1094 replies to this topic

#1061 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:42 AM

The Swift thing is kind of human nature I think.  A large percentage of football fans love the game.  So they see the extra-curricular type stuff as a distraction from the "seriousness" of the game.  It's like the infiltration of a bunch of people who "don't know", or "don't understand", or "don't appreciate" the game.  That's what the mindset is when the broadcast cuts to her.  Hockey purists HATED the glowing puck thing when Fox (?) tried that for a while.  Taylor Swift is sort of a glowing puck addition to the broadcast, that a lot of people who like / love the GAME see more as some schmuck in NY who doesn't give one tiny crap about the game yelling at the production team to get more Taylor shots so the extra 2 million teens watching don't tune out.

Sorta like kids with their musical tastes... they want to champion how great it is, while also shunning anyone who might listen but doesn't look a certain way, and then complain that their music doesn't get the respect it deserves.  :)

For the record, it bugs me that they feel the need to show her reaction specifically to things.  As somewhat of a baseball "purist", I hate the HR or nothing nature of the game now, and the over the top HR celebrations that come with it.  Hate it.  Human nature... ;)

So the glowing puck is gone, but ABC does this thing during power plays now where whoever has the puck it shows their name next to them like a video game.  Considering all the passing that occurs, it gets really annoying and distracting.

• Mike in STL likes this

#1062 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:44 AM

So the glowing puck is gone, but ABC does this thing during power plays now where whoever has the puck it shows their name next to them like a video game.  Considering all the passing that occurs, it gets really annoying and distracting.

Yes!!!!!

Irritates me to no end!  :)

#1063 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:59 AM

In the least shocking news on a Monday morning during the football season, the SF HC is being questioned by all the armchair QBs

#1064 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:11 AM

In the least shocking news on a Monday morning during the football season, the SF HC is being questioned by all the armchair QBs

For what, not going for TD on 4th and 4?  I'd have kicked that.  Defense has to be able to prevent a TD.  I know it's Mahomes and everything, but he's not going to score a TD on every drive.  Though he made a similar choice to go for it earlier in the game and it worked for them.  Might've won the game if the kicker doesn't botch the XP (though KC would've had one shot to the end zone at the end to win, plus plenty of other ways the permutations could've changed).

#1065 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:26 AM

For what, not going for TD on 4th and 4? I'd have kicked that. Defense has to be able to prevent a TD. I know it's Mahomes and everything, but he's not going to score a TD on every drive. Though he made a similar choice to go for it earlier in the game and it worked for them. Might've won the game if the kicker doesn't botch the XP (though KC would've had one shot to the end zone at the end to win, plus plenty of other ways the permutations could've changed).

All of it. Know it all Orlovsky said he would have went 4th and 4. But I agree with you. The biggest thing is taking the ball 1st in OT. The thought being the team who gets the ball second gets 4th downs if the first team scores. Reid says they would have defered had they won the toss and went for 2 if SF had scored a TD in OT.

But IMO its really close. If you match FGs or stops you get the 3rd possesion.

#1066 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:36 AM

KCs offense does short hit/pick passes, and SF can't stop it and Mahomes just knows when to run.  That's where Lamar needs to improve.

They run those screen/picks to perfection and Kelce is so good at it.  But Mahomes just knows how to play at the highest level. 

Back to back; Reid is a HOF HC. 

#1067 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:37 AM

KCs offense does short hit/pick passes, and SF can't stop it and Mahomes just knows when to run. That's where Lamar needs to improve.
They run those screen/picks to perfection and Kelce is so good at it. But Mahomes just knows how to play at the highest level.
Back to back; Reid is a HOF HC.

He doesnt take negative plays. He gets the ball out. Thats what Brady always did. Its just amazing game management.

Though he did make some mistakes last night. SF really missed a chance tbh. But you let that team hang around and Mahomes is gonna dagger you pretty much every time
  • SonicAttack likes this

#1068 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:39 AM

Good game.  Wanted SF to win but really don't care either way. I placed two bets on KC and hit both so there's that.

This catapults Mahomes into top 3 QB of all time discussion, right there with Brady and Montana.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1069 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:40 AM

All of it. Know it all Orlovsky said he would have went 4th and 4. But I agree with you. The biggest thing is taking the ball 1st in OT. The thought being the team who gets the ball second gets 4th downs if the first team scores. Reid says they would have defered had they won the toss and went for 2 if SF had scored a TD in OT.

But IMO its really close. If you match FGs or stops you get the 3rd possesion.

Yeah, choosing the ball in OT was a weird, poor choice.

#1070 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:40 AM

I don't get why people let this bother them. The people that are bothered likely whine about it for much longer than the 25 seconds she's shown on average (SB probably brought that to almost half a minute!).

I don't get why people get bothered by people being bothered. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1071 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:44 AM

I don't get why people get bothered by people being bothered.

I'm not bothered but good try lol.

I just don't get the outrage.

#1072 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:45 AM

Yeah, choosing the ball in OT was a weird, poor choice.

Well maybe not considering the defense could have probably used a rest.

#1073 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:49 AM

Well maybe not considering the defense could have probably used a rest.

Yeah it wasnt some obvious decision

#1074 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:50 AM

I'm not bothered but good try lol.

I just don't get the outrage.

"Get over it! Seriously."

You sound bothered. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1075 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:52 AM

"Get over it! Seriously."

You sound bothered.

Lol OK. I mean this right here is getting annoying I'll grant you.

#1076 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:20 AM

Yeah it wasnt some obvious decision

The advantage of taking second possession is knowing exactly what you need to do to score. Had Kansas City taken the ball first, they would have punted instead of going for it on 4th-and-one, but they knew they were in four-down territory at the outset of the possession. Still, it's something that could be argued either way. 

#1077 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:25 AM

That strategy might rattle some or most QBs had SF gone and scored a TD on the opening drive of OT. It doesn't rattle Mahomes.

#1078 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:27 AM

They're also roasting the front office for not drafting Mahomes. 

#1079 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:29 AM

The advantage of taking second possession is knowing exactly what you need to do to score. Had Kansas City taken the ball first, they would have punted instead of going for it on 4th-and-one, but they knew they were in four-down territory at the outset of the possession. Still, it's something that could be argued either way. 

You also have to take into account your defense. SF was just on the field for a drive that tied the game. If they needed a breather, you take the ball I guess, instead of putting a gassed unit out there. 

Even though the postseason OT rules were in effect for the first time since they came up with them about 4 years ago, the game still played out like the regular season rules. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1080 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:50 AM

You also have to take into account your defense. SF was just on the field for a drive that tied the game. If they needed a breather, you take the ball I guess, instead of putting a gassed unit out there. 

Even though the postseason OT rules were in effect for the first time since they came up with them about 4 years ago, the game still played out like the regular season rules. 

Modern day kickers also factor in, I believe. In this case, you had on one side a guy who had hit two field goals from 50+ and on the other, a guy who set a Super Bowl record from 57 yards out. Even though San Fran had managed only a field goal on their possession, the best Butker could do was tie the game again, not win it.

Might also explain Dan Campbell going for it twice in that NFC championship. I know that's "who they were" during the season, but they were also a team whose kicker was somewhat shaky. Sort of like having a closer who's leading the league in blown saves; it changes your thinking somewhat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=