1094 replies to this topic

#1041 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:54 AM

Taylor isn't even shown that much. Get over it.

Does she need to be shown at all? It’s fine when Kelce makes a play. They showed Brock Purdy’s parents when he was driving in OT. Mahomes runs for a 5 yards to pick up a first down…cut to Taylor? That doesn’t make sense. Cut to Mahomes’ wife. 49ers kicker coming on the field, cut to…Taylor nervously biting her nails? Where are the kickers family members?

It’s excessive. It’s not her fault. A certain demographic we don’t need to discuss here is insane and exaggerates the excessiveness. If on a scale of 1-10 the excessiveness is in reality a 5, they think it’s about a 30.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1042 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:59 AM

Taylor and the Kelce family were in the same suite. Seems like Kelce may have flipped the bill for it, though.

Just Saw a picture of them there. TV just didn’t capture it. Looked like a tight fit for $250k a seat.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1043 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:59 AM

Does she need to be shown at all? It’s fine when Kelce makes a play. They showed Brock Purdy’s parents when he was driving in OT. Mahomes runs for a 5 yards to pick up a first down…cut to Taylor? That doesn’t make sense. Cut to Mahomes’ wife. 49ers kicker coming on the field, cut to…Taylor nervously biting her nails? Where are the kickers family members?

It’s excessive. It’s not her fault. A certain demographic we don’t need to discuss here is insane and exaggerates the excessiveness. If on a scale of 1-10 the excessiveness is in reality a 5, they think it’s about a 30.

Get over it. Seriously. Like how do some of y'all let this affect you? It's been less than 25 seconds per 3+ hour broadcast leading up to the Superbowl.
  • makoman likes this

#1044 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 01:00 AM

A lot of people are hating on Mahomes.  I get that.  Same thing happened on Brady.  Mahomes did not have a great game that resulted in a 42-10 type of win.  But when it counted, he came up huge.  That's what a QB is supposed to do.  He made a couple of runs, a couple of quick flips and he did what needed to be done to win the game.  

That's what clutch players do.  They show up big at the times that are needed.  He is the best QB in the game and it is not even close.  Next year, KC can go for the three-peat that no NFL team has ever done in the SB era.  I would not be surprised to see them get that.  

I wonder how all of the people who wrote KC off middle of this season feel now.  They weren't the best team in the NFL, not even the best team in the AFC, yet they have the pedigree that enabled them to win, yet again. 

#1045 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:00 AM

He made two do or die drives at the end of the games. The thing is in football youre just going to have numerous games that are tight late. To have an absolute killer that feels like hes never gonna miss is huge. Especially the bigger the game. QB is still by far the most valuable single position played in an American team sport.

I would argue pitching is equally as valuable in baseball as QB play is to football. Certainly close enough to avoid usage of “by far the most valuable…”

#1046 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:54 AM

I would argue pitching is equally as valuable in baseball as QB play is to football. Certainly close enough to avoid usage of “by far the most valuable…”

A SP starts roughly 20% of is teams games. A QB is 100%. I guess a better way t put it is the a QB will take 100% or very close to 100% of his teams offensive snaps.  A pitcher will throw a fraction of his teams innings pitched. SO even if a pitcher is as valuable or even more valuable  in the games they pitch they just dont throw enough of their teams innings to impact in the same way as a QB. 

I think a hockey goalie is probably pretty high up on the list too but I dont watch enough hockey to know how I would compare his impact to a QB.

• makoman likes this

#1047 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:11 AM

It was a good game. Sloppy early though.

Feel bad for Greenlaw. Freak step and, poof. Brutal.

Kelce can piss right off. If any other player put their hands on the head coach ready to fight, they’d be benched. What a jerk. I hope his girlfriend cheats on him.

I was rooting for SF the whole time. And when Mahomes stared and threw at double covered Kelce with Rice wide open for a walk in TD at the end of regulation, I thought that was the blow. Kelces fame and talent and big mouth made Mahomes ignore everyone else. Not the case in the end.

Refs were a zero factor. There was one defensive holding, zero PIs called? That’s got to be a first.

