#81 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:30 PM

Nobody questions that there can be an adjustment period from AAA to the majors. We get it. But what I struggle with is the #1 rated player in all of minor league baseball shouldn't struggle to "adjust" this much.

Texas - Solid start

Oakland - Trash

Chicago - Poor

Detroit - Excellent

Detroit - Excellent

KC - Trash

LAA - Trash

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:31 PM

Get into their bullpen! Ohtani looks human tonight (on the mound)

He is human on the mound. Its what makes giving up 9 through 5 much harder to take.

#83 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:33 PM

They should let Grayson pitch to Gunnar and sell tickets only to blind people

Now THAT was funny! (LOL)

#84 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:34 PM

Nobody questions that there can be an adjustment period from AAA to the majors. We get it. But what I struggle with is the #1 rated player in all of minor league baseball shouldn't struggle to "adjust" this much.

Texas - Solid start
Oakland - Trash
Chicago - Poor
Detroit - Excellent
Detroit - Excellent
KC - Trash
LAA - Trash

Just not true. Top end prospects often struggle for extended periods breaking into the show. I mean he had a sub 5 ERA entering today so again, not ideal, but he wasnt getting rocked either. Quite typical of an adjustment period for a rookie.

#85 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:34 PM

If you had told me the Orioles were going to score 5 runs tonight, I would have been ecstatic. Damn shame.

#86 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:38 PM

While we're at it... is it too much to ask for Gunnar to string together a few multi hit games? Kid has been able to get 2 hits in a total of 4 games so far.

#87 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:39 PM

So what is it called when you single, double, triple, homer AND walk in the same game? Besides a total ass-kicking, of course.

I think it's been called a super-cycle? Not sure.

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:43 PM

Texas - Solid start
Oakland - Trash
Chicago - Poor
Detroit - Excellent
Detroit - Excellent
KC - Trash
LAA - Trash

He was never #1 overall, top-10 in most publications.

I think if you look for past top-20 SP, you'll see a lot that struggle early on. Others are really good from the beginning.

I just picked 2017 as a random place to look. Alex Reyes #6, Tyler Glasnow #9, Lucas Giolito #12, Michael Kopech #16.

Reyes good from the start though not for a few years because of injuries. Glasnow bad start. Giolito terrible at the beginning. Kopech missed 3 years for injuries, then relieved, then good last season at 26.

No promises with pitchers.

#89 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:47 PM

Wasn't he the #1 rated pitcher? And he is beyond struggling to me.

#90 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:48 PM

He was never #1 overall, top-10 in most publications.

I think if you look for past top-20 SP, you'll see a lot that struggle early on. Others are really good from the beginning.

I just picked 2017 as a random place to look. Alex Reyes #6, Tyler Glasnow #9, Lucas Giolito #12, Michael Kopech #16.

Reyes good from the start though not for a few years because of injuries. Glasnow bad start. Giolito terrible at the beginning. Kopech missed 3 years for injuries, then relieved, then good last season at 26.

No promises with pitchers.

It's a good thing Elias has basically ignored pitching in the draft and is relying on top quality FA starting pitching like Jordan Lyles and Kyle Gibson.

#91 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:50 PM

It's a good thing Elias has basically ignored pitching in the draft and is relying on top quality FA starting pitching like Jordan Lyles and Kyle Gibson.

Hey now don't forget the big Cole Irvin trade. When's his next O's start, btw?

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#92 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:51 PM

Yes, but not overall #1. The top rated pitcher could be a legit stud like Rodriguez or could be a tier or two down, just depends on the class. Generally seems like there are fewer pitching prospects at the top, largely because of their inherent higher volatility.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

Yes, but not overall #1. The top rated pitcher could be a legit stud like Rodriguez or could be a tier or two down, just depends on the class. Generally seems like there are fewer pitching prospects at the top, largely because of their inherent higher volatility.

I believe in Rodriguez as a prospect, but even a top stud pitcher comes with lots of risk. I think a good bit more than a similarly rated hitter.

#94 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:59 PM

Hey now don't forget the big Cole Irvin trade. When's his next O's start, btw?

He could still come up and be one of the better SP by seasons end. For some reason the O's had a very quick hook with him.

Hell, they gave Spenser Watkins and Bruce Zimmermann 33 combined starts last year.

#95 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:00 PM

I believe in Rodriguez as a prospect, but even a top stud pitcher comes with lots of risk. I think a good bit more than a similarly rated hitter.

For sure.

#96 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:11 PM

He could still come up and be one of the better SP by seasons end. For some reason the O's had a very quick hook with him.

Hell, they gave Spenser Watkins and Bruce Zimmermann 33 combined starts last year.

Eh, he was pretty awful in his 3 starts. GR has at least mixed in a couple really good ones. Doesn't sound like it was pretty for Irvin in Norfolk his first couple times either, but seems to have done will his last 2-3 starts.

#97 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:11 PM

Another suck player

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#98 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:16 PM

My lord hes gonna use 5 pitchers to cover 5.2 low leverage innings. The mans poor BP management knows no depths
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#99 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:27 PM

Loser SP cost us. Get em tomorrow

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#100 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:49 PM

This is actually an argument for the strategy they’re taking. Grow the bats, acquire the arms after they’ve made their adjustments. We’ll just see if and how they use their bullets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=