Why Pinto?

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:15 PM

You're dead to me for trying to trade Pinto and Ortiz. Who's next, Bencosme???

I mean its Ortiz for a minor league C who is in A ball and Pinto and numerous others for 80 yr old Charlie Blackmon. If youre gonna trade them get something useful.

I mean I was gonna take the high road and just ignore the OP proposals but since we are here.

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:18 PM

Why Pinto?

I also agree with this btw if youre asking why the Pinto love. Im assuming you are. Phelan has always had a bit of an irrational crush on him.

#24 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:25 PM

Why Pinto?

I've loved him since 2021 but before today he was 6th in all of the minors in swinging strike percentage at 19.2%, pitched today and had 26.5% to go along with four innings of one run ball and 8 strikeouts. 49 Ks in 30.1 innings, 12 walks. Groundball pitcher as well. Should be in AA already but I just really love his stuff.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:27 PM

Repeating A+. Doesnt throw hard. Got a ways to go and realistically is a RP prospect. I get some of the intrigue but to me hes a guy you dont think about at this point. Has also been pointed out he is R5 eligible after the year. Still a wats to go this season but just a guy whos not likely to make the 40 man cut right now

#26 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:31 PM

He'll make the 40, I'd bet on it. For sure more of a multi-inning reliever at this point which is why he's dropped in our rankings but I really believe in him as a major leaguer.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:34 PM

I dont know exactly whos on the 40 and who will be 40 man eligible but I just disagree as it stands today. AA RP prospects have to be very intriguing to make a R5 cut

#28 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:38 PM

I dont know exactly whos on the 40 and who will be 40 man eligible but I just disagree as it stands today. AA RP prospects have to be very intriguing to make a R5 cut

Like Logan Gillaspie and Noah Denoyer?

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 04:57 PM

Like Logan Gillaspie and Noah Denoyer?

Things will continue to get tougher with more legit talent needed to be protected. Btw those two are two of the more likely to be removed if needed at the end of the year. Might in fact come down to something like a Denoyer or Pinto decision.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 May 2023 - 05:23 PM

Giolito is a good target that yes will cost you but not a crazy amount.

I don't know what you think is a crazy amount.  If you want him now (mid-May), it's probably something like Bradish, Povich, Norby and Beavers.  They'll start higher and let you back a player to that.

I wouldn't do that.  That's the type of package we should wait for Bieber (see where CLE heads) or get Woodruff later.

If you want Lynn or Clevenger, that's more modest like Kremer and Benscome (!!!) and you split the remaining money.  

Unless we think there's a fix for either to exploit, I wouldn't do that either.  

People can want anyone they want, but if they aren't available, then who cares what you want.  Just because you have prospects doesn't mean you can trade unless you go stupidly over-board and nobody is going for that.

Everything is :"Cost of Availability".

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2023 - 05:27 PM

Giolito is a free agent at the end of the year right? No way it takes that much to get him. Probably not even half of that.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 05:41 PM

Giolito is a free agent at the end of the year right? No way it takes that much to get him. Probably not even half of that.

Yeah dude doesnt understand the value of Giolito or the prospects he is trading away. Would it cost more to get him sooner? Im not even sure about that. Chi will prob wait and take best bids in July.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:05 PM

Things will continue to get tougher with more legit talent needed to be protected. Btw those two are two of the more likely to be removed if needed at the end of the year. Might in fact come down to something like a Denoyer or Pinto decision.

So since I posted the last sentence. Hypothetically if it did come down to removing Denoyer from the 40 man for Pinto are you doing it?

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

HOF

• Moderators
  • 14,468 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:19 PM

So since I posted the last sentence. Hypothetically if it did come down to removing Denoyer from the 40 man for Pinto are you doing it?

Tough call, I’d have to see where each of them are after the season. But I don’t think it would come to that.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:32 PM

Ha. Nice dance around. We will see. A lot of baseball to be played to figure things out. Pinto will need to have a great year all year. So yeah get him to AA and lets see what happens. If he continues to pitch with the same success there and maybe even makes it to AAA by Sept he will have a chance. Any stalling out like he did in '22 is going to be the end of his 40 man chances before the R5

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:34 PM

3432010e-270d-47cb-9be3-87d84fb75788_tex

• PeteCanes likes this

#37 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:58 PM

We can discuss as much as anyone likes, not intended to badger.  

I don't think they'd even do it for that.  Giolito (depending on some other teams status) will be the best combination of performance, age and $$ on the market.  I don't really care because I wouldn't extend to get him, but that will be their perception.  

They aren't using the Bob Phelan perspective of the package.  They are evaluating a team that has a lot of stuff and taking a tier that doesn't have a negative consequence because that's what they can do.  You can love Norby, but he's a .710 OPS at AAA right now.  Beavers is a 2nd round pick from last year and 7th on the OF depth chart (including MLs).  Bradish has an ERA+ of 80 (last year) and 96 this year.

What they get eventually is irrelevant to the discussion because they'll orient on what they THINK they can get later to move in May and give you an extra 2 months.  Whether we agree with them or not doesn't matter, you have to satisfy them.  

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 07:04 PM

Rofl. In the alternate universe where dude is the Os GM I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall just to listen to the conversations he has with other GMs.

#39 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 07:15 PM

I mean, you'd have to blow them out of the water with an offer to even get them to answer a May phone call. That much is obvious. 

#40 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 14 May 2023 - 07:18 PM

I mean its Ortiz for a minor league C who is in A ball ....

Bob, if you can put the Ortiz love aside, do you  agree with 2035s assessment.

What role does Ortiz ever play on the Orioles?  Rushing could be an amazing pairing with Adley in a couple years, no?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=