Photo

College Football 2023: General Talk (Michigan Wins Title)

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#621 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 26 December 2023 - 11:39 AM

#622 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 12:07 PM

#623 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 12:07 PM

All Bowl Results

https://www.espn.com...hedule-matchups

#624 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 12:09 PM

ESPN: College football bowl takeaways: What we learned from every game

https://www.espn.com...rned-every-game

#625 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 December 2023 - 08:13 PM

People dislike the amount of bowls, transfer portals, guys skipping etc but it’s a good chance to see the next generation of college football.

Kansas State is playing right now and their next QB is really fun to watch.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#626 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2023 - 10:37 AM

I have basically opted out of the Bowl season.  I really dislike how players quit on their team mates and schools and blow off games that should be important to them.  I will check out Maryland and then the playoff games and maybe a little of the Notre Dame game today, but college sports are damaged right now.  Players putting themselves over their team and their commitment sucks IMO.

@mikeghg

#627 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 12:01 PM

CBS Sports: College football predictions, odds: Expert picks for Michigan vs. Alabama, Washington vs. Texas bowl games

https://www.cbssport...xas-bowl-games/

#628 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 01:26 PM

Finally coming into the bowl games that seem somewhat interesting with a little prestige. Gator, Cotton, etc... 

@BSLMikeRandall

#629 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 December 2023 - 02:57 PM

People dislike the amount of bowls, transfer portals, guys skipping etc but it’s a good chance to see the next generation of college football.

Kansas State is playing right now and their next QB is really fun to watch.

At the end of the day, for 60 minutes between the lines, it's still college football. And just like always, some of the games are fun and some are duds, no matter which players are out there.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#630 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 03:17 PM

I have basically opted out of the Bowl season.  I really dislike how players quit on their team mates and schools and blow off games that should be important to them.  I will check out Maryland and then the playoff games and maybe a little of the Notre Dame game today, but college sports are damaged right now.  Players putting themselves over their team and their commitment sucks IMO.

Maybe the players have spent all these years watching the supposed adults in the room (coaches) who bail on their team before the bowl game for more money/prestige elsewhere.....and watched their school's leaders bail on traditions and rivalries for more money in some far flung conference....and then realize that if everyone else is out for themselves and these games don't mean much to the people in charge, why should the players feel any different?

Are college sports damaged? Off the field, hell yes they're damaged. Is it the players fault? Please.

• mweb08 and BSLZackKiesel like this

#631 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,673 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2023 - 05:28 PM

Maybe the players have spent all these years watching the supposed adults in the room (coaches) who bail on their team before the bowl game for more money/prestige elsewhere.....and watched their school's leaders bail on traditions and rivalries for more money in some far flung conference....and then realize that if everyone else is out for themselves and these games don't mean much to the people in charge, why should the players feel any different?

Are college sports damaged? Off the field, hell yes they're damaged. Is it the players fault? Please.

I don't like when coaches bail, and I don't like it when players bail.

Finish the season, then go where ever you want.  What is going on now sucks.  As my mother always used to tell me, two wrongs do not make it right.  

@mikeghg

#632 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 06:39 PM

I don't like when coaches bail, and I don't like it when players bail.

Finish the season, then go where ever you want.  What is going on now sucks.  As my mother always used to tell me, two wrongs do not make it right.  

I'm not going to go on a rant as to how and why college sports got to this point....I've done plenty of that in other threads. Just trust me on this, this isn't the players fault or even the coaches. None of them have had any authority or roles in the decisions that got us here. They're just playing the hand they've been dealt, and in many cases don't have the option of sticking around for a bowl game if they have decided they want to move on for greener pastures.

College football is a rudderless ship with no one looking out for the best interest of the sport, and all the other sports have to follow football for better or (mostly) worse. Those who make the decisions only know two things about college athletics; 1) They themselves were mostly lousy at sports and thus don't really care much beyond.... 2) Football brings in a ton of money.

If you truly do enjoy college sports, just take the games for what they always have been and still are....a bunch of college kids (for now) out there competing at their best for the school they represent. Care about the name of the front of the jerseys, not the back.

I guess that was a rant. Oh well.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#633 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 29 December 2023 - 10:30 PM

Finally coming into the bowl games that seem somewhat interesting with a little prestige. Gator, Cotton, etc... 

Yeah, it might look interesting on paper, but that doesn't guarantee anything. This Cotton Bowl is some of the worst football I've ever seen.

• Mike in STL likes this

#634 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 December 2023 - 11:42 PM

Ohio State looked as interested in winning this game as Mila Kunis is interested in spending a weekend with me in Paris
  • mdrunning likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#635 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, it might look interesting on paper, but that doesn't guarantee anything. This Cotton Bowl is some of the worst football I've ever seen.

Yeah it was brutal.
@BSLMikeRandall

#636 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 09:14 AM

#637 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 05:17 PM

FSU down 28-3.

#638 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 05:45 PM

Florida State clearly doesn't want to be a part of this game. Sucks what happened to them and they're obviously depleted personnel-wise, but this isn't worth watching.

#639 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:39 PM

Every team is depleted except probably the four in the CFP. 

Fun times. 

I guess this is like a winter exhibition. Should count for nothing.

@BSLMikeRandall

#640 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 06:48 PM

Every team is depleted except probably the four in the CFP. 

Some are worse than others. That said, Georgia was clearly motivated to make a statement today, FSU was not.

This game is Exhibit A for those who can't wait for the 12-team playoff. Georgia might still have dominated FSU under those circumstances, but we'd see much more complete rosters and better effort on both sides if this game mattered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=