Incredible play design on the winning play. Jealous that it’s that easy to put one in the end zone when you need it.

Romo is absolutely insufferable in the booth. They have to replace him. His first year he was some genius calling out the Xs and Os on the fly like no one else had done. But the guy can’t shut the hell up. He cutoff or talked over Nantz a few times. Uses every cliche in the book. KC is on the doorstep of winning the Super Bowl and he’s explaining to nana and pappy why the Chiefs aren’t using timeouts, what the clock is doing, said “1st quarter of overtime” about 5 times. Guy just can’t let the moment take over.

Can’t believe I’m going here. Question about Taylor. She goes to games all year and hangs out in a suite with Patrick’s and Travis’ family. Now it’s the Super Bowl. No clue who she was sharing a suite with the 10ish times they cut to her. Never saw the Kelce’s or Mahomes pictured. It was widely reported that the suite prices were insane ($2.5M I read for one!) and the Kelce’s weren’t going to get one. I guarantee Taylor makes more than Travis and Patrick combined. She can’t spring for a suite for her “family”?

They mentioned Mahomes kids names at the podium. Sterling, and Bronze? What’s the 3rd one going to be? Gold? Platnium? Cobalt? Dumb ass names parents give kids these days.

Ok, I’m just Chiefs hating now. Feel like the Ravens facing them at Arrowhead in the season opener is inevitable. Might mean something for playoff seeding, but won’t mean much else.

HOF post.

What Kelce did to Reid should have gotten him a seat on the bench. I would have sent him to the locker room and told him to take off his gear. No excuse for what he did. None.It looks to me like Mahomes and Kelce are out of control on the sidelines. That said, it's obviously working. It will crash hard one day.

Romo is insufferable and Nantz was pretty much openly rooting for the Chiefs. Kind of felt like I was listening to the Chief's radio crew.

It looked like Taylor was hanging more with her friends than the Kelce/Mahomes families. No criticism, she can hang with whoever she wants. My son thought that he saw Lana Del Rey in the suite with her.

It's not Taylor Swift's fault, but the NFL'S focus on their relationship is a bit forced and irritating. I get it. It's like a beauty and the beast situation. However, it's more like Beauty and the douche.

Mahomes is making a strong case for being an all time great. Arguably the greatest of all time. Can't deny the talent and result. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were known as the Glimmer Twins. Mahomes and Kelce are the Dynamic Douche Duo.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1048 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:23 AM

I don't quite get the growing Mahomes hate. Sure he whines to the refs and gets some calls, that's a problem with the league more than anything. Once QBs hit a certain level of hype, they get more calls and they use their "power" to their advantage. Otherwise I think a lot of it is just because he (and the team) keep winning.

It's not like he's been caught or even accused of cheating. Yet. :)

When the broadcast went to commercial at the 2 minute warning, I told the wife and kids... Chiefs are going to stop the 49ers on 3rd and 4, force a FG, Mahomes will drive the Chiefs to a last second FG, and Mahomes will throw a TD to Kelce in OT... cut immediately to Taylor's suite for crying and screaming and celebrating.

#1049 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:32 AM

Romo is definitely horrible.  It's like CBS has to team Nantz up with someone extremely annoying, previously it was Phil Simms.

CBS should ditch Romo and trade for Greg Olson since he's losing his #1 Fox gig to Brady.

• CantonJester likes this

#1050 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:52 AM

Get over it. Seriously. Like how do some of y'all let this affect you? It's been less than 25 seconds per 3+ hour broadcast leading up to the Superbowl.

Lol. Okay. That’s not the point. For me anyway. I’m just saying often the timing makes no sense. It’d be like if Kelce was at the Grammys, and Taylor wins one, he’s there to hug her, great, but then for the next 10 awards she’s not even nominated for they cut to him for 3 seconds to get his reaction. It wouldn’t make sense. Even if it accounts for less than a minute of a 3 hour award show.

You can understand that right? I wouldn’t be telling teenage girls complaining about seeing the football man on tv too much to “get over it.” I’d be like, yeah, the times they choose to show him doesn’t make much sense does it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1051 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:57 AM

SP is more important to a single baseball game than QB is to a single football game. But as others have said, the QB starts every game. If all 5 SP were one guy, that dude would be more important than QB. But even the ace of 5 SP compared to QB is absolutely no contest and the QB is by far more valuable.

