#61 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:39 AM

The league average slashline is .248/.320/.413, a .733 OPS and Gunnar is at .243/.331/.477 for an .808 OPS so his BA is a hair below-average, his OBP is slightly above-average and his slugging percentage is better by a pretty decent amount

• BobPhelan likes this

#62 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:44 AM

Fangraphs is actually pretty useful for this, they have AVG+ etc on the same scale as OPS+ where 100 is league average, 110 is 10% better than league average, etc

So Gunnar is 1% below league-average for AVG, 5% above league-average for OBP and 16% above league-average for SLG

Screen-Shot-2023-08-07-at-9-42-36-AM.png

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#63 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:46 AM

Since May 13 he’s hitting .272.

#64 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:50 AM

Since May 13 he’s hitting .272.

Not good enough. Ted Williams woulda hit .450 over that stretch
  • BobPhelan likes this

#65 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:52 AM

He's been solid since that horrible start and he's exceeded what I expected power wise.  Still, he needs to get that batting average over .250 and it's been a struggle.  He'll have a couple of good games and then go 0-9 the next two.  He just seems to hover between .240-.245.  I think he's a better hitter than that.  He needs to improve his rate of contact when he's behind in the count and give himself a chance at more hits.  I don't think a .245 hitter is deserving of any awards but I guess in today's baseball climate, it may come down to that. 

As many others have already said, batting average is considered by many to be a relatively outdated stat, and they're probably right.  The old-school guy in me though can't help but still look at it and I agree, there's something about that .250 mark that seems to be a delineator, rational or not.

Looking at OPS it's funny how he and Adley keep hovering right around that .800 mark.  Right when you think one of them is getting on a bit of a roll they fall back a bit, and vice versa.

All of that having been said, I think Gunnar is going to be an absolute monster over the next few years.  It's easy to forget he's still technically a rookie.

#66 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:54 AM

In your beloved 60s Ron Hansen won ROY with a .255 average. Curt Blefary won with a .260 average. Jim Lefebvre won with a .250. Earl Williams won with .260 in the 70s. A lot of guys were getting votes with < .250. 

If the 50s are better Bob Allison won with .261, Luis Aparicio .266.

Even Pete Rose and Willie Mays only hit .273 and .274 when they won. I’d take Gunnar’s line over Rose’s with a similar OBP and way higher SLG every single day.

Cal only hit .264 his rookie year when he won, then Ron Kittle and Darryl Strawberry won the next year at .254 and .257. Jose Canseco won with .240, Walt Weiss with .250. I didn’t go to the 90s or later.

Is .245 all that different from .260? 9 hits over the year if 600 ABs, or 1 every 3 weeks. The historical standard for ROY isn’t all that high, I don't think today's climate has anything to do with it. 

I didn't say it never happened in other eras but with today's game and the reduced importance of batting average, he may very well win it.  It's just my personal opinion that a .245 average isn't exactly indicative of a very good hitter.  But who knows, he may get hot down the stretch and get into the .260's.  Not great but better than today's average I would think.  I hope he wins it either way. 

#67 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 August 2023 - 09:26 AM

I didn't say it never happened in other eras but with today's game and the reduced importance of batting average, he may very well win it. It's just my personal opinion that a .245 average isn't exactly indicative of a very good hitter. But who knows, he may get hot down the stretch and get into the .260's. Not great but better than today's average I would think. I hope he wins it either way.

The post above showed .248 as the league average so yeah hitting in the .260’s would be well over league average.

But we can agree we hope he wins it!

#68 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 08:02 PM

Rays trail the Cardinals, 6-4, heading into the top of the ninth at the Trop. 

Cardinals defeat the Rays by the above score, so we can't lose ground tonight.

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:27 AM

Headed to Sea after this series. They are hot as a firecracker. 7 in a row. Toronto is 5-1 after we made them look lifeless

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:32 AM

Also still enough time left for a Bos or NY but it sure is looking like we are finding the seperating teams. 5 playoff spots for 6 teams.

AL East winner
AL West winner
3 WCs

Os
Rays
Jays
Rangers
Astros
Mariners

#71 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:54 AM

Also still enough time left for a Bos or NY but it sure is looking like we are finding the seperating teams. 5 playoff spots for 6 teams.

AL East winner
AL West winner
3 WCs

Os
Rays
Jays
Rangers
Astros
Mariners

I'm terrified of Seattle. TB, TEX, and HOU all feel like locks. Just have to stay ahead of either Mariners or Blue Jays to lock up a playoff spot, but that could easily come down to staying ahead of Toronto given how well Seattle has been playing. Also noteworthy that the Mariners have an incredibly easy remaining schedule with six games against Oakland and seven games against Kansas City. 

@LukeRollfinke

#72 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:41 AM

The O's need to win the division and preferably the first round bye. While its every teams best chance to win it all I think it extra important for the O's. The seem like they'll far better the shorter the postseason is with their BP issues.

#73 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:32 PM

Toronto lost today at Cleveland, 4-3. Hopefully the Cardinals can do us another solid tonight against Tampa.

#74 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:38 PM

Go Cards

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#75 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:31 PM

Go Cards

SP Matthew Liberatore (former Rays minor league SP traded to StL for Randy Arozarena (others were involved) back in 2020 - threw 8ip of two hit, shutout baseball.

Cards lead 5-0 in the 9th. 

#76 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:54 PM

SP Matthew Liberatore (former Rays minor league SP traded to StL for Randy Arozarena (others were involved) back in 2020 - threw 8ip of two hit, shutout baseball.

Cards lead 5-0 in the 9th. 

Lead back to 3. Excellent!

#77 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 08:04 PM

Lead back to 3. Excellent!

Cards hold on, 5-2. 

#78 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:26 AM

Of the top 6 AL East and West teams who will be fighting for the 5 playoff spots only Baltimore and Tor lost. All W's for Sea, Hou, Tex, and TB. NY and Bos also won. Not the best day

#79 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 August 2023 - 03:24 PM

In some NFL News....Falcons scored their 3rd touchdown to go up on the Jets 21-3.

Oh wait...that's Braves, Mets.... :eek:

• mdrunning likes this

#80 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:09 PM

The Rays beat the Guardians.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users