HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

ESPN: Steve Spurrier to make $4 million

http://espn.go.com/c...ion-2018-season

Spurrier, who will start his 22nd season as a head coach in the SEC in 2014, will remain the conference's fifth-highest-paid coach, behind Alabama's Nick Saban ($5.4 million), Arkansas' Bret Bielema ($5.16 million), Tennessee's Butch Jones ($4.86 million) and LSU's Les Miles ($4.3 million).

Hard to believe he's only in the middle of the pack. Hard to believe if he coaches 3 more seasons at South Carolina, he will have coached there just as long as UF.

The agreement also calls for Spurrier, after he quits coaching, to serve as a special assistant to the university's president and athletic director.

I was thinking he'd want to go back to UF in some similar role. He's really raised the bar at South Carolina.

@levineps

#382 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Vandy candidates (Inside Vandy)

I think Chad Morris is the Gus Malzahn of this cycle, I see him holding out and not taking this job. Derek Mason makes a lot of sense, especially if Shaw is as true to Stanford as he says he is.

@levineps

#383 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Arkansas paying a lot of money for zero SEC wins. The Vols are paying a lot for a decent coach.

Malzahn is quite the bargain.

#384 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Arkansas paying a lot of money for zero SEC wins. The Vols are paying a lot for a decent coach.

Malzahn is quite the bargain.

It's only one year, but I do agree with you Auburn is looking pretty good right now.

@levineps

#385 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

It's only one year, but I do agree with you Auburn is looking pretty good right now.

Well, yeah... one year as the HC, but it's really two years. I think everyone knew he was easily the best part of the Chiz era. 

#386 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Well, yeah... one year as the HC, but it's really two years. I think everyone knew he was easily the best part of the Chiz era. 

It will be interesting to see if Auburn and Tennessee can get it together. Many at Colorado didn't think Butch Jones was "good enough," I know some at UT felt that way as well (but they are clearly a better program than us). Don't know too much about Malzahn other than what's out there in the mainstream, but I'm a fan of what I've seen. I doubt he'll be a Chizik. For one thing when you go 5-19 (isn't that what it was) at a second rate school, that should've been a huge red flag.

Not a great start for Bielma, but given his Wisconsin record, I wouldn't be awfully pessimistic.

Here's a funny picture of Butch Jones from his CU visit (http://www.dailycame...ncinnatis-butch)

20121203_095839_COACHCART_500.jpg

@levineps

#387 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

ESPN: Source: Vandy wants Derek Mason

http://espn.go.com/c...bilt-commodores

Mason, 44, met with Vanderbilt officials on Thursday and was scheduled to meet with them again Friday. He is known in the Pac-12 for excellence in defending spread offenses and also as a good recruiter with a likable personality -- two traits held by former Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, who left to become coach at Penn State.

@levineps

#388 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

CBS Sports: Report: Jim Grobe to interview with UAB Friday

http://www.cbssports...w-at-uab-friday

Other candidates in the mix for UAB , according to al.com, are Cincinnati offensive coordinator Eddie Gran, Bethune-Cookman head coach Brian Jenkins, Atlanta Falcons tight ends coach Chris Scelfo, and FCS Jackonsville State head coach Bill Clark.

Grobe is also 61, however, and in UAB would be taking on a challenge where coaching energy must make up for a number of program weaknesses: an outdated home venue in Legion Field, lackluster student and administrative support, recruiting in the wake of nine consecutive losing seasons. At this stage of his career, is Grobe up for a rebuilding project on this scale?

Looking at the other names on their list, if Grobe is truly ready to head to Birmingham only a month after leaving Wake, it's hard to think it wouldn't be in the Blazers' best interests to find out.

@levineps

#389 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

It will be interesting to see if Auburn and Tennessee can get it together. Many at Colorado didn't think Butch Jones was "good enough," I know some at UT felt that way as well (but they are clearly a better program than us). Don't know too much about Malzahn other than what's out there in the mainstream, but I'm a fan of what I've seen. I doubt he'll be a Chizik. For one thing when you go 5-19 (isn't that what it was) at a second rate school, that should've been a huge red flag.