#1052 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:00 AM

A SP starts roughly 20% of is teams games. A QB is 100%. I guess a better way t put it is the a QB will take 100% or very close to 100% of his teams offensive snaps.  A pitcher will throw a fraction of his teams innings pitched. SO even if a pitcher is as valuable or even more valuable  in the games they pitch they just dont throw enough of their teams innings to impact in the same way as a QB. 

I think a hockey goalie is probably pretty high up on the list too but I dont watch enough hockey to know how I would compare his impact to a QB.

I wasn’t talking about any individual pitcher. I’m talking about pitching being as determinant of the outcomes of baseball games as much as a quarterback determines outcomes of a football game. Probably more so. 

#1053 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:01 AM

SP is more important to a single baseball game than QB is to a single football game. But as others have said, the QB starts every game. If all 5 SP were one guy, that dude would be more important than QB. But even the ace of 5 SP compared to QB is absolutely no contest and the QB is by far more valuable.

I was referring to the sum of all pitching, ergo - pitching = pitching staff. 

#1054 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:02 AM

Romo is definitely horrible.  It's like CBS has to team Nantz up with someone extremely annoying, previously it was Phil Simms.

CBS should ditch Romo and trade for Greg Olson since he's losing his #1 Fox gig to Brady.

I turned to my wife last night and said, “I can’t believe Tony Romo is the best CBS has to offer here.”

#1055 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:05 AM

I was referring to the sum of all pitching, ergo - pitching = pitching staff.

Yes, but why?

#1056 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:10 AM

I turned to my wife last night and said, “I can’t believe Tony Romo is the best CBS has to offer here.”

Considering Cris Collinsworth and his idiot son continue to be employed by NBC, I don't think Romo is going anywhere unfortunately.

#1057 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:15 AM

Lol. Okay. That’s not the point. For me anyway. I’m just saying often the timing makes no sense. It’d be like if Kelce was at the Grammys, and Taylor wins one, he’s there to hug her, great, but then for the next 10 awards she’s not even nominated for they cut to him for 3 seconds to get his reaction. It wouldn’t make sense. Even if it accounts for less than a minute of a 3 hour award show.

You can understand that right? I wouldn’t be telling teenage girls complaining about seeing the football man on tv too much to “get over it.” I’d be like, yeah, the times they choose to show him doesn’t make much sense does it.

I don't get why people let this bother them. The people that are bothered likely whine about it for much longer than the 25 seconds she's shown on average (SB probably brought that to almost half a minute!).

#1058 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:27 AM

Yes, but why?

I was challenging 2035’s quote:

QB is still by far the most valuable single position played in an American team sport.

#1059 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:37 AM

I was challenging 2035’s quote:

But 5 starting pitchers isn't a single position.

#1060 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:37 AM

The Swift thing is kind of human nature I think.  A large percentage of football fans love the game.  So they see the extra-curricular type stuff as a distraction from the "seriousness" of the game.  It's like the infiltration of a bunch of people who "don't know", or "don't understand", or "don't appreciate" the game.  That's what the mindset is when the broadcast cuts to her.  Hockey purists HATED the glowing puck thing when Fox (?) tried that for a while.  Taylor Swift is sort of a glowing puck addition to the broadcast... that a lot of people who like / love the GAME see more as some schmuck in NY who doesn't give one tiny crap about the game yelling at the production team to get more Taylor shots so the extra 2 million teens watching don't tune out.

Sorta like kids with their musical tastes... they want to champion how great it is, while also shunning anyone who might listen but doesn't look a certain way, and then complain that "their" music doesn't get the respect it deserves.  :)  

For the record, it bugs me that they feel the need to show her reaction specifically to things.  As somewhat of a baseball "purist", I hate the HR or nothing nature of the game now, and the over the top HR celebrations that come with it, and that the broadcasts will highlight the batter's reaction way too long.  Hate it.  Human nature... ;)  We can be an irrationally irritable species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=