#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 August 2023 - 09:09 AM

3-3 roundtrip so far. Meager 17 runs scored in those 6 games. That's not going to cut it down the stretch. Time to tighten the belt a notch and get the offense back on track. A trip to Oakland might be just what the doctor ordered!

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 10:57 AM

West Coast trips suck. Period. Still have to go out to Arizona and LA again in a few weeks. 5-4 record would be acceptable.
  • Mike B likes this

#4 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:11 AM

West Coast trips suck. Period. Still have to go out to Arizona and LA again in a few weeks. 5-4 record would be acceptable.

Yep, that would be taking 2 out of 3 in OAK which would be fine.

And the offense has struggled but they've faced some really good pitching for like the last month.  Let's see if they can get back on track vs. a terrible Oakland team.

• BobPhelan likes this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:26 AM

Agreed, the team looks a little tired right now.  Today's off day and Monday should help.  Switching time zones, takes it out of anyone.

@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:30 AM

3-3 roundtrip so far. Meager 17 runs scored in those 6 games. That's not going to cut it down the stretch. Time to tighten the belt a notch and get the offense back on track. A trip to Oakland might be just what the doctor ordered!

The Orioles have run into some good starting pitching in Seattle and San Diego.  They will bounce back.

@mikeghg

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 01:48 PM

You actually lose ground against the field of you don't sweep Oakland. They have lost a lot more than just two-thirds of their games this season. Actually they'd need to fire off a 10-game winning streak to get back to a .333 winning percentage.

One game at a time, but get the sweep.
  • You Play to Win the Game, BSLSteveBirrer and jamesdean like this

#8 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:28 PM

You actually lose ground against the field of you don't sweep Oakland. They have lost a lot more than just two-thirds of their games this season. Actually they'd need to fire off a 10-game winning streak to get back to a .333 winning percentage.

One game at a time, but get the sweep.

That's certainly a way of looking at it.

They took 2 of 3 from the Braves.  2 of 4 from the Rays in Oakland.  

To demand a sweep of any team in the game of baseball is message board silliness.  I certainly hope for a sweep but 2 out of 3 would do just fine.  

• BobPhelan, Nigel Tufnel and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:36 PM

They also took 2/2 against the Giants recently. I don’t demand a sweep, I do want one. Doesn’t mean anything either way. This team will be just fine.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:37 PM

Also blows that today is only 8/17. Off days are the absolute worst.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:38 PM

That's certainly a way of looking at it.

They took 2 of 3 from the Braves.  2 of 4 from the Rays in Oakland.  

To demand a sweep of any team in the game of baseball is message board silliness.  I certainly hope for a sweep but 2 out of 3 would do just fine.  

It's certainly preferable to win 2 of 3 instead of what just happened in San Diego but the Orioles have no business not sweeping Oakland. They're a special kind of bad.  Just play smart baseball, don't make stupid mistakes like last night and things should take care of themselves.  Teams like the A's will always find a way to beat themselves if you don't get in their way. 

#12 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 02:45 PM

It's certainly preferable to win 2 of 3 instead of what just happened in San Diego but the Orioles have no business not sweeping Oakland. They're a special kind of bad.  Just play smart baseball, don't make stupid mistakes like last night and things should take care of themselves.  Teams like the A's will always find a way to beat themselves if you don't get in their way. 

Did the Braves, pretty much the undisputed best team in baseball, have any business not only not sweeping the A's but also losing the series?

It's baseball. Stuff happens.  Like Ricker said, the team will be fine.

• jamesdean and makoman like this

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:07 PM

Expecting a sweep is a big ask.  

@mikeghg

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:09 PM

Did the Braves, pretty much the undisputed best team in baseball, have any business not only not sweeping the A's but also losing the series?

It's baseball. Stuff happens.  Like Ricker said, the team will be fine.

The Braves should have kicked them all over the field and to lose a series to the A's is downright embarrassing when you're the best team in baseball. Sorry, no excuses and I'll be pissed if they don't sweep them.

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:13 PM

I agree, the Braves should forfeit their season out of respect for the game.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#16 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

It's baseball. Stuff happens. Like Ricker said, the team will be fine.

I feel like every day for the past 3 months something “isn’t going to cut it” or “there’s no excuse for it” or “it just can’t happen” with good teams. Yet here we are somehow with the best record in the AL. At least I don’t have to read anymore about how we haven’t played anybody yet. But yeah, over 162 games lots of stuff happens. Like when the 2021 O’s were 40some games behind the Astros and swept them at their place.
  • mweb08 likes this

#17 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

The Braves should have kicked them all over the field and to lose a series to the A's is downright embarrassing when you're the best team in baseball. Sorry, no excuses and I'll be pissed if they don't sweep them.

Ok. Good chance you'll be pissed then haha.

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:31 PM

Ok. Good chance you'll be pissed then haha.

Wouldn't doubt it. 

• Mackus likes this

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 03:35 PM

I'd say the O's have at least a 75% chance of winning each game. So that would mean about a 42% chance of a sweep, based on pure math.
  • jamesdean likes this

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 17 August 2023 - 04:30 PM

I'd say the O's have at least a 75% chance of winning each game. So that would mean about a 42% chance of a sweep, based on pure math.

I guess we're the only two expecting a sweep. Good to have you along. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=