Not a great start for Bielma, but given his Wisconsin record, I wouldn't be awfully pessimistic.

Here's a funny picture of Butch Jones from his CU visit (http://www.dailycame...ncinnatis-butch)

20121203_095839_COACHCART_500.jpg

Love Butch Jones. He was a great hire for UT. Once they get their QB situation figured out (they have two really good young kids, one in Dobbs who started towards the end of 2013) they'll be very good. Main problem for next season (other than deciding on a QB) is replacing every offensive lineman. They're fine at LG and probably C, but the rest of the line is going to be made up of very young and inexperienced players.

They've got a lot of great young WRs, and they're fine at RB as well. Defensive line is losing a lot of guys, but the defensive backfield will be great. Oh, and they have the #3 recruiting class (via Rivals) in the country right now. Butch Jones can freaking recruit.

@BSLZackKiesel

#390 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Love Butch Jones. He was a great hire for UT. Once they get their QB situation figured out (they have two really good young kids, one in Dobbs who started towards the end of 2013) they'll be very good. Main problem for next season (other than deciding on a QB) is replacing every offensive lineman. They're fine at LG and probably C, but the rest of the line is going to be made up of very young and inexperienced players.

They've got a lot of great young WRs, and they're fine at RB as well. Defensive line is losing a lot of guys, but the defensive backfield will be great. Oh, and they have the #3 recruiting class (via Rivals) in the country right now. Butch Jones can freaking recruit.

Cincy has been a great stepping stone for head coaches at recently with Dantonio/Brian Kelly, so you could probably do worse than him.

@levineps

#391 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

They've got a lot of great young WRs, and they're fine at RB as well. Defensive line is losing a lot of guys, but the defensive backfield will be great. Oh, and they have the #3 recruiting class (via Rivals) in the country right now. Butch Jones can freaking recruit.

How do they have 33 commits when the SEC imposed a 27 limit per class?

#392 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

Report: Jahvid Best joins Cal staff

What a shame that his career ended up the way it did.

#393 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Report: Jahvid Best joins Cal staff

What a shame that his career ended up the way it did.

I hope they hire Kevin Barnes as a secondary coach, just for the REALLY awkward meetings.

@DJ_McCann

#394 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

I hope they hire Kevin Barnes as a secondary coach, just for the REALLY awkward meetings.

Best will walk in and barf all over the whiteboard.

Seriously though, people point to that scary play against Oregon State when Best was upended in the end zone and landed on his head as where his troubles began. But I'm sure it was before that, on the hit from Barnes. That was brutal, and under today's rules Barnes certainly would have been penalized and maybe even ejected.

#395 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

ESPN: Source: UAB to hire Bill Clark

http://espn.go.com/c...ach-uab-blazers

Barring some unforeseen development such as the Browns hiring a college head coach, it looks like the carousel has stopped turning this year.

@levineps

#396 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

How do they have 33 commits when the SEC imposed a 27 limit per class?

That rule is more of a suggestion than anything else. They haven't seemed interested at all in actually enforcing it. Recruiting limits are very confusing. I'd assume that since UT only had 21 recruits in their last class that the SEC would let them slide.

@BSLZackKiesel

#397 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

That rule is more of a suggestion than anything else. They haven't seemed interested at all in actually enforcing it. Recruiting limits are very confusing. I'd assume that since UT only had 21 recruits in their last class that the SEC would let them slide.

I just hate the whole practice of oversigning, wish it wasn't allowed.

@levineps

#398 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,354 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

ESPN: Kentucky extends Mark Stoops

http://espn.go.com/c...ion-2018-season

Stoops, who now has five years remaining on his deal, also received a raise and will earn $2.5 million in 2017 and $2.65 million in 2018.

While the results haven't panned out on the field just yet, Stoops has really energized the Kentucky fan-base, and is a great recruiter. That Air Raid offense should be clicking a lot better this season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#399 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

@YahooForde Holy moly, the news keeps breaking today. June Jones steps down as coach at SMU.

Anyone else want to slip something in today?

@levineps

#400 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:33 PM

http://www.baltimore...ility/?p=354065

Damn, I love being right :D

@DJ_McCann