155 replies to this topic

#121 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:12 PM

It most certainly is not nonsense. The point being: you get Judge out by making him chase. His middle-zone average is almost .600 for crying out loud.

What do you think his average is on meatball hangers right down the middle?

There is no possible way any pitch wouldn't be an improvement over what was thrown. Throw the fastball and you've got a much better shot. That's how we got to 0-2 anyways.

#122 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:12 PM

Yankees just have our number.

#123 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:13 PM

Manufactured run.

And they pitched to Judge in the 9th. 

Stupid. 

#124 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:14 PM

What a terrible loss.

That's the kind of game that teams who are almost good enough lose. They need to be far better than that.

#125 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:14 PM

There is no possible way any pitch wouldn't be an improvement over what was thrown. Throw the fastball and you've got a much better shot. That's how we got to 0-2 anyways.

The only way it begins to make sense to try to beat Judge with heat is if they *had to* pitch to him. 

They didn't. 

#126 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:17 PM

Find a way to beat Cortes tomorrow.

#127 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:22 PM

That splitter was a terrible pitch. Palmer called it before it happened. I would have taken my chances with the 100 mph fastball.

#128 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:24 PM

That splitter was a terrible pitch. Palmer called it before it happened. I would have taken my chances with the 100 mph fastball.

His splitter (obv) has a tendency to hang, but why throw Judge a fastball (across the plate) at all, given the situation?

It doesn't make sense. 

#129 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:25 PM

I mean, it was a freakin pitcher's count pitch. HORRIBLE. 

#130 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:33 PM

Absolutely no reason or excuse to let him do that in that situation. 

put him on base, throw him junk the rest of the count. Make him chase something in the dirt. Instead we got Hanging slop over the plate that was hit to Albany. What a joke. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#131 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:36 PM

Absolutely no reason or excuse to let him do that in that situation. 

put him on base, throw him junk the rest of the count. Make him chase. Hanging slop over the plate. What a joke. 

I'm still fuming. It was an 0-2 count. Stop with the hubris and make him chase! I'm curious if he shook off Adley. Cuz you don't throw an 0-2 splitter (that you sometimes hang) to the most dangerous power hitter on the planet. I mean, generally speaking it's a bad idea, but when you're up one run in the 9th inning with the bases empty? Yeah, stoopid. Reckless. 

#132 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:39 PM

What a terrible loss.

That's the kind of game that teams who are almost good enough lose. They need to be far better than that.

Only thing that helps is that they won a couple of the inverse over the weekend.

Very tough loss. Left Bradish in a little too long and Bautista threw one bad pitch to the wrong guy.

#133 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:45 PM

That stung for sure. Lot of good tonight though. Still, 4-0 and hang 5 on Cole at Yankee Stadium - that really sucked to give this one away.

#134 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 24 May 2023 - 05:39 AM

Disappointing Loss.
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#135 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 06:37 AM

That was one of those losses that are a kick right in the family jewels.  Going to hurt for awhile and it's common to come out the next game and be very flat and get beat badly but hopefully, that won't happen.  I've been reading a lot of posts about the last pitch to Judge but I seriously doubt the intent was to hang one over the plate.  I'm fairly certain Adley and Bautista wanted to make Judge chase a pitch out of the strike zone with the count 0-2.  It was just a bad pitch at the worst, possible time.  IMO, I blame the loss on Bradish.  He blew a 4-0 lead, could only go 5 innings and threw a ton of pitches.  The offense gave him more than enough support against Cole and he couldn't hold it.  

#136 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 06:57 AM

I don’t care if it’s 20-0 no lead ever feels safe in that stadium. Up 4-0 I kept thinking about how we’d lose the game. I thought I was over that state of mind...nope. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#137 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470a1da46s2rkzy63msv

• You Play to Win the Game and NewMarketSean like this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#138 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:34 AM

It turned out fine but I still question Hyde turning to Cano in the 7th when Givens threw 9 pitches in the 6th. Cano is likely out tonight. Givens could have started the 7th with Cano available if needed. I hate burning up another arm when the previous pitcher sails through an inning.

• DuffMan likes this

#139 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:40 AM

Cano might be available tonight. Will def be tomorrow if he doesnt throw tonight. No problem with how he managed the pen yesterday and its known I think he isnt a good BP manager. Got to the closer clean and the closer was 2 outs from getting the win. Yesterday was a tip of the cap game for the most part. Yankees are hot too. They were always gonna keep coming and fight for every last out.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#140 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:54 AM

It turned out fine but I still question Hyde turning to Cano in the 7th when Givens threw 9 pitches in the 6th. Cano is likely out tonight. Givens could have started the 7th with Cano available if needed. I hate burning up another arm when the previous pitcher sails through an inning.

I am with you. Givens looked really solid and had an easy 9 pitch inning. Not sure in the end it would have made a difference last night. BUT it might make a difference tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=