#61 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

As I said when he was drafted, give me Kyrie over Wall.

My son and I just had the same debate.
Kyrie can do everything Wall can do and also shoot. Wall is a good player but in order to be a great player you have to be able to shoot.
The Wizards tonight looked like a collection of spare parts.
@mikeghg

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,389 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

My son and I just had the same debate.
Kyrie can do everything Wall can do and also shoot. Wall is a good player but in order to be a great player you have to be able to shoot.
The Wizards tonight looked like a collection of spare parts.

Two of the stars in the Heat-Celtics game have shown that there are exceptions to that rule.

#63 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Two of the stars in the Heat-Celtics game have shown that there are exceptions to that rule.

Exactly. I'd consider Rondo to be one heck of a point guard, and he doesn't really shoot that much. There's also the defensive stalwarts like Dennis Rodman, but generally, if you're a guard, you either:

A.) Have to be able to shoot OR
B.) Be able to pass and set up plays

Rarely do you find someone who can do both.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,389 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Exactly. I'd consider Rondo to be one heck of a point guard, and he doesn't really shoot that much. There's also the defensive stalwarts like Dennis Rodman, but generally, if you're a guard, you either:

A.) Have to be able to shoot OR
B.) Be able to pass and set up plays

Rarely do you find someone who can do both.

Being able to get to the basket and finish or pass effectively is very important for guards who can't shoot well.

Rondo, Wade, Westbrook, and Rose are examples. All of those guys have improved their shooting to some degree, so I may be talking more about earlier versions of them, but all of their strengths are clearly driving to the basket.

#65 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Only got to see the last few minutes of the Wizards game, but sounds like I didn't miss much.

Unfortunately, the team is going to struggle to score the basketball all season, especially if Beal performs as he did last night and did much of the preseason. Things will get better when Wall returns, but the team just doesn't have shooters.

Hopefully Nene and Seraphin return soon, as well.

@AdamWolff

#66 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Rondo does find ways to score, and is a force defensively. There have been exceptions but if you are going to be a Great player, I think you have to be able to score.
Wall is not a great assist guy yet either, but that could be because of the crap he plays with.
@mikeghg

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,389 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Rondo does find ways to score, and is a force defensively. There have been exceptions but if you are going to be a Great player, I think you have to be able to score.
Wall is not a great assist guy yet either, but that could be because of the crap he plays with.

Wall averaged over 4 more points per game than did Rondo last year. Rondo isn't that strong of an on ball defender either. He's the 3rd best defensive guard on his own team, but the other two are quite good.

8 assists a game is solid considering who he played with.

It will be interesting to see what he does once he returns since he'll have some better and more professional players sharing the court with him.

#68 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

My original point was Kyrie is a better player than Wall, and that in order to be able to be a great player you have to score. You pointed to Ronda as a great player and I would lean toward agreeing. I stick to my premise that in order to be great you have to be able to score. I guess it is definition, and to be fair, I think Wall is a good player but I am not sure he can take the next step because he does not have an outside shot. I think Irving has the better chance to get to that next level.
Keep in mind, I just watched Irving play against the likes of AJ Price and Pargo, neither of who are even average, but the kid is good.
@mikeghg

#69 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

If you watched the Wizards/Bobcats game tonight, I feel as bad for you as I feel for myself. I literally have a headache.

Some of the worst basketball I've ever seen two teams at the same time. One of the Wiz most embarassing losses in awhile and even in victory, the Bobcats were nothing short of very bad.

@AdamWolff

#70 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

If you watched the Wizards/Bobcats game tonight, I feel as bad for you as I feel for myself. I literally have a headache.

Some of the worst basketball I've ever seen two teams at the same time. One of the Wiz most embarassing losses in awhile and even in victory, the Bobcats were nothing short of very bad.

That should have been the early game in a doubleheader with Maryland-Duke or Georgetown-UNC.

#71 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

I keep telling myself that once we get healthy things will change.

That's all I've got at this point.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#72 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

I keep telling myself that once we get healthy things will change.

That's all I've got at this point.

That's funny, I told myself when they get a better GM and start over maybe I'll start paying attention. If Beal doesn't end up being a GREAT player, it's not looking good.
@JeremyMStrain

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

That's funny, I told myself when they get a better GM and start over maybe I'll start paying attention. If Beal doesn't end up being a GREAT player, it's not looking good.

I am to the point where I can not even watch their games anymore. I tuned in for about 10 minutes last night and gave up quickly to watch CBB. Even with Wall and Nene (who I think maybe a lost cause) they are mediocre at best.) I am amazed Ernie Grunfield still has a job. So many misses. Veseley is not a basketball player, another one of Ernie's athletes who looks good running and jumping and can not play a lick. The other thing Ernie is really good at is acquiring other teams injured players and hoping that one of them actually stays on the court. No one acquires more guys who sit it suit coats then Ernie.
He makes bad trades and misses on a lot of draft picks. Yet he is still there. Losers lose and that is the Wizards.
@mikeghg

#74 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I am to the point where I can not even watch their games anymore. I tuned in for about 10 minutes last night and gave up quickly to watch CBB. Even with Wall and Nene (who I think maybe a lost cause) they are mediocre at best.) I am amazed Ernie Grunfield still has a job. So many misses. Veseley is not a basketball player, another one of Ernie's athletes who looks good running and jumping and can not play a lick. The other thing Ernie is really good at is acquiring other teams injured players and hoping that one of them actually stays on the court. No one acquires more guys who sit it suit coats then Ernie.
He makes bad trades and misses on a lot of draft picks. Yet he is still there. Losers lose and that is the Wizards.

Yeah I was amazed Leonsis kept him around. I think a new GM and new coach will come this season, and an overhaul will be done again...
@JeremyMStrain

#75 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yeah I was amazed Leonsis kept him around. I think a new GM and new coach will come this season, and an overhaul will be done again...

One can only hope. The clock is ticking on them.
@mikeghg

#76 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ernie really is awful. I share your amazement that he still has a job. He needs to go. He's made so many poor decisions, yet somehow..still employed.

Another horrible shooting night for Beal. I really hope that it's a product of literally being the only perimeter scoring on this team and feeling like he has to do too much, but it's concerning that he's been mostly bad so far. I'll wait to reserve judgement until Wall is back, but the first 7 games have went about as poorly as they could.

They're just a really, really poorly run team.

@AdamWolff

#77 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hell, this team would probably be better off with Caron, Antawn, Gil, and Heywood still manning the starting lineup.

@AdamWolff

#78 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Was just looking at Grunfelds career draft history. TERRIBLE.
@JeremyMStrain

#79 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Serious question:

Could any current Wizards starter start for any other team?

Besides the Mystics, of course.
@beginthebegin71

#80 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Serious question:

Could any current Wizards starter start for any other team?

Besides the Mystics, of course.

That's a good question.

I'd say their current starting 5 would all be best suited coming off the bench. In the right situation Beal would be okay to start and maybe Ariza, if he's on a team where he's not asked to do much offensively.

Their roster is just a joke. Things had better improve once John and Nene are back, but even if they do, so what? It doesn't change the fact that at very best, they're an average team. That's absolute best case scenario. It infuriates me that Leonsis has kept Grunfeld around.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=