173 replies to this topic

#161 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:03 AM

Always great to see a win to open a series.  Rodriguez pitched a solid game and hopefully, he's turned the corner.  One bone of contention going forward- since Mullins is playing again, how about putting him back to where he should be- leading off.  I've never understood Hyde's fascination with Adley at the top of the order.  

#162 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:15 AM

Always great to see a win to open a series.  Rodriguez pitched a solid game and hopefully, he's turned the corner.  One bone of contention going forward- since Mullins is playing again, how about putting him back to where he should be- leading off.  I've never understood Hyde's fascination with Adley at the top of the order.  

Generally agree that Mullins should be at the top of the order.  But its obvious why they like Adley up there.  It's because he's got the highest OBP on the team by a decent margin.  Adley is at 366, Mullins is next at 339.

• russsnyder likes this

#163 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:22 AM

Generally agree that Mullins should be at the top of the order.  But its obvious why they like Adley up there.  It's because he's got the highest OBP on the team by a decent margin.  Adley is at 366, Mullins is next at 339.

Yeah, I get it with the OBP but I'd rather see him hitting 3rd or clean-up.  His batting average has slipped lately but he's still one of their best hitters and I think he needs more RBI opportunities. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#164 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:35 AM

I would bet that Adley hitting first is a numbers group decision.

I agree though, I would have Adley and Gunnar, second and third, following Cedric, especially against right handed pitching.

Adley batting leadoff reminds me of Weaver putting Ken Singleton in the leadoff spot.  Bottom line though, it is working, we are 74-45.  

@mikeghg

#165 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:44 AM

Grayson's performance last night was very encouraging.  He has been good since he came back, but last night was ace quality stuff.  I loved the 6th inning.  He gives up the homerun to Cooper, then got pissed and went into the get off my lawn mode and blew the next 3 guys away.  Again, that was ace quality stuff.  He reminded me of Verlander with the power last night.  

@mikeghg

#166 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 09:33 AM

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be a young pitcher who is dealing, and you make one mistake that might be a few inches off of where the target was...or worse yet...is exactly where you want it...and the batter turns it around out of the park anyway.

Even average MLB hitters are so freaking good. The margins for error are miniscule.

I liked this comment.  Anyone who is good enough to even get to the major leagues is a great ball player.  I cringe whenever I see a player get called trash, bum etc.  These guys are all terrific players.

• JStruds likes this
@mikeghg

#167 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 09:36 AM

Defensive replacement unless you know something else. 

It looked like he could not run on the DP ball.  I would not be surprised if he is heading back to the IL.

@mikeghg

#168 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:08 AM

Again no Ks for Felix.

#169 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:24 AM

Again no Ks for Felix.

He looked tired last night.  That said, he got the job done.

@mikeghg

#170 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:32 AM

Fastball velocity is still there, but when you have zero control of anything. He did throw a slider or two for a strike. Bounced a few splitters.

#171 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:33 AM

Again no Ks for Felix.

Strikeouts are Fascist  

He threw the more democratic groundball and got  the DP to end the game.

#172 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 August 2023 - 11:45 AM

The save rule is stupid and Hyde needs to stop being so rigid with it IMO. There was little reason Bautista needed to pitch last night.

I’m absolutely willing to blow a game or two in favor of giving Bautista more rest here and there. I’d bring him in with leads of 2 runs or less and try and get by with other options with 3+ run leads.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and JStruds like this

#173 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:05 PM

He hastl struggled with the split most of the year. Its been inconsistent. He was still racking up the swings and misses on the fastball. Thats changed the last I dont know 4 or 5 outings. He did get 4 over the 2 innings in Sea Sat night. Just something to file in the back of the brain. He might not have quite the life on it.

#174 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:06 PM

The save rule is stupid and Hyde needs to stop being so rigid with it IMO. There was little reason Bautista needed to pitch last night.

I’m absolutely willing to blow a game or two in favor of giving Bautista more rest here and there. I’d bring him in with leads of 2 runs or less and try and get by with other options with 3+ run leads.

Exactly, If you don't trust some other pitcher to be able to finish a game with a 3 run lead and one inning to go then get them the heck of the team and bring up somebody else. 

Seriously if you don't trust a pitcher to get 3 outs before he gives up 3 runs then they have no business being on the roster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=