618 replies to this topic

#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:30 AM

Discuss all the trade deadline goings-on here.

Really hoping for a RP and SP.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,279 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:34 AM

https://twitter.com/...9HRtGnBNIQ&s=19
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#3 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:37 AM

The Jon Morosi reports are starting to drive me crazy. Feels like every report just says we are "engaged in discussions" but it's never anything of substance. I'm of the opinion that unless you have real news to report, why report anything at all. 

@LukeRollfinke

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:39 AM

Dude convince Verlander to come here

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:42 AM

If I ask someone to give me a million dollars, and they tell me no, I can claim we've engaged in discussions on the transfer of a million dollars. It means literally nothing.

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:42 AM

Verlander would be a great addition and the O's should be willing to take him without any salary thrown in although I understand the Mets will happily include some to increase their prospect haul.

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:45 AM

Last night the MLB shows were describing the Tigers activity as "waiting to see who blinks" in terms of their high asking prices.

ERod and Lorenzen are getting moved, it's just to who and for what.

Flaherty is getting moved and it's not going to be a crazy deal.

There's guys that fall on the tier even below those guys...like an Alex Wood (SF) or Rich Hill (PIT).

---------------

There's still RPs available.

The Rox have guys like Suter and if you wanted to do something bigger they have some other guys to consider.

The Mets will move Brooks Raley too.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:52 AM

What do we think is realistic for ERod? 

I'd be very happy to get him but I assume the cost is quite a bit higher due to being on what looks like a favorable contract going forward. 

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:53 AM

Dude convince Verlander to come here

The Orioles can actually have a good pitch (marketing) here.  I've said before I don't really want to outbid the Mets (or anyone) for his services, but if he wanted to force his way onto the Orioles it's not as if there are zero reasons.

The oddity of the Mets situation is that he actually got his record (tied) AAV contract with the Mets and with that craziness, you could actually get back into a deal that could make some reasonable sense for the Orioles.

Cohen needs certain things.  There's a world where that's fun to leverage, not sure the Orioles live in that world.

#10 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 August 2023 - 08:54 AM

I'd be very happy to get him but I assume the cost is quite a bit higher due to being on what looks like a favorable contract going forward.

He’s almost certainly opting out of his final two years so probably not as high as one would assume.
  • russsnyder likes this

#11 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:00 AM

just for the record, please no Stroman.  He was throwing batting practice to the Reds yesterday.

What would be interesting is to see Stroman face Kolton Kowser.....it would be like Trout vs Ohtani in the WBC, but, the exact opposite.

• russsnyder likes this

#12 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:04 AM

I'd definitely want a SP and ERod should be the primary target. Let the Dodgers have Verlander unless they pay most of his contract and throw in a useful piece like a RP. I'd be surprised if the Mets pay a good chunk of both Scherzer's and Verladers' contracts. I'd love to have another shutdown reliever. Preferably Hader who is LH, but like Ricker said in the game thread, Fuji is probably that trade. I'm Ok with that.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,937 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:05 AM

Similar cost to Giolito and Montgomery.  I think Rodriguez is perhaps the best pitcher of the trio, but he also carries some risk that they others don't because if he has a major injury in the last two months then he doesn't opt out and you're on the hook for paying for his recovery for a year.

Montgomery went for the Rangers #11 and #14 prospect (by MLB.com, ranked #4 and #8 in St Louis after the trade) plus a mediocre RP.

Giolito (plus a RP) went for the Angels #2 and #3 prospect (ranked #2 and #6 in Chicago after their trades).  Quero was a top-100 guy.

#14 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

just for the record, please no Stroman. He was throwing batting practice to the Reds yesterday.

What would be interesting is to see Stroman face Kolton Kowser.....it would be like Trout vs Ohtani in the WBC, but, the exact opposite.

That's awesome!
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

He’s almost certainly opting out of his final two years so probably not as high as one would assume.

Ah, I didn't see that he has an opt out. 

Alright, well he should basically be had at rental prices then. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:06 AM

You can work around that and build a window to solve it in whatever direction you wanted it solved, but those windows close when you wait to the last minute.

I'd guess they want someone from the [Mayo/Cowser/Kjerstad/Westburg] group plus someone like Povich and a couple lesser pieces.

If it's just Beavers and Prieto, I'm not sure why it's not already done....could that actually be the best offer?

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,937 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:09 AM

Its three more years he's opting out on.   3/$49M left but its frontloaded so a bit more valuable on paper.  Agree he almost certainly opts out, only a major injury would prevent that, I think even if he struggles down the stretch he still gets a ton more as a FA.

• BobPhelan and RichardZ like this

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,486 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:26 AM

I'd definitely want a SP and ERod should be the primary target. Let the Dodgers have Verlander unless they pay most of his contract and throw in a useful piece like a RP. I'd be surprised if the Mets pay a good chunk of both Scherzer's and Verladers' contracts. I'd love to have another shutdown reliever. Preferably Hader who is LH, but like Ricker said in the game thread, Fuji is probably that trade. I'm Ok with that.

Don’t forget there is hidden savings for the Mets in the form of luxury tax dollars they won’t have to spend if they move those guys, so they can still save a lot by paying ~50% of the contract, plus it gets them better prospects.

• russsnyder and makoman like this

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:29 AM

I think it should be viewer as a rental. Hes 100% opting out unless he gets injured

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:31 AM

Don’t forget there is hidden savings for the Mets in the form of luxury tax dollars they won’t have to spend if they move those guys, so they can still save a lot by paying ~50% of the contract, plus it gets them better prospects.

Correct, but it's not really about the money.  The Mets aren't rebuilding and Cohen doesn't really give a crap about the dollars. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=