Kyle Gibson vs Chris Bassitt

#2 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:17 AM

I'll take 2-2 in this series. I think we're 16-9 in July in what looked liked a brutal month. Now August schedule looks a little softer. That's why you play the games.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#3 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:06 AM

Advantage Toronto in this game.  Hopefully, Gibson can log 6 innings and not give up more than 4 or 5 runs.  Just not feeling this one. It would be great if I'm wrong. 

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:28 AM

Bassitt hasn’t been dominant. Stay in the game and win it late. Bautista is well rested.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 11:49 AM

Bassitt hasn’t been dominant. Stay in the game and win it late. Bautista is well rested.

Dominant, no, but he's been the same very good pitcher he's always been.  Especially since his first start when he gave up 9 runs.  

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:11 PM

Bassitt has given up 24 ER in 3 starts totaling 10.1 IP, including 8 ER in 3 IP against us.

Otherwise he's been very good.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:19 PM

Dominant, no, but he's been the same very good pitcher he's always been. Especially since his first start when he gave up 9 runs.

I have it on good authority that he's not that good, nor would he have been a good addition to the Orioles.

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:40 PM

I have it on good authority that he's not that good, nor would he have been a good addition to the Orioles.

He would’ve only been good in year 1, which we weren’t interested in yet. Slight upward arc.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:48 PM

My comment had nothing to do with this past offseason… just saying he’s not someone to be intimidated by going into the game.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:51 PM

My comment had nothing to do with this past offseason… just saying he’s not someone to be intimidated by going into the game.

We just beat Gerritt Cole, I don't think anyone is afraid.  But Bassitt is legit.  He's not immune to a dud, so definitely go in and hope to lay one on him.  But he's allowed 0 runs in 6+ innings in 7 of his 22 starts this year.  He's a very, very good SP.

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:56 PM

We scored 0 runs against Cole. And I agree? With maybe one less “very”.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:56 PM

I wasn't in any way referencing you or something you said. I agree with you.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 12:57 PM

Hes not very, very good. Gibson has the same rWAR and a decent bit higher fWAR. They also have similar xERAs and xFIP. Hes a solid vet in the way Gibson has been a solid vet.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:02 PM

Hes not very, very good. Gibson has the same rWAR and a decent bit higher fWAR. They also have similar xERAs and xFIP. Hes a solid vet in the way Gibson has been a solid vet.

No point in continuing the discussion if you think this is true.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:05 PM

You dispute facts now. Interesting. I essentially think they are the same pitcher now. Is Bassitt safer? Yes, but the ceiling isnt that much if any higher than Gibson at this point

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:06 PM

ERA of 5.04 since June 13. Actual and expected ERA on a steady three year incline.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:08 PM

ERA of 5.04 since June 13. Actual and expected ERA on a steady three year incline.

Yup, hes clearly in decline. Gibson was a decent bit worse at one point but hes seemed to have held steady at being well Kyle Gibson. Bassitt has been on a steady decline to his level.

#18 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 01:47 PM

When I looked at the pitching numbers from this year for both pitchers they looked pretty close. I wouldn't say this is a mismatch or a game we can't win. With the way we've handled Toronto this year I'd go as far as calling this a toss up.

#19 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 02:50 PM

We just beat Gerritt Cole, I don't think anyone is afraid. But Bassitt is legit. He's not immune to a dud, so definitely go in and hope to lay one on him. But he's allowed 0 runs in 6+ innings in 7 of his 22 starts this year. He's a very, very good SP.

His ERA+ is 106 this year, so he's just a touch better than league average. He's also struggled against lefties; to the tune of .897 OPS against. And we gave Bassit the business in a small sample size.

I would have taken him here but I'm not pressed about tonight.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#20 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 02:56 PM

Can someone explain to me why Mateo is starting tonight vs a righty and Urias, with his reverse splits, is sitting? Especially considering Ryu and Kikuchi are starting the next 2 nights.

Mateo is 1 for 1 in 2 PA vs Bassit.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=