.  

The Orioles are very likely going to win the division, and that is something even their architect did not think it was possible.  What a season!!!!  

It would be a great story if this team wins the Series, but this has been an overwhelming success.  

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

#24 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:42 PM

I was born in 1963.  I obviously don’t remember the 1966 season and I have only vague memories of the 1969 season.  1970 is the year I fell in love with baseball.  I remember being flabbergasted that the Orioles didn’t make the playoffs in 1972 - I honestly believed the Orioles made the playoffs every year.  Then, to add insult to injury, imagine my surprise when they had the audacity to trade my second favorite Oriole (Frank) to the Dodgers.  Before my 21st birthday, the Orioles had played in 6 World Series (winning 3) and made the playoffs 2 other times.  8 playoff appearances in 20 years is pretty darn good, especially in the days when only 2 or 4 teams made the playoffs each year.  Then you look at their stretch from 1977 to 1983 when they won 97-90-102-100-91*-94-98 games. (*prorated due to the the strike.). The maddening thing about that stretch is that they only made the playoffs twice.

If someone had told me in 1983 that the Orioles would not play in a single World Series over the next 39 years I would not have believed it.  Hopefully the 40th year is the charm.

• BSLChrisStoner, mweb08 and Don Quixote like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=