BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:50 PM

Giants beat BoSox in 11

Btw Steve enjoyed the DCU game last night. They lost 3-0 but the atmosphere there is crazy. The Mexican fans never run out of energy.

Nice. Of course I love soccer. But I always tell people not deep into the sport to go watch it in person. Crazy how fun it is.

• BobPhelan likes this

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 August 2023 - 02:11 PM

Wrong league, but the Braves are insane.
  • dude likes this

#43 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:13 AM

The red-hot Royals, winners of seven in a row, have pulled to within 25 games of the wildcard.

• You Play to Win the Game and BaltBird 24 like this

#44 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 August 2023 - 09:07 AM

<<looks ahead, doesn't see any teams in front of us...moves on>>

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 August 2023 - 09:17 AM

Doesn’t mean you don’t keep an eye out for who is on your 6.

#46 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 August 2023 - 02:58 PM

Tigers over the Ray's 4-2.

#47 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

Good look Detroit!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#48 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:16 PM

Anybody catch the Tim Anderson-Jose Ramirez bout on Saturday? 

The Guardians are 3 1/2 games behind the Twins with their loss to the White Sox, but they do have a TKO to their credit now.

#49 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 07:14 AM

Don't look now but the Orioles are starting to get some breathing room in the East. 

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 07:17 AM

The Guardians are 3 1/2 games behind the Twins with their loss to the White Sox, but they do have a TKO to their credit now.

Couldnt have happened to a bigger ass in Anderson. Ramirez fan forever.

#51 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 07:47 AM

Couldnt have happened to a bigger ass in Anderson. Ramirez fan forever.

Wasn't much of a punch.  Anderson must have a glass jaw. 

#52 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 August 2023 - 10:50 PM

Can we watch the RoY voting here?  Josh Jung just broke his thumb and could miss the rest of the regular season (depending on severity)

Should cleanly push Gunnar into top 2 and an extra draft pick next year. Plus they have a CompA so 3 of first ~38.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 August 2023 - 10:56 PM

Not quite as satisfying as Rougned Odor, but close.

#54 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 11:01 PM

Can we watch the RoY voting here?  Josh Jung just broke his thumb and could miss the rest of the regular season (depending on severity)

Should cleanly push Gunnar into top 2 and an extra draft pick next year. Plus they have a CompA so 3 of first ~38.

Gunnar has a 3.5 WAR vs Jung's 2.4 WAR. I get the #s are comparable, but it really should've been Gunnar's award anyway.

If Brown goes nuts with a half dozen QS to help overtake Texas to win the ALW - you could see some dumb votes, but this should be Gunnar's aweard. 

• dude likes this

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 11:03 PM

Yoshida is gonna get a lot of love

#56 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 11:12 PM

Yoshida is gonna get a lot of love

He'll get votes. But it's time for Gunnar to take it to the next level.

It's right freakin there. 

#57 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:20 AM

He'll get votes. But it's time for Gunnar to take it to the next level.

It's right freakin there. 

He's been solid since that horrible start and he's exceeded what I expected power wise.  Still, he needs to get that batting average over .250 and it's been a struggle.  He'll have a couple of good games and then go 0-9 the next two.  He just seems to hover between .240-.245.  I think he's a better hitter than that.  He needs to improve his rate of contact when he's behind in the count and give himself a chance at more hits.  I don't think a .245 hitter is deserving of any awards but I guess in today's baseball climate, it may come down to that. 

#58 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:17 AM

I don't think a .245 hitter is deserving of any awards but I guess in today's baseball climate, it may come down to that. 

In your beloved 60s Ron Hansen won ROY with a .255 average. Curt Blefary won with a .260 average. Jim Lefebvre won with a .250. Earl Williams won with .260 in the 70s. A lot of guys were getting votes with < .250. 

If the 50s are better Bob Allison won with .261, Luis Aparicio .266.

Even Pete Rose and Willie Mays only hit .273 and .274 when they won. I’d take Gunnar’s line over Rose’s with a similar OBP and way higher SLG every single day.

Cal only hit .264 his rookie year when he won, then Ron Kittle and Darryl Strawberry won the next year at .254 and .257. Jose Canseco won with .240, Walt Weiss with .250. I didn’t go to the 90s or later.

Is .245 all that different from .260? 9 hits over the year if 600 ABs, or 1 every 3 weeks. The historical standard for ROY isn’t all that high, I don't think today's climate has anything to do with it. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:29 AM

In your beloved 60s Ron Hansen won ROY with a .255 average. Curt Blefary won with a .260 average. Jim Lefebvre won with a .250. Earl Williams won with .260 in the 70s. A lot of guys were getting votes with < .250.

If the 50s are better Bob Allison won with .261, Luis Aparicio .266.

Even Pete Rose and Willie Mays only hit .273 and .274 when they won. I’d take Gunnar’s line over Rose’s with a similar OBP and way higher SLG every single day.

Cal only hit .264 his rookie year when he won, then Ron Kittle and Darryl Strawberry won the next year at .254 and .257. Jose Canseco won with .240, Walt Weiss with .250. I didn’t go to the 90s or later.

Is .245 all that different from .260? 9 hits over the year if 600 ABs, or 1 every 3 weeks. The historical standard for ROY isn’t all that high, I don't think today's climate has anything to do with it.

MakGif!!!

#60 BSLLukeRollfinke

BSLLukeRollfinke

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 08:33 AM

He's been solid since that horrible start and he's exceeded what I expected power wise.  Still, he needs to get that batting average over .250 and it's been a struggle.  He'll have a couple of good games and then go 0-9 the next two.  He just seems to hover between .240-.245.  I think he's a better hitter than that.  He needs to improve his rate of contact when he's behind in the count and give himself a chance at more hits.  I don't think a .245 hitter is deserving of any awards but I guess in today's baseball climate, it may come down to that. 

In today's day and age batting average factors very little into voting decisions. It's just not a good measure of what a hitter is able to do. OBP, SLG, OPS, WRC+, WAR and countless other metrics do a much job of breaking down the impact a player has a game than simply counting the number of hits they get and dividing it by the number of at-bats. There's a reason Gunnar bats in the top third of every lineup despite having a lower average than half the team.

@LukeRollfinke

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=