HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

WKYT Joker Phillips will not return as football coach next season

http://www.wkyt.com/...-177171451.html

Probably the 2nd toughest job in the SEC (football-wise) behind Vandy.
@levineps

#2 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

ESPN: UK football still has appeal (Insider)

http://insider.espn....its-playing-sec

The article mentions the names of Phillip Fulmer, David Cutcliffe, and Dana Halgorsen. I'm thinking none of those names will actually take over. Fulmer might be the most likely since he's probably desperate for any head coaching job at this point. One name mentioned which I think could happen is.

The author is a lot more optimistic about Kentucky than most are, using South Carolina and Mississippi as examples. I do think being in the SEC like the author of this article said the SEC could be used to their advantage since it's the premier conference.

ESPN: Change was needed for Barnhart and UK

http://espn.go.com/b...barnhart-and-uk
@levineps

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

ESPN: Bobby Petrino interested in Kentucky

http://espn.go.com/c...ccording-father

Beggars can't be choosers, any BCS job and maybe some other hc jobs, he'll jump at the chance.
@levineps

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

ESPN: Bobby Petrino interested in Kentucky

http://espn.go.com/c...ccording-father

Beggars can't be choosers, any BCS job and maybe some other hc jobs, he'll jump at the chance.

Yeah, I was coming in to say that what he's interested in is employment.

In six years he will have gone from the University of Louisville to the University of Kentucky. Even considering the conference that's still considered a demotion, right?

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

In six years he will have gone from the University of Louisville to the University of Kentucky. Even considering the conference that's still considered a demotion, right?

Should we call that The Reverse Pitino?

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Should we call that The Reverse Pitino?

That's one way of looking at it. I think Kentucky is a demotion for football, while the other way for basketball.
@levineps

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

With how highly ranked Arkansas was coming into this season, and how poorly they've performed, does this increase your opinion of Petrino's coaching abilities? I think it does for me, but would be interested in other's opinions. I think he'd do a good job at Kentucky.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

With how highly ranked Arkansas was coming into this season, and how poorly they've performed, does this increase your opinion of Petrino's coaching abilities? I think it does for me, but would be interested in other's opinions. I think he'd do a good job at Kentucky.

That's a really good and tough question. I would say yes, you have to assume they'd atleast be better, if not significantly. I think it's much more difficult to win at Kentucky, but if there's anyone who could do it, it's him. He'd need time though.
@levineps

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

ESPN: Vols' Derek Dooley won't be back

http://espn.go.com/c...-another-season
Well no surprise...
@levineps

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

ESPN: Candidates for the Tennessee job (Insider)

http://insider.espn....oaching-job-ncf
@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

ESPN: Jeff Tedford out at Cal

http://espn.go.com/c...son-source-says

Birds of Bmore called this one, no surprise here.
@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

ESPN: Ranking potential coaching openings (Insider)

http://insider.espn....n-offseason-ncf
Article speculates that another not-so-great season from Beamer and he's gone. I know loyalty is long dead, but if there's anyone who should get to go out on his own terms it's him. He's really built that program. And that's a great example on how these things take time. He probably wouldn't have lasted by today's standards.

Seeing Iowa in this category as well. Not too long ago, it seemed like Ferentz was a top candidate for an NFL HC gig.
@levineps

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

ESPN: Ranking potential coaching openings (Insider)

http://insider.espn....n-offseason-ncf
Article speculates that another not-so-great season from Beamer and he's gone. I know loyalty is long dead, but if there's anyone who should get to go out on his own terms it's him. He's really built that program. And that's a great example on how these things take time. He probably wouldn't have lasted by today's standards.

Seeing Iowa in this category as well. Not too long ago, it seemed like Ferentz was a top candidate for an NFL HC gig.

Virginia Tech won't do any better than him, and I think they'd be hard pressed to find someone who would even do as good as him. I'm sure they are terribly disappointed with this season, and that's fine. But running Beamer out of town for one bad year would be stupid IMO.

And although I couldn't read the whole article, I saw the beginning and it is pretty much a foregone conclusion out here that Chip Kelly will be in the NFL next season. And they will have a very difficult time replacing him with anyone decent due to pending NCAA sanctions.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

And although I couldn't read the whole article, I saw the beginning and it is pretty much a foregone conclusion out here that Chip Kelly will be in the NFL next season. And they will have a very difficult time replacing him with anyone decent due to pending NCAA sanctions.

Two words: Phil Knight!
@levineps

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Two words: Phil Knight!

The thing about Oregon is that they have to go out of state to get all of their best players. When you have to do that, your pipeline is usually tenuous and can easily be shut off when adversity hits. There are some exceptions for schools that are traditional powers, like Nebraska. But Oregon is no Nebraska. Phil Knight's fancy uniforms and facilities around campus won't look so fancy to a kid from LA when he also sees scholarship reductions that will hurt their competitiveness and no chance at a bowl game.....especially if he already has an offer from USC, UCLA, et al.

EDIT: and it only gets more difficult when you see what the weather around here has been like lately. :(

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

The thing about Oregon is that they have to go out of state to get all of their best players. When you have to do that, your pipeline is usually tenuous and can easily be shut off when adversity hits. There are some exceptions for schools that are traditional powers, like Nebraska. But Oregon is no Nebraska. Phil Knight's fancy uniforms and facilities around campus won't look so fancy to a kid from LA when he also sees scholarship reductions that will hurt their competitiveness and no chance at a bowl game.....especially if he already has an offer from USC, UCLA, et al.

EDIT: and it only gets more difficult when you see what the weather around here has been like lately. :(

Are you talking about how attractive the coaching job is OR how difficult it is to recurit? I'm talking about the former, you seem to be talking about the latter
@levineps

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Are you talking about how attractive the coaching job is OR how difficult it is to recurit? I'm talking about the former, you seem to be talking about the latter

The two are not mutually exclusive, IMO. Even with a fat paycheck a coach will still want to know he's going somewhere with a good shot at winning.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

The two are not mutually exclusive, IMO. Even with a fat paycheck a coach will still want to know he's going somewhere with a good shot at winning.

I agree the two aren't mutually exclusive, hence why I'm arguing this point. And I agree that money isn't the be-all, end-all, but Oregon will still have a leg up because of that. I don't think sanctions are as big in a detriment in the next coach as you do. And yes, I believe having Phil Knight and the Nike machine there is pretty big. If that went away, it wouldn't be as attractive. Neither would Oklahoma State without Boone Pickens.
@levineps

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I agree the two aren't mutually exclusive, hence why I'm arguing this point. And I agree that money isn't the be-all, end-all, but Oregon will still have a leg up because of that. I don't think sanctions are as big in a detriment in the next coach as you do. And yes, I believe having Phil Knight and the Nike machine there is pretty big. If that went away, it wouldn't be as attractive. Neither would Oklahoma State without Boone Pickens.

My point is that when you aren't in or close to a recruiting hotbed, or don't have a long history of excellence fall back on, it is much tougher to recruit (both good coaches and players) during and after sanctions. This will be a much bigger setback for Oregon than it was for USC and Ohio State, and will be for Miami. And I don't think Nike changes that much. Time will tell which of us is right.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

My point is that when you aren't in or close to a recruiting hotbed, or don't have a long history of excellence fall back on, it is much tougher to recruit (both good coaches and players) during and after sanctions. This will be a much bigger setback for Oregon than it was for USC and Ohio State, and will be for Miami. And I don't think Nike changes that much. Time will tell which of us is right.

Indeed it will, I think Oregon will do OK despite being only a recent power.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=