#561 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 September 2023 - 08:54 AM

Wasn’t his last start fairly pressured? Tampa had been gaining ground. The pen was in despair and we desperately needed length from him. And it’s not like the team only uses his last start of the year to determine his playoff status, so that same pressure likely applied these past several starts as well for him. But yeah, if he can step up and win us the division tonight and look solid doing it, it can’t hurt.

#562 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:06 AM

Tampa was attempting to one up the Orioles, maybe poke at them a bit.

A couple Sunday’s ago, when the O’s walked it off on their bitch asses, Tampa had actually clinched a playoff berth that day regardless, due to Texas having lost earlier that day. Cash didn’t let the team celebrate. It was only a WC, and Tampa is supposed to win the division - so IMO that was his message - we will celebrate when we get the division. He went with “we’re Tampa, we do things differently”. But that’s what he meant IMO.

Fast forward to last night - they beat Boston, but Baltimore wins and the magic number is down to 1. It’s a getaway day for them, just as that Sunday was when they lost to us. But now that they basically know the division isn’t happening, they celebrate their playoff berth, 10 days later.

Nice try Tampa. I find this cringe.

https://www.espn.com...ostseason-berth
  • Don Quixote, Steve55 and makoman like this

#563 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:24 AM

A couple Sunday’s ago, when the O’s walked it off on their bitch asses, Tampa had actually clinched a playoff berth that day regardless, due to Texas having lost earlier that day. Cash didn’t let the team celebrate. It was only a WC, and Tampa is supposed to win the division - so IMO that was his message - we will celebrate when we get the division. He went with “we’re Tampa, we do things differently”. But that’s what he meant IMO.

Fast forward to last night - they beat Boston, but Baltimore wins and the magic number is down to 1. It’s a getaway day for them, just as that Sunday was when they lost to us. But now that they basically know the division isn’t happening, they celebrate their playoff berth, 10 days later.

I can understand not wanting to celebrate when you are away, traveling, just blew multiple late leads, and were walked off. A lot of different things making it not feel like a day to do it. But I agree waiting 10 days is weird and cringey.

• Steve55 likes this

#564 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:44 AM

Ha ha, what a bunch of puds.

• Steve55 likes this

#565 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 10:27 AM

O's are 1 game ahead of the Dodgers. Be nice to finish ahead of them, just in case it matters for WS home field advantage.

I guess we’d pass the Braves if they lose out and we win out. Too bad we couldn’t have won that series.

#566 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 11:10 AM

I can understand not wanting to celebrate when you are away, traveling, just blew multiple late leads, and were walked off. A lot of different things making it not feel like a day to do it. But I agree waiting 10 days is weird and cringey.

Its pretty stupid to celebrate 10 days later. After the O's series they returned home and beat the Angels their next game. So last nights celebration seemed hollow with the magic number at 1. After beating the Red Sox did they walk over to their clubhouse and ask them to sweep the O's .?

#567 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 11:13 AM

Its pretty stupid to celebrate 10 days later. After the O's series they returned home and beat the Angels their next game. So last nights celebration seemed hollow with the magic number at 1. After beating the Red Sox did they walk over to their clubhouse and ask them to sweep the O's .?

Yeah should have just done it the next day at home. Even the next win if they wanted to celebrate on a good vibes day. But 10 days?

#568 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 29 September 2023 - 07:45 AM

c02_gilbert_b_12_29063685.jpg?w=1024&h=5

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#569 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 September 2023 - 08:47 AM

watch-game-of-thrones.gif

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#570 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,622 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 September 2023 - 08:55 AM

Now we can play the fun game of “AL watch to see who Tampa plays” as a possible ALDS opponent. I am all in on playing Seattle. I’d like to avoid Houston Tampa and Toronto if possible

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#571 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 09:34 PM

Houston's up 1-0 headed to the bottom of th e8th in AZ. If The Diamondbacks can win this game, and then both Seattle beats Texas and Arizona again beats Houston, then Houston is eliminated from the postseason.

The one team in the AL the O's do not want to face is the team who has no Fs to give (and that's Houston). 

#572 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 09:44 PM

Hou is making it. Arizona backed in. Gonna make the playoffs with 84 or 85 wins. Same with Miami. Joke

#573 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 09:45 PM

But its important that Tex wins the division. Make Hou go on the road and play a 3 game series vs a round off and homefield in the DS round

#574 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 06:37 AM

But its important that Tex wins the division. Make Hou go on the road and play a 3 game series vs a round off and homefield in the DS round

I would think you'd prefer to play Houston in their ballpark since they've been below average there all season. 

#575 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:08 AM

I would think you'd prefer to play Houston in their ballpark since they've been below average there all season.

No, Id rather they not have home field advantage. Though the more important part is making them play in the WC round instead of having the bye.

#576 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:01 AM

I keep looking for the possibilities. If Houston wins & Texas loses, they win the division based on better head to head. If Toronto loses and Houston wins the division then Texas is the 2nd wild card team.? 

If both Houston & Texas win and Toronto loses then Toronto is the 6th seed. Are any of these teams trying to play the Twins rather than the Rays.

#577 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:14 AM

I keep looking for the possibilities. If Houston wins & Texas loses, they win the division based on better head to head. If Toronto loses and Houston wins the division then Texas is the 2nd wild card team.? 

If both Houston & Texas win and Toronto loses then Toronto is the 6th seed. Are any of these teams trying to play the Twins rather than the Rays.

I think Tex and Hou are going all out to try and win the division. Its obviously a huge advantage to rest a round and have home field in the DS vs going on the road to play a WC game Tues. Tor will only be concerned with setting things up for Tues whether its TB or Minn. 

#578 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:15 AM

Aren't the series already locked in? TB VS Tor and Houston VS Minnesota?

#579 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 08:17 AM

Aren't the series already locked in? TB VS Tor and Houston VS Minnesota?

No. Hou can still win the west. And seedin TBD with TOR, HOU and TEX depending on that. We are the 1, MIN the 3 and TB the 4.

#580 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:45 PM

It's looking like the Rays against Houston or Texas